Author Topic: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.  (Read 1445 times)

MamaKel

Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:33 PM »
I would like to begin this by saying that I have loved this band with my whole soul for many years. And I have loved the artists they collaborate(d) with, especially the hometown crew of Kevin Ratterman, Dave Givan, Alex Smith, DMM, Ben Sollee, Joan Shelley, etc. etc.
I recently read that Kevin was leaving LaLa Land behind to start a studio in L.A., presumably with Jim. Now, I firmly believe that everyone has a right to decide their own destiny, and when you get called to the big leagues after a bunch of hard work, you answer the call...
But I just don't understand how you can spend your whole career talking about the importance of local shit...of crate digging...of the weird and left behind...of the importance of engaged civil disobedience...of social justice and sustainable contribution...and then just kind of abandon that for the Los Angeles machine?

I know everyone is on Jim and Jacket high with all the excitement of the soundboards, and the new Jim stuff...but this is stuff I think about.  I don't know the music industry. I don't necessarily think that someone should stay in the same place forever out of obligation...especially when, like in Scripture, "the prophet was not welcomed in his home town", or anything to the effect therein.

But our country needs real help. It needs people willing to sacrifice and stay in "less than desirable" places, and to cultivate the culture...especially as education and the arts are constantly under threat.

I guess that the announcement of the shows in NYC and LA and the expensive ass scalped tickets just made me sad. Because it reminded me that there are so many places that are SO in need of talented people like Jim and Kevin...who can mentor artists who would otherwise have no chance...who have voices and perspectives not represented in major metropolitan areas.

Maybe that is me projecting what I thought this band, and the people they make music with,  valued. And that is why I love(d) them.

I ask this to have a legitimate conversation about art, business, and American culture...not to troll. I want to know what real music lovers think...not sycophants.  Deep in my heart, I just can't support it if it feels disingenuous and consumer driven. Again, there is nothing wrong with making money. It is about where resources are truly needed...and how to create wealth utilizing those resources for the sustainable prosperity of all.

Mr. White

• got that old time feeling
Re: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09 AM »
This is the first I've heard of this.

It truly makes me sad as well.

I've met Kevin (after the Twin Limb album release show at Headliners) a little more than a year ago and again after an event at La La Land last year. I've been to La La Land another time for a Strive benefit show that featured Howell Dawdy, and Cheyenne Mize (co-founder of Strive) who performed with Appalatin. I felt the magic there and was hoping it would not only last a long time but would also grow and become something of a destination for independent musicians from all over. Having been born and raised right here in Kentucky (commuting to work in Louisville for the past 13 years), I have much, much pride in all the wonderful musicians who call this place home. I'm even taking my wife up to Louisville this evening to witness an amazing night of locally grown music on the Belle of Louisville - Joan Shelley with special guests Julia Purcell (band mate from Maiden Radio and instructor at the Louisville Folk School), Daniel Martin Moore, Nathan Salsburg, Will Oldham, and The Other Years. Many of these folks have recorded and/or performed in La La Land over the years.

I really wish this wasn't true. Maybe Kevin is planning on keeping La La Land and returning from time to time ... I don't know. Do you have any more information on this, Kelly?

ericm

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Well I don't think anyone here knows what Kevin's motivations  are for moving to LA, and I don't feel he owes me or anyone else an explanation.

Live and let live are my feelings on it and if he feels this is what's best for him and what he wants to do at this time, Godspeed and I wish him all the best.

Who knows what tomorrow brings and I think we have to find and grab happiness where we can. If this makes Kevin happy, I say good for him.

As an aside, who even knows if this is permanent? Eg, I'm a big Springsteen fan and about 30 years ago he got married and moved to LA. Most fans here at the Jersey Shore thought that was it. It's over, he's wearing suit jackets and ties, hair slicked back, going  to premiers etc. Where did our  blue collar, jeans and T shirt Bruce go?  Well bottom line, that didn't last long as he found he wanted to get back to his roots and eventually remarried, had a family and has been living back at the Shore for 25+ years now.

I'm not saying this will happen with Kevin or Jim but they need to do what they think is right for them, and personally, I just want them to be happy wherever that may be.

Just my .02

"Where's Jim going?"

millerjustin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:02 AM »
the optimist in me hopes this is more of a safety in numbers strategy that will help Jim be surrounded by real people as he expands his horizons as an artist.  By having lifelong and grounded friends around him, he's much more likely to be a healthy and productive influence on those he creates with.

Don't get me wrong - I hate everything about the fake LA "culture" and what commercialization can do to artistry - but if this is the geography from which Jim wants to climb to another level, I say thank god Kevin is joining him
What's in here won't disappear

MamaKel

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 11:29 AM »
This is why I put these ideas in the universe. I DO think Jim needs his pals around...and hopefully what they create with the tools they have will have way more access to the masses. And of course I want nothing but their happiness. I worry because I care...and I don't want the wizards to lose their magic...

ericm

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44 AM »
This is why I put these ideas in the universe. I DO think Jim needs his pals around...and hopefully what they create with the tools they have will have way more access to the masses. And of course I want nothing but their happiness. I worry because I care...and I don't want the wizards to lose their magic...

Faith will be rewarded.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

MamaKel

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 11:45 AM »
BTW, John, it was on his IG feed a while ago.
AND, perhaps my feelings were somewhat motivated by a docunentary I was watching on Flint, Michigan...and it just generally made me feel uneasy about divestment. It is in no way a personal indictment, or a critique of their character. I really think Kevin is one of the most gifted musicians I have ever seen, and as kind a person as you could ever meet. I wish him endless success. I just feel the loss (even if temporary) for Louisville.

MamaKel

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 11:46 AM »
And Justin, that made me really happy to read. I needed to think about Jimmy surrounded by hos best pals.

millerjustin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04 PM »
agreed - and I might be reading between the lines a little too much, but the obvious malaise of last summer's tour, coupled with IG postings by that guy "dadcountry" last summer, which were very drug and party-centric, and now Jim's lyrics to "Just a Fool" all seem to point to a chunk of time where Jim was perhaps a bit lost and searching for direction and grounding.  If I'm onto something here, then perhaps this partially explains the loosely defined hiatus as well.  All this being said, if his dearest and closest pals are circling the wagons and helping him get to a better place, then I suppose all is well in the world.

rkwedge

• senior member sr.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Great discussions. Some really good concerning points here. I too am saddened by the lack of really much of any loyalty left in the world. I do not pretend to even come close to understanding the music business so with that being said I cannot fault Kevin for doing what he feels is right for him at all. I also understand that losing a local treasure is tough to swallow. If the "Wizardtry" continues then I'm on board. Eric is right faith will be rewarded.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Mr. White

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 12:37 PM »
BTW, John, it was on his IG feed a while ago.
AND, perhaps my feelings were somewhat motivated by a docunentary I was watching on Flint, Michigan...and it just generally made me feel uneasy about divestment. It is in no way a personal indictment, or a critique of their character. I really think Kevin is one of the most gifted musicians I have ever seen, and as kind a person as you could ever meet. I wish him endless success. I just feel the loss (even if temporary) for Louisville.

Yeah, the loss for Louisville will be felt (if he doesn't keep La La Land in the mix and allow trusted friends to operate the place while he's gone - just my wish). Kevin and Lacey and MaryLiz (Twin Limb) are all very sweet and approachable people. They spoke with me for a long time after that album release show and signed and personalized for my teenaged grandson a photo I had taken of them performing as openers for MMJ at the Iroquois Amphitheatre shows in Louisville with my grandson in the foreground and them on stage. They were super eager to do that for me and went out of their way to make time for me on that special night for them. When telling Kevin about some of the more memorable Jim shows I saw that he was a part of, he amazed at how many really good and special shows I actually managed to make it to. I'm still holding out hopes that he keeps La La Land going with help from local friends and family, so he and all the local musicians (and MMJ) can come in and lay down tracks, touch up some issues with individual songs, do some producing, etc. whenever he's in town. Jim keeps close contacts in Louisville and has a house. I'd bet Kevin will try to do the same.

MamaKel

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Kevin mentioned who he was handing the reigns over to on his Instagram feed, so LaLa will remain in business. The Louisville scene is as important to me as Motown, so whatever happens, I have faith in the process, and hope that the magic doesn't leave that holy place.

As far as Jim and his struggles, I can't speak on them, but I can say that I have felt a shift in his energy. He is a sweet, sensitive soul...and I'd imagine there is a lot of personal and external pressure to remain prolific. But the art is in him...it cannot be extracted...and that meditation, and true , salt-of-the-earth pals should help keep him grounded. If he ever needs a sober yoga and wellness coach, I would happily oblige for the small fee of free. 🙄🙃😇

Lonndown27

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:07 PM »
agreed - and I might be reading between the lines a little too much, but the obvious malaise of last summer's tour, coupled with IG postings by that guy "dadcountry" last summer, which were very drug and party-centric, and now Jim's lyrics to "Just a Fool" all seem to point to a chunk of time where Jim was perhaps a bit lost and searching for direction and grounding.  If I'm onto something here, then perhaps this partially explains the loosely defined hiatus as well.  All this being said, if his dearest and closest pals are circling the wagons and helping him get to a better place, then I suppose all is well in the world.

millerjustin please explain what this "dadcountry" instagram posts were about? drugs and partying? Jim outta control last summer? What's goin on? I'd really like to know because I've sensed a tiny bit of darkness in Jim, but put that off as being a biproduct of how fucked up our world is and how deeply he's connected with that, as all of us should be.

The idea of him being taken for everything he's worth artistically, emotionally and as a human by a bunch of LA industry vultures scares the living shit out of me it's not even funny. If having Kevin there by his side keeps the wolves at bay, maybe that's what this is about.

Either way, we need to make sure Jim's okay.
Take as long as you need if you're not, Jim, it's okay man!!

if someone could please explain to me this "dadcountry" stuff. i'm extremely curious

btw those lyrics to Just A Fool are dark as hell for Jim, but at the same time so honest, bold, badass and has an anthemic quality.
Totally plays with the idea of Jim being done with celebrity .

I know the last things these guys wanna be is celebrities
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017

MMJTX

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Dadcountry as in Jonny Fritz?
Anytime

rincon2

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Is it possible too much is being read into the evils of LA? LA is a collection of varying neighborhoods with no single LA culture. It is not all Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, and Malibu. He lives in Highland Park, where Marc Maron lives. This article gives a pretty fair assessment of his LA life and reason to live there.     
http://www.laweekly.com/music/my-morning-jackets-jim-james-finds-a-new-home-and-new-inspiration-in-la-7683781

DaydreamNation

• God's fingers choking me
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Well y'all, you know what they say...Los Angeles ain't that far  :cool:
Most recent MMJ show: Nashville, TN - 07/07/17 Most recent JJ show: Louisville, KY - 11/25/16

MamaKel

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Man, L.A. is the second largest "city" in America. There are going to be all types of people. And Jonny Fritz seems like a brilliant, hilarious eccentric to me. I think Jim likes people who are so brilliant that they are on the fringes. Which is cool. But hopefully personality doesn't distort reality.
I think Jim is a grown ass man. So is Kevin. But quite frankly, energy works in mysterious ways, and if you are fucking with ingesting all kinds of spirits, be it alcohol/drugs/sex/work, without watching carefully, pretty soon you can't figure what's yours and what's theirs...and you go from being an original, to an amalgam of all the cornerstones you left stranded behind. Truthfully,  that's what I am sensing. You have collaborators, and you have vampires. Collaborators feed your soul, but vampires get into your mind. Lately, I have felt less of a soul vibe, and more of a mind vibe from Jim. I haven't seen a sense of humor in a long time. I hope that all his friends have his back, and that everyone loves him enough to tell him the truth and to let him know that he doesn't have to be a rock star to be the coolest. "Rock stars" are handsome politicians. Nice, sweet, humble, honest, sincere men is what is needed in this world. Famous friends and eccentricities don't mean a thing if they don't have heart.

robb

• senior member sr.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07 AM »
would also be curious for more information about the dadcountry/jonny fritz stuff.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

millerjustin

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 12:47 PM »
would also be curious for more information about the dadcountry/jonny fritz stuff.

in fairness, I'm purely speculating and that Fritz fellow does seem hilarious - but we all have certain friends at certain times in our lives that fit at that point in time, but perhaps don't endure for whatever reason(s).  Seems like Jim is in a REALLY good place after seeing him last night.  singing new stuff from a huge perspective of confidence and the music is otherworldly.

And despite all the speculation the past few months about a "break up", I think I get it now.  Jim and Kevin arranged this stuff almost a year ago and they tracked it late last year with Dave, Seth and the girls.  I'm pretty sure the MMJ guys were blown away and told Jim to ride this thing as long as he can - I'm telling you all - this album is going to change everything.

Lonndown27

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43 PM »

in fairness, I'm purely speculating and that Fritz fellow does seem hilarious - but we all have certain friends at certain times in our lives that fit at that point in time, but perhaps don't endure for whatever reason(s).  Seems like Jim is in a REALLY good place after seeing him last night.  singing new stuff from a huge perspective of confidence and the music is otherworldly.

And despite all the speculation the past few months about a "break up", I think I get it now.  Jim and Kevin arranged this stuff almost a year ago and they tracked it late last year with Dave, Seth and the girls.  I'm pretty sure the MMJ guys were blown away and told Jim to ride this thing as long as he can - I'm telling you all - this album is going to change everything.

Change everything eh?? How so???
That can be both horrifyingly awful or fantastic and unexpected but evolved....
Either way i hope the Jacket exist.
Is Uniform Distortion getting THAT much of a response??
8/2/2012 + 10/07/2015 + 12/29/2017 + 12/30/2017 +    12/31/2017