Author Topic: New Jim Solo Album  (Read 13840 times)

dookie shoot bandit

• senior member sr.
Re: New Jim Solo Album
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I thought after this eventful week... single #2 would have been released today  :angry: :cry:

parkervb

• got that old time feeling
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 10:01 AM »
tbh, i was happy that Jim's albums were so different from Jacket because I felt it allowed him another avenue to be creative that didn't quite overlap with Jacket. Now, with this album apparently being more "guitar driven", it gives me a little bit of worry (not a lot) about the future of the band. More so than them playing all the albums at OBH4.

I know the band will get back together at some point but this does make me think the break could be longer than many of us have hoped. Don't bust out the pitchforks, just sharing my thoughts.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 10:05 AM »
tbh, i was happy that Jim's albums were so different from Jacket because I felt it allowed him another avenue to be creative that didn't quite overlap with Jacket. Now, with this album apparently being more "guitar driven", it gives me a little bit of worry (not a lot) about the future of the band. More so than them playing all the albums at OBH4.

I know the band will get back together at some point but this does make me think the break could be longer than many of us have hoped. Don't bust out the pitchforks, just sharing my thoughts.

Hey i agree and don't be afraid to share an opinion. Reality can be scary
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017

MamaKel

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I feel like this album is perhaps the 3rd in a trilogy...
Even the evolution of the album imagery seems to speak of this...
The silhouette of the back turned...the costumed man behind the mask...the illuminated man.
Gods' Man/ROLASOG was the artist controlled by externalities. Eternally Even was the artist speaking and seeking the transcendent truth. What happens to said artist in the "final" saga?

Even though "Just A Fool" seems like a clever 1980s, George Harrison-esque pop song...it has something deeper.
It is "the artist" deciding to change how he constructs his/her own inner narrative. Jim says it is a sarcastic "fuck you" to anyone who has ever called anyone a fool...but also an acknowledgement of all the ways "he" has been a fool.

Pema Chodron, the beloved Buddhist monk says that neuroses and wisdom are inextricably intertwined.  We must be a fool...harmful to ourselves, deceitful, arrogant...before acknowledging the need to throw down the hammer of self harm in order to march our own way.
This song feels really close to my own lived experience. Almost uncomfortably. And where once, in more insecure times, it would almost felt like an indictment to listen to it, as it did on "Actress" on ROLASOG, now it is light...humorous...an opportunity to acknowledge my awkward humanness, and all its random provocations.

Pretty excited about this record. I secretly hope the trilogy feeling abides, but only if it wants to.

MMJTX

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Did anyone pick up the 7" clear vinyl Jim released yesterday with 'Just a Fool' and track called 'Yaki Soba'??

I grabbed one yesterday at Good Records in Dallas, haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.carolinestorefinder.com/jimjames/
Anytime

subinai

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Did anyone pick up the 7" clear vinyl Jim released yesterday with 'Just a Fool' and track called 'Yaki Soba'??

I called the Austin stores but they said they didnt have it. I'll try again.

justbcuzido

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 01:33 PM »

Waterloo has a few copies still. I just snagged one today.

On a quick listen Yaki Soba is a fun fuzzed out pop rock song with catchy riff.

Where Just A Fool feels more anthemic, this tune is much more laid back.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

subinai

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 05:21 PM »

Waterloo has a few copies still. I just snagged one today.

On a quick listen Yaki Soba is a fun fuzzed out pop rock song with catchy riff.

Where Just A Fool feels more anthemic, this tune is much more laid back.

THANK YOU - just put one on hold.

d_wil

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Grabbed one in Johnson City, TN! Can't believe it was only $2...  :thumbsup:

CountSA

• senior member sr.
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 08:35 PM »
If anyone is able to grab an extra for me it would be greatly appreciated! 

subinai

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24 AM »
the price surprised me too! Wonder if this "coupon" works for the ATO pre-orders?

MOWJO8185

• senior member sr.
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Throwback is streaming! Sounds GREAT.

Murph

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 09:47 AM »

Jbpats

• senior member sr.
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 11:09 AM »

Not going to be a popular opinion but this album is 0-2 for me right now. Not a fan of just a fool, I thought it might grow on me but after 10 or so listens I think it's safe to say i'm not a fan.. and i've never liked Throwback, possibly the song I dislike the most in MMJ's entire catalogue. I was hoping the album gave it a different spin, but it didn't.

Still have hope, Same Old Lie was my least favorite song on his last album and i loved everything else on it.

MamaKel

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2018, 11:28 AM »
When I first heard "Throwback", I was taken aback by how kitschy and soundtrack-y it sounded, but I think on a meta level, that is kind of the point. There is kind of a Dion "Teenager-in-Love" quality...that represents the language and tone of the time...
while on the other hand, kind of mockingly speaking to the arrested development that social media imposes on grown-ass people in the modern era. I think given the theme of the album, it makes sense. I genuinely like this arrangement better than the ones that have come before, but I don't know that it is a favorite. Live changes everything. It has the potential to get real weird and distorted and fuzzy, which would be dope. A weird castanet-style drum thing would be cool.

subinai

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52 AM »
i love this song. Has a special place for me though seeing it at their ACL recording the day after my wedding.  <3

searchinbig

• ...You never gotta fight with me......
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Is that the git we spotted on tv last week?? That has a raw, sooooo kick ass sound. Can't wait to hear the vinyl!!
Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule.

dookie shoot bandit

• senior member sr.
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27 PM »

Just picked it up!
Found it at Vintage Vinyl in Woodbridge, NJ

dookie shoot bandit

• senior member sr.
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Just listened to Throwback about 20 times on my way in to work. Im really excited and have high hopes for this album!!

As I am driving, I got to thinking.
With the inclusion of Throwback ...
What are the possibilities?
That this album.... is and was supposed to be, The Waterfall: B Sides/Part 2???🤔

RobRoy286

• senior member sr.
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Fuckin love Theowback. Of course I wish it were saved for a Jacket album, but Im just happy it wasnt forgotten. Super excited for the album.