New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

rkwedge

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Apr 17, 2018, 12:54 PM
Interesting read regarding the new album cover, and the lengths it took Jim to get the rights to use it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/04/17/603048490/jim-james-decries-blanket-distortion-in-society-with-new-song-album
That's a cool story, Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

APR

Awesome news.  Ordered.  Even though I'll listen on Spotify a thousand times more often, I like supporting JJ or ATO in this tiny way. 

Great read above about JJ's passion and getting the green light regarding permission to use the photo.

Very interesting that Throwback is on the list.  I so hope to hear that live again...... please summer tour!!

Mr. White

Jim posted this a few hours ago on Instagram.

"removador - hello duane- your piece "the illuminated man" was used in "the last whole earth catalogue" in 1971. i wasnt even born yet. i was born in 1978...but i found my copy of "the last whole earth catalogue" about 6 months ago in a thrift store and it blew my mind. i have been feeling increasingly overwhelmed by the speed of technology and its place in our lives and here was this beautiful book/catalogue from the past showing me me all these beautiful things and amazing images to help one learn different ways to look at the world... or "get off the grid?" funny they had no idea back then just how crazy "the grid" would get. or did they? so i am trying to put down my phone... use the computer and social media less... and just focus on real life and the people i love and my art. of course i am not fully "off the grid" because i am sending you this email in hopes of you changing your mind about letting me use your image as it appeared in "the last whole earth catalogue" in 1971 because when i saw it on the page there it spoke to me so deeply of how my head feels like it is exploding with the amount of information we are forced to consume on a daily basis and how that information is so DISTORTED there is almost no longer any tangible truth. the name of my new record is "UNIFORM DISTORTION" because i feel like there is this blanket distortion on society/media and the way we gather our "news" and important information...and more and more of us are feeling lost and looking for new ways out of this distortion and back to the truth...and finding hope in places like the desert where i write this email to you now...finding hope in the land and in the water and in old books offering new ideas and most importantly in each other and love. i feel like there was a reason i found "the last whole earth catalogue" and there was a reason your art spoke to me... and i really think it would speak to others who would see it exploding out at them illuminating from the record store shelf or the glow of their phone or computer screen and feel its organic mind blowing distortion connect with this new music.
i hope you are well and thanks for listening-
jim james"
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rna2525

Truly an amazing album name. Makes my mind go wild with possibilities!

DaydreamNation

Eh, new song is fine and nothing more. Cool to hear him going with a more rocking sound for a solo record though! Still excited for the record, and especially excited to get a studio version of "Throwback" after two years!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

oistheone

Happy to see 'Throwback' finally find a home, but a bit disappointed it's not on an MMJ album. Hope the studio version lives up to those smokin' band takes and also praying it stays in the MMJ canon once the guys start touring again!

Lucius

You can listen to previews of the entire album on iTunes. I contemplated waiting until the release to listen to it but that idea sank within 10 seconds. I'm impressed, it's all very upbeat and sunny. The production is honestly flawless, a real raw band sound. I'm gonna be playing this record a lot this summer! "Out of Time" especially sounds very big, that riff!!!! Throwback literally sounds exactly like the live version, especially Jims vocals.

(I'd also like to add my list of names to those who loved Eternally Even, In The Moment is my fave Jim song by a long shot. So smooth and sexy!!)
it wouldn't be a party without you

Jackets N Pones

Awesome news, can't wait for tour dates and I hope it is the same backing band! Yeayuhhhhhhhhhh
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

CountSA

Quote from: Lucius on Apr 18, 2018, 07:07 AM
You can listen to previews of the entire album on iTunes. I contemplated waiting until the release to listen to it but that idea sank within 10 seconds. I'm impressed, it's all very upbeat and sunny. The production is honestly flawless, a real raw band sound. I'm gonna be playing this record a lot this summer! "Out of Time" especially sounds very big, that riff!!!! Throwback literally sounds exactly like the live version, especially Jims vocals.

(I'd also like to add my list of names to those who loved Eternally Even, In The Moment is my fave Jim song by a long shot. So smooth and sexy!!)

It seems you can't preview the whole thing anymore, unless I'm missing something?

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: CountSA on Apr 18, 2018, 10:06 AM
Quote from: Lucius on Apr 18, 2018, 07:07 AM

It seems you can't preview the whole thing anymore, unless I'm missing something?

I tried as well, and no preview for me either

Lucius

Maybe it's just on the UK store (possibly others) it used to be possible to switch over, I assume you still can! :smiley:

I really hope we get some UK tour dates this time around.

wheelhousetunes

I LOVE the new song. Thank God he's getting back to the guitar and rockin' out because I frankly didn't dig his two previous offerings.

justbcuzido

Quote from: Lucius on Apr 18, 2018, 10:42 AM
Maybe it's just on the UK store (possibly others) it used to be possible to switch over, I assume you still can! :smiley:

I really hope we get some UK tour dates this time around.

Someone in the UK with a bit of tech chops, help us less fortunate folks out and record the snippets! Please and thank you!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Stevie

Damn, doesnt come out til June 26th??? 

At least the prospect of a tour is exciting. 

Being from Milwaukee, I really hope he doesnt waste a stop on Summer Fest.  Absolutely the worst place to see a show and just not the right crowd for him. 

Lucius

The previews have now disappeared! The only way I can describe it for anyone that wants to know is a real summertime, driving with the windows down and volume UP kind of album. Imagine the heavier live Compound Fracture x10.

justbcuzido

Quote from: Lucius on Apr 24, 2018, 06:30 PM
The previews have now disappeared! The only way I can describe it for anyone that wants to know is a real summertime, driving with the windows down and volume UP kind of album. Imagine the heavier live Compound Fracture x10.

Sweet! So a pretty guitar heavy album (compared to the other solo efforts)? Thanks!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Cameron

APR

I keep waiting for another single and especially a tour announcement.  I'm thinking next week, which would be a two month notice for July dates.  If nothing next week, then many weeks and I'll postpone my hopes for fall or winter. 

jimsflyingv

Quote from: wheelhousetunes on Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 AM
....Thank God he's getting back to the guitar and rockin' out because I frankly didn't dig his two previous offerings.
Same here, not a big fan of his last two solo albums. Jim is on record saying that he wanted the next Jacket album to be more Rock and Roll....hope this new Solo album is not done instead of a Jacket Rock Album.....anyway great to hear that Jim is back to the guitar and rockinĀ“!!!!