Feb 23, 2019, 07:34 am

New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJTX

All In Your Head definitely climbed up the board of fave songs for me over the weekend while listening to the album.
and also put me down as a big ol thumbs up for this album  :thumbsup:
Anytime

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: MMJTX on Jul 03, 2018, 01:54 pm
All In Your Head definitely climbed up the board of fave songs for me over the weekend while listening to the album.
and also put me down as a big ol thumbs up for this album  :thumbsup:


I took a 4 hour road trip up to upstate New York this weekend, and listened to the album a bunch.
All in Your Head got better with each listen I thought too.
After numerous repeat listens my order is:
- yes to everything
- too good to be true
- no secrets
- out of time
- all in your head
- throwback
- no use waiting
- over and over
- better late than never
- you get to rome
- just a fool

Stevie

At the end of the day, most of us got 7-8 somgs we really like out of this album, and there could be some huge additions to the jacket setlist in there.  So its a big win.


HardNightConformist

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 05, 2018, 10:55 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.salon.com/amp/jim-james-solo-album-uniform-distortion-interview

Great interview with Jim, regarding the new album


Great interview.

Find the timing funny that he just recently was the one to go back and "perfect" It Still Moves and put out a Re-Mastered version. Guess the pendulum swung back hard the other way.

Stevie

Haha, i never thought about that. Very true. 

And honestly, that whole process is probably directly responsible for how he felt going into making Distortion.  Seems like he was just tapped out when it came to fine tuning things.  Hopefully his next release finds him balancing that line masterfully.  However, if Distortion proves anything its that as long as Jim is excited about what hes doing, hes going to make some great songs. 


Murph

I would have to also put No Secrets as the best of the bunch here

Brother Beck

I have to echo what others are saying with No Secrets being the best of the bunch.  In some of the songs the vocals are extremely hard to hear and I feel like I'm straining to make him out.  Throwback in particular sounds to me like they threw a big wet heavy blanket over the microphone and then had him sing from the other side of of the room.  That one was a huge disappointment for me cuz I've been waiting years for a studio version of that song. 

Can anyone tell me how this sounds for them on vinyl?  I get the feeling with this album that it should be played from some kind of physical analog source.  This whole batch of songs and the ideas around it make digital mp3's seem like the least ideal way to listen.  The production definitely gets in the way for me on some of the songs but I keep listening to see if things click for me because I love more guitar oriented rocking out Jim and he seems really invigorated here. 

Jackets N Pones

My favorites so far are

1. No Secrets
2. All in Yo Head
3. Too Good to Be True
4. Just a Fool
5. Throwback

I am hearing a vibe from his new basement tapes recordings that seems to have opened the door for this album's sound, especially Down on the Bottom, which I love. I know DOTB were not his lyrics but I love the simplicity of the rhythm (more "circular" if you will :wink:) which allow freedom for killer solos on the back end.
Computron, your answer to everything.

robb

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jul 06, 2018, 07:17 pm
I have to echo what others are saying with No Secrets being the best of the bunch.  In some of the songs the vocals are extremely hard to hear and I feel like I'm straining to make him out.  Throwback in particular sounds to me like they threw a big wet heavy blanket over the microphone and then had him sing from the other side of of the room.  That one was a huge disappointment for me cuz I've been waiting years for a studio version of that song. 

Can anyone tell me how this sounds for them on vinyl?  I get the feeling with this album that it should be played from some kind of physical analog source.  This whole batch of songs and the ideas around it make digital mp3's seem like the least ideal way to listen.  The production definitely gets in the way for me on some of the songs but I keep listening to see if things click for me because I love more guitar oriented rocking out Jim and he seems really invigorated here. 


the record sounds great!
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Nikkogino

Pitchfork gave it a glowing review......and a 7.6 rating.

Lonndown27

My god....

I've been listening to this a LOT and ..... wow


Jim....how could you not have recorded this with MMJ? oh my god....stuff like Too Good To Be true and THE BEST FUCKING SONG JIM JAMES HAS WROTE SINCE CIRCUITAL "NO SECRETS ".... it hits me like white lightning EVERY time....

It's almost as if this record is too good to be true. Naysayers have your day, but it'll be swallowed by the mounds of fuzz and the most haunting Jim James vocals we've ever heard. Let's be honest Jacket fans , this man's songwriting is what we cherish most about this band. And, when something like THIS mammoth comes out as only a solo record, it hurts a bit cause it's so good, it should have the band's fingerprints on it....

All in Your Head is  total loveletter to rock and roll defeating disassociation. My girlfriend will love this song. We're fucking HERE RIGHT NOW...


While saying that....this album, from whoever Jim played with Dave Givan on drums I knew that, is a monster. Jesusfuck Jim goes boogaloo on our ass at times. He lets loose and we are much better people for it. I haven't ever dug his excursions away from the Jacket, always loved the songs no matter what they're Jim's and they're powerful lightning in a bottle, but i wish they were ALL Jacket songs.

But coming soon, to a theater near you in 2019, they will be...

Just imagine....this band MMJ, ending a 3 hour show  at Red rocks with the epic twofer of Phone Went West into Too Good To Be true.....

Wow.....
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017

slappymoe

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jul 09, 2018, 08:01 pm
Jesusfuck Jim
:huh:

your enthusiasm and love for the band is awesome, but if my devout catholic mom was still alive, she would surely die if she read one of your profanity-laden posts.

Lonndown27

Quote from: slappymoe on Jul 10, 2018, 09:42 am
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jul 09, 2018, 08:01 pm
Jesusfuck Jim
:huh:

your enthusiasm and love for the band is awesome, but if my devout catholic mom was still alive, she would surely die if she read one of your profanity-laden posts.


Well luckily she isn't hahah what's so wrong about the post? Listen to Jim talk and you'll get 6 or 7 fucks out of nowhere and even in formal settings.

To the point, this album is pure divinity. There's some songs i skip, but they keep coming back to me in waves of desire. Holy fuckin shit i wish this was a Jacket album. WHO HERE EOULD PAY BIG MONEY TO HEAR CARL WAILING ON THIS RECORD?? I keep thinking that.

I love Jim's guitar tone, his style, his vibe, his sound, it's become instantly recognizable with the impact of reverb not shadowing the vocals since 2005, but is now caking the guitar. Then he's got his out of control octave pedal sounds he uses on the most blistering of Jacket material.

What we miss is that harmony that's always dangling there in the chords and the solos, there's always another riff going that doesn't take away but completes the song. 

Here we get Jim raging with himself and myyyy gawwwwd is it DISGUSTING but.... i would be oh so lying, and so would all of us, if we said its better as a solo album and not as a record with MMJ.

But im so glad it exists for them to further these songs' journey live
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017

SplatSplatSplat

Glad you guys like it. I think it's mediocre at best. But I'm thrilled he got this stuff out on a solo record vs putting it out under MMJ.  Hopefully these songs don't take up valuable setlist spots on future MMJ shows.  Well, unless they get back to 08-09 style 28 song sets. Good beer-break songs for sure.
You need it.  That's for sure.

unravelled

^^^^^^

Thank you for your eloquent and thought provoking critique.

PJAMVedder

Great record

Just a Fool I heard plenty before record dropped and You Get To Rome is ok

After that, this album is straight fire, love it!

Jackets N Pones

Is this an '89 Batman reference?

Just a fool getting by
Just a fool doing alright
Just a fool getting by
Just a fool doing alright
And dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight
Just a fool, just a fool
Just a fool, just a fool
Computron, your answer to everything.

Lonndown27

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on Jul 11, 2018, 02:58 pm
Is this an '89 Batman reference?

Just a fool getting by
Just a fool doing alright
Just a fool getting by
Just a fool doing alright
And dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight
Just a fool, just a fool
Just a fool, just a fool

Of course it is hahah it's Jim!!! I relate to his humor so much with this kinda stuff as i grew up on that Batman
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017

unravelled

Commenting on just a fool, I like to think of the lead guitar as more of a rhythm guitar. IMHO, just a fool is really a great high energy, dirty  groove track.

I have a friend that is having trouble getting over the repetitive "lead" guitar.  This song really opens up when focusing on everything else that's going on and listening to the guitar as more of the backing rhythm to the song.

I personally love this as an opener. 

I've also taken a more restrictive approach to consuming Uniform Distortion.   Giving it a nice slow burn, a creeper if you will. Trying to savor it like a fine wine rather than taking a screwdriver to shotgun a PBR. :)