New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subinai

hard to imagine these being MMJ songs aside from Throwback (since it was already played live)

dookie shoot bandit

Local Record Store just called and said my copy of the album is in and ready to be picked up!
Picking up after work... can't wait to give it a listen!!

WickedMessenger

Anticipation is high now, looking forward to getting the CD. Is a CD more old school than vinyl these days?
I was puzzled by Eternally Even when it came out but after settling into the repeating riffs and heavy keyboards it became a favorite.  Not expecting a similar sound for this album. 

Mr. White

Since this isn't on the album and only the B Side of the single, I thought I'd share it here and only here. It's "Unlisted" on YouTube.

"Yaki Soba" - (Unlisted on YouTube)

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Roll Call!!!

How many got "Download limit reached" the first time you tried to download the new album and had to contact customer service to have them "reset" it?

1. johnnYYac
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

dookie shoot bandit

Just listened to the full album twice through... and I have to say, it's fantastic!!  :cheesy:
Vinyl definitely does this album much justice and sounds great in all its griminess.

2 initial standout favorites for me are "Yes to Everything" and "Too Good To Be True".

Cheers to a great weekend of listening everyone!! :beer:

slappymoe

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jun 28, 2018, 01:06 AM
Vinyl definitely does this album much justice and sounds great in all its griminess.

all week the usps tracking said my shipment would arrive Monday.

this morning, it says it's out for delivery today! 

I'm not thrilled with the album's production, but if I can learn to love two of the worst-sounding classics, "tommy" and "all things must pass," I can deal with anything.

Nikkogino

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 28, 2018, 06:02 AM

I'm not thrilled with the album's production, but if I can learn to love two of the worst-sounding classics, "tommy" and "all things must pass," I can deal with anything.
Weirdly enough, I like the production.  I think it fits the intended feel/themes of the album.

slappymoe

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 28, 2018, 06:11 AM
Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 28, 2018, 06:02 AM

Weirdly enough, I like the production.  I think it fits the intended feel/themes of the album.
hopefully cranking the vinyl up to 11 will give me a different perspective :beer:

hoojack

Quote from: Cameron on Jun 27, 2018, 02:52 PM
No Secrets is probably my fave after first listen.

Jim doing his best Stevie nicks? This track screams Fleetwood Mac to me. And I'm actually ok with that.

sillyboob

Quote from: hoojack on Jun 28, 2018, 09:29 AM

Jim doing his best Stevie nicks? This track screams Fleetwood Mac to me. And I'm actually ok with that.

Yup, totally agree.  The wife & I were listening to the album last night in the jacuzzi and we had the Fleetwood Mac conversation when we heard this one. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

parkervb

one listen in and it's already my favorite of his solo works. No Secrets and Yes to Everything are great. Is the closing track an original? I like it quite a bit too
Don't you ever turn it off

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 28, 2018, 10:41 AM

Yup, totally agree.  The wife & I were listening to the album last night in the jacuzzi and we had the Fleetwood Mac conversation when we heard this one. 

Wow, I can definitely see that.
It's weird too... I have been on a Fleetwood Mac binge kick the last 2 weeks

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 28, 2018, 11:16 AM
one listen in and it's already my favorite of his solo works. No Secrets and Yes to Everything are great. Is the closing track an original? I like it quite a bit too

Agreed! Definitely my favorite of the 3 albums already

Come Closer

On a lot of this, I kinda get these 60s bouncy soul/pop/rock vibes with heavier guitar and muddy production. It works for me.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 28, 2018, 02:30 PM
On a lot of this, I kinda get these 60s bouncy soul/pop/rock vibes with heavier guitar and muddy production. It works for me.

Agree.
Yes to Everything is like a punk rock version of a Beach Boys song!
Hahhaha

Emotion Detector

After hearing the album and digging how guitar oriented it is, I'm a little disappointed Jim is choosing to do a solo acoustic tour instead of bringing along a full band. I feel like a lot of the tracks won't translate well to acoustic guitar...

What do you guys think?

Come Closer

It is career spanning, so I could see it being fairly light (handful) on the new songs.

"I am looking forward to exploring all sorts of songs stripped down as they first occurred in their natural habitat, just voice and guitar"

I'm picturing what Vedder did when he went on tour after Into the Wild. Or Cornell's solo act.

Emotion Detector

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 28, 2018, 05:17 PM
It is career spanning, so I could see it being fairly light (handful) on the new songs.

"I am looking forward to exploring all sorts of songs stripped down as they first occurred in their natural habitat, just voice and guitar"

I'm picturing what Vedder did when he went on tour after Into the Wild. Or Cornell's solo act.

I think that sounds like a cool idea.

I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of Jacket tracks in their early stages. On the other hand, I think the new Jim record is just so heavy and part of me would rather see those songs live with a band.

I caught Jim solo last November in Louisville and while it was neat hearing stripped down versions of Throwback, State of the Art, and I'm Amazed, I found myself wishing it was a full band experience.

I'm thinking maybe we'll see some of these new solo tracks in future My Morning Jacket shows?

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jun 28, 2018, 12:22 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 28, 2018, 10:41 AM

Wow, I can definitely see that.
It's weird too... I have been on a Fleetwood Mac binge kick the last 2 weeks

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/2018/06/29/news/album-reviews-john-coltrane-jim-james-gorillaz-johnny-jewel-sons-of-bill-1367363/

Review feels the same comparison