Main Menu

Middle Western

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 24, 2018, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

My newest obsession is a local supergroup, Middle Western. Co-fronted by William Elliot Whitmore (bass/vocals) and David Zollo from here in Iowa City (keyboards/vocals), this 5-piece evokes The Wallflowers, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, The Band, Little Feat, and countless other influences.

https://www.facebook.com/MiddleWestern1/

https://twitter.com/middlewestern1?lang=en

I can only find one live video, from last year.

Here's audio of the track "Help Me" from their debut album, When Your Demons Are Underground and You've Got To Dig Them Up.

The album is great, but the vinyl pressing of 200 sold out online and is only available at shows. CD may be out soon. Tour is also limited to Iowa, except for a date in Chicago.

4/14 Iowa City,IA at Gabe's - I was at this amazing album release show, historic!
5/18 Dubuque, IA at Dubuque Fest
5/19 Des Moines at Wooly's - I'll be there, and it falls on my birthday!
6/16 Cedar Rapids at Indian Creek Nature Center - hoping to bring the whole family
6/29 Chicago, IL at Reggie's
7/14 Lone Tree, IA at Camp Euforia
8/11 Lone Tree, IA at Flat Black Studio's Grey Area - waiting for details...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

MMJTX

Anytime

johnnYYac

I got the band's permission to put their album on YouTube while they're pressing more vinyl and CDs. If you like it, there's a link to Will Whitmore's webstore. Only CD presale is up at the moment.

I've got 2 copies left of 5 botched CDs to give away to the next two people who ask for one. The first run of CDs has tracks 1 and 7 switched. I prefer the correct order, as I've listened to it daily since early April. But each song stands on its own and they play it out of order live, along with covers like Powderfinger.

Behold... Middle Western

oistheone

Really diggin' what I'm hearing! Thanks for the heads up!

bschulze1726

Dave Zollo was also in a band in the mid 90's called High and Lonesome. 
They were great, but had to call it short due to Dave Zollo having throat issues
that sidelined him for quite a while.  Try and take a listen to that.

johnnYYac

CDs are spoken for and in the mail. God, I love this album. I still listen to it daily. I've got tickets to see them live in a few weeks, my third show in as many months, and maybe one last time in August. Then, they're on hiatus through 2019 while William Elliott Whitmore has a big solo tour.

johnnYYac

He told me to expect a second Middle Western album coming, too!

johnnYYac

CDs are up, only $10:

http://store.williamelliottwhitmore.com/product/middle-western-vinyl-record

Another vinyl pressing is planned. First run of only 200 sold out but for a few at their merch table. Sounds great on the turntable!

sillyboob

So I was a lucky recipient of one of Johnny's cds, and I got to say, I dig it.  I hear a lot of different artists in these songs.  J. Roddy, the Drive-by Truckers, 70s southern rock, Long Beach's own Rival Sons, the Afghan Whigs here and there, maybe some Ryan Adams.

Really enjoying the cd - so many thanks Johnny!! I recommend picking it up!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rkwedge

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 04, 2018, 10:46 AM
So I was a lucky recipient of one of Johnny's cds, and I got to say, I dig it.  I hear a lot of different artists in these songs.  J. Roddy, the Drive-by Truckers, 70s southern rock, Long Beach's own Rival Sons, the Afghan Whigs here and there, maybe some Ryan Adams.

Really enjoying the cd - so many thanks Johnny!! I recommend picking it up!
I also was lucky enough to get one from John. I can see why he likes them so much, very good. I also get a late 70's early 80's southern rock type vibe from them. Thanks so much John and let us know if they repress to vinyl as I'd like to buy it on vinyl.  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

subinai

Really digging this album! William Elliott Whitmore can't go wrong!

johnnYYac

Quote from: bschulze1726 on May 27, 2018, 10:41 AM
They were great, but had to call it short due to Dave Zollo having throat issues
I love it! Thanks for making me aware of High and Lonesome. All I have is what Spotify can offer, but its fantastic.

johnnYYac

221 views in 18 days and counting... Still loving me some Middle Western!

rkwedge

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 12, 2018, 02:06 PM
221 views in 18 days and counting... Still loving me some Middle Western!

John, Are you their manager?  :grin: :grin: :grin:

johnnYYac

Ha, no. Just an inspired fan trying to spread the word. I can't explain, 'cept to say its sort of like when I discovered MMJ, except without a massive back catalog of albums and live shows to dig in to. I'm seeing my third show on Saturday and once more in August.

rkwedge

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 12, 2018, 02:25 PM
Ha, no. Just an inspired fan trying to spread the word. I can't explain, 'cept to say its sort of like when I discovered MMJ, except without a massive back catalog of albums and live shows to dig in to. I'm seeing my third show on Saturday and once more in August.
I hear you, I think their really good too. I've got some great music recommendations off this forum and I appreciate it. It's hard for an old guy like me in a small town without a record store to discover new music. Seattle/Portland record stores love it when I'm in town.  :beer:

bschulze1726

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 06, 2018, 05:13 PM
Quote from: bschulze1726 on May 27, 2018, 10:41 AM
I love it! Thanks for making me aware of High and Lonesome. All I have is what Spotify can offer, but its fantastic.
Dave Zollo's stuff is quite a bit easier to find and is solid as well.  Unfortunately, High and Lonesome is difficult to find. 

johnnYYac

How great is this? I talked to David Zollo just before Middle Western's set last week, told him I wanted to hear some High and Lonesome, but its hard to find. He's burning and mailing me their discography!