Author Topic: New Jim Solo Album  (Read 14539 times)

Clarkwork

• got that old time feeling
    • Business Facebook page
Re: New Jim Solo Album
« Reply #180 on: Jun 29, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Never wanted to like something so much than this album....not happening for me.   Some good moments but just not a good album in my opinion
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Varitek

« Reply #181 on: Jun 30, 2018, 11:54 PM »
Iím finding plenty that I like on this one. No Secrets is far and away my favorite tune at this point. These tunes scream ďTake me on the road and play me LIVE & LOUD!!!Ē
The initial excitement with this album for me is slowly turning to disappointment. If he doesnít plan to tour with a full band in the coming months to support this album, then it would seem unlikely that it will happen at all...
ďIím talkiní about sharkiní!!Ē

hendo9591

« Reply #182 on: Jul 01, 2018, 12:24 AM »
The people that donít like this album are either smoking crack or werenít at rough trade

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #183 on: Jul 01, 2018, 08:17 AM »
more listens in, definitely getting some Jack White feels from the fuzzy guitar riffs and even some Iggy with the Stooges feels from the random yelping & laughing. The songwriting can be a bit cliche in spots, but he was admittedly light on editing for this album. As far as the production goes, its a better sounding record than the early Jacket albums but in clear contrast sonically from his most recent albums incl The Waterfall. I think once these songs get out in the wild when he inevitably tours with a full band, people may change their perception on many of these tracks.
Don't you ever turn it off

RobRoy286

• senior member sr.
« Reply #184 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Album keeps getting better for me. I personally LOVE the fuzzy production.

ericm

« Reply #185 on: Jul 01, 2018, 10:40 AM »
The people that donít like this album are either smoking crack or werenít at rough trade

Well maybe it's just bad crack?

I'm not sure how you can compare seeing the album played live to just hearing it on its release though. There's tons of songs on albums from lots of bands I'm not crazy about but love them when seeing them performed live. Jacket included.

There are also lots of songs  and albums that take some warming up to, and need quite a few listens for me. In fact it's pretty common for me even with bands I love.

To each their own though and I'm not going to judge what other people like or dislike.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Lucius

« Reply #186 on: Jul 01, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I half love it, half not bothered. I LOVE Throwback, No Secrets and Out of Time. There are some I really don't like that venture too far into a lame 'dad rock' sound.

I really wanted to like No Use Waiting but the riff is too repetitive for me, it gets annoying. I also can't take All In Your Head seriously, what's with the lisp???

Overall I think it would have worked better an as EP. Like I said there are some good songs but rock is such a tired/dying genre, everything has been done to death, I prefer Jim's other more experimental first two albums. Like others have said I really wanted to love this album and was very excited for it but, something's missing.

+ 1 more vote for The Waterfall being awesome. I rate it above Circuital and Evil Urges, don't get me wrong I dig those albums too but TW was like a breath of fresh air. In Its Infancy is easily in my top 10 Jacket songs. Pure magic!
Twitter - @MrsKray FB - Theboywhokeptfallingover Insta - lleewwiissnneewwttoonn

dogwoody

« Reply #187 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:50 PM »
All I have to say is No Secrets is a BANGING TUNE I MEAN MY GOD

slappymoe

« Reply #188 on: Jul 02, 2018, 07:54 AM »
rock is such a tired/dying genre, everything has been done to death
hey hey, my my
rock and roll can never die

or 

long live rock
be it dead or alive

I think it's a fantastic album if you can just accept it for what it is -  a collection of raw, rowdy rock songs.  it's not gonna change the world or cure disease, it's just a good, fun summer listen.

still not a fan of the production, sounds too much like some Phil Spector wall-of-sound nonsense.  but it is what it is, and I can deal with it.

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #189 on: Jul 02, 2018, 10:02 AM »
you know what's actually dying? using "dad rock" as a pejorative.

What is that even supposed to mean these days? Do people without kids have better taste in music or is that we're out of time (yes I did that) with what's good? Why can't it be "mom rock" as well?

APR

« Reply #190 on: Jul 02, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Cool video featuring Jim discussing the album cover and footage of Jim's conversation with the photographer

https://youtu.be/DXQVU-eizWY

Lucius

« Reply #191 on: Jul 02, 2018, 02:41 PM »

What is that even supposed to mean these days? Do people without kids have better taste in music or is that we're out of time (yes I did that) with what's good? Why can't it be "mom rock" as well?

I have nothing against Dads. I'm always the first to spot a DILF in the vicinity :tongue:

I guess by Dad Rock I just mean something that's light, tame, lacks any edge or bite. I stand by it! I guess I just didn't ever imagine Jim doing anything as cheesey as You Get to Rome. It might grow on me but for now I'll be skipping it, and a few others. 

Now, DILF Rock is definitely something I could get on board with!
Twitter - @MrsKray FB - Theboywhokeptfallingover Insta - lleewwiissnneewwttoonn

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #192 on: Jul 02, 2018, 02:48 PM »

I have nothing against Dads. I'm always the first to spot a DILF in the vicinity :tongue:

I guess by Dad Rock I just mean something that's light, tame, lacks any edge or bite. I stand by it! I guess I just didn't ever imagine Jim doing anything as cheesey as You Get to Rome. It might grow on me but for now I'll be skipping it, and a few others. 

Now, DILF Rock is definitely something I could get on board with!

:grin: :thumbsup: :beer:

(yea, not a get to Rome fan at all)
(also Wilco seems to be the main "dad rock" band people mention but I assume that's people who've never seen them perform Art of Almost)

PJAMVedder

« Reply #193 on: Jul 02, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Been stewing with the album since Friday now. For me, first listen was rough with good moments.

I'm now in love with this album

Stevie

« Reply #194 on: Jul 02, 2018, 07:47 PM »
After three listens, the following is clear to me:

1.  No Secrets is undisputable king, everything else is at least a notch and a half below.

2.  I absolutely cant stand three songs: Fool, Yes to, and Rome.  i know theres a lot of guitar on Yes but its just mindless noise to me and his vocals arent helping.

3.  I like the rest of the songs on a spectrum between a 6.5 and an 8.  (No secrets is a 9.5). 

4.  Eternally Even as a whole album is easily better.  It transcends.  Conversely, Ill probably never want to listen to this album from front to back ever again.  Some of that has to do with how many times ive already heard fool and throwback, but i also dont think the sum is greater than the parts here.  Its just a stack of parts. 

5.  I think this was a release valve for Jim.  Maybe he was feeling creatively stuck, maybe he was feeling restless and frustrated with his usual creative process.  Either way, i think making the album the way he did served a purpose for him and his next work should be pretty damn good once he feels like spending some serious time on something again.

Nikkogino

« Reply #195 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:33 PM »

1.  No Secrets is undisputable king, everything else is at least a notch and a half below.

2.  I absolutely cant stand three songs: Fool, Yes to, and Rome.  i know theres a lot of guitar on Yes but its just mindless noise to me and his vocals arent helping.

3.  I like the rest of the songs on a spectrum between a 6.5 and an 8.  (No secrets is a 9.5). 

4.  Eternally Even as a whole album is easily better.  It transcends.  Conversely, Ill probably never want to listen to this album from front to back ever again.  Some of that has to do with how many times ive already heard fool and throwback, but i also dont think the sum is greater than the parts here.  Its just a stack of parts. 

5.  I think this was a release valve for Jim.  Maybe he was feeling creatively stuck, maybe he was feeling restless and frustrated with his usual creative process.  Either way, i think making the album the way he did served a purpose for him and his next work should be pretty damn good once he feels like spending some serious time on something again.

Yes to Everything is my favorite.

RobRoy286

• senior member sr.
« Reply #196 on: Jul 03, 2018, 08:19 AM »

Yes to Everything is my favorite.
On first listen, Yes to Everything was my least favorite. Now itís my favorite.

PJAMVedder

« Reply #197 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I second Yes to Everything

dookie shoot bandit

« Reply #198 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Yes to Everything  :thumbsup:

But then again Iím a father of 3. So itís prob just lame ol Dad rock  :grin:

millerjustin

« Reply #199 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I was at Rough Trade, so I'm a bit bullish on the whole thing - as with all Jim and MMJ releases, it always sounds better live.

No Secrets grabbed me right away, but now I'm obsessed with All in Your Head - such a dirty crazy horse vibe and I can hear remnants of PJ's "Off He Goes"
What's in here won't disappear