Author Topic: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.  (Read 2043 times)

millerjustin

• got that old time feeling
Re: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55 PM »
would also be curious for more information about the dadcountry/jonny fritz stuff.

in fairness, I'm purely speculating and that Fritz fellow does seem hilarious - but we all have certain friends at certain times in our lives that fit at that point in time, but perhaps don't endure for whatever reason(s).  Seems like Jim is in a REALLY good place after seeing him last night.  singing new stuff from a huge perspective of confidence and the music is otherworldly.

And despite all the speculation the past few months about a "break up", I think I get it now.  Jim and Kevin arranged this stuff almost a year ago and they tracked it late last year with Dave, Seth and the girls.  I'm pretty sure the MMJ guys were blown away and told Jim to ride this thing as long as he can - I'm telling you all - this album is going to change everything.

Change everything eh?? How so???
That can be both horrifyingly awful or fantastic and unexpected but evolved....
Either way i hope the Jacket exist.
Is Uniform Distortion getting THAT much of a response??

we must trust the universe!  (and perhaps look to 2020 for our next jacket fix lol)
What's in here won't disappear

oistheone

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I'd definitely move to California if I could!

rincon2

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Trust me, now is a horrific time to move there. I just left after 45 years 2 weeks ago, and am very relieved. Ongoing drought, unbelievable crowds for everything, and insane cost of living. I just feel sorry for my sons who love it but struggle immensely with finances.

sillyboob

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Trust me, now is a horrific time to move there. I just left after 45 years 2 weeks ago, and am very relieved. Ongoing drought, unbelievable crowds for everything, and insane cost of living. I just feel sorry for my sons who love it but struggle immensely with finances.

I live in Long Beach, and I concur, Lalaland ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Sure the weather is typically great, but the crowds, the traffic, the cost of living here, the 1940s infrastructure, ugh.
2012: 8/3  2015: 1/31  2/1  2/3  8/14  2017: 2/4  2/5  2/7  7/7  2018: 3/2  3/3  3/5

walterfredo

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 10:54 AM »

Sure the weather is typically great, but the crowds, the traffic, the cost of living here, the 1940s infrastructure, ugh.

...but you also have Beachwood BBQ and Brewing. Huge win.

sillyboob

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22 PM »

...but you also have Beachwood BBQ and Brewing. Huge win.

I've been to the Seal Beach location, and I agree, it is very good.

2012: 8/3  2015: 1/31  2/1  2/3  8/14  2017: 2/4  2/5  2/7  7/7  2018: 3/2  3/3  3/5

Cameron

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 11:43 AM »
i've known jonny fritz off and on for close to 10 years.  not as much in the last few but i've never seen him drink a beer even when i've been out with him socially.  it's funny to read about him being some sort of bad influence.  he's the sweetest guy there is too.

millerjustin

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 10:56 AM »
i've known jonny fritz off and on for close to 10 years.  not as much in the last few but i've never seen him drink a beer even when i've been out with him socially.  it's funny to read about him being some sort of bad influence.  he's the sweetest guy there is too.

I'm sure he is - just speculation based on random IG posts, etc - probably way off, but saw some pretty overt DMT references and the like
What's in here won't disappear

gardenparty

• www.bewareofsafety.com
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 11:12 AM »
i'll pass on the first single

MamaKel

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Man, Jim himself has posted DMT references. And while I am certainly no stranger to psychedelia, and can never rule it out as a method, there comes a point in awareness (even with meditation) that the "method" gets in the way...it is a crutch that you are resting self-knowledge on. Not that I know Jim in any way, but given his stubborn work ethic, it doesn't seem to me that he would take such an easy way out. It isn't the Yacqui way.
I am not defending him or accusing him. Just doesn't fit what can be read between the lines.

Shug

• Sugartown
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I think there is a lot of reading way too much into it/speculation/over-dramatization going on in this thread.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

MamaKel

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22 PM »
I don't think it is necessarily over-dramatization...
For exanple, not everyone dug or understood Dylan in the 80's, and wanted to understand what was ingorming his new style. I brought this thread up because I don't want to be skewed by my own preference or moral bent or speculative tendency.  I wanted insight because I have a tendency to only want to connect with things that I respect, and some of the rumors and transitions make it difficult to just be at peace with the music itself. It is the age old question of the teacher vs. the teachings...can the art be removed from the life choices of the artist...?

MMJTX

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I think there is a lot of reading way too much into it/speculation/over-dramatization going on in this thread.

Thank you, i couldn't agree more, have no idea where this is all coming from. Where are Jim's DMT references???
Anytime

ericm

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07 PM »
It is the age old question of the teacher vs. the teachings...can the art be removed from the life choices of the artist...?

I think it can. For me sometimes a song is just a song. Some I like, others I don't. Does it sound good, move me, hit a chord with me or does it do nothing for me? Most times with music it's just that simple for me.  :smiley:
"Where's Jim going?"

MamaKel

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44 PM »
I think it is my biggest struggle, and always has been. The force that comes into the human mind/heart is really the experience I am after, but I am human and get confused and equate the God/universe within the creation, as the creator him/herself...and then invariably get disappointed and confused when I experience the cognitive dissonance. I'm working on just hearing a song and not assigning subtext. Keep it simple, stupid.
It is the age old question of the teacher vs. the teachings...can the art be removed from the life choices of the artist...?

I think it can. For me sometimes a song is just a song. Some I like, others I don't. Does it sound good, move me, hit a chord with me or does it do nothing for me? Most times with music it's just that simple for me.  :smiley:

ericm

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I think it is my biggest struggle, and always has been. The force that comes into the human mind/heart is really the experience I am after, but I am human and get confused and equate the God/universe within the creation, as the creator him/herself...and then invariably get disappointed and confused when I experience the cognitive dissonance. I'm working on just hearing a song and not assigning subtext. Keep it simple, stupid.

Music, art, sports I enjoy, things like that I definitely try to keep it simple and not dig too deep. I just want to find happiness and enjoyment in them. Kind of like a bit of an escape from everyday life and its trials.

For me there's enough things in life I need to dig deeper with and there's no avoiding that but my pleasures are a way for me to love life. Everyone is different and I'm certainly not judging in any way. We all have to find what works best for us and I'm just sharing what works for me.   :thumbsup:  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

• Sugartown
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 12:34 PM »
I think trying to guess at a person's intentions and emotional experiences and wants and needs based mostly on reports of  their behavior and the works they produce and then drawing what could be considered extreme conclusions based on those guesses is reading way too much into something that only Jim and the people he has shared his thoughts and feelings with personally can know.  There may be some accuracy to the speculation in this thread, but the truth could easily be much less worrisome.  Getting all stirred up about something that is at best a guess or at worst an unsubstantiated rumour to me seems like wasted energy and might even contribute to putting more fear out into the collective consciousness.

If you read what Jim has been writing publicly, there is no doubt he is going through a hard time being a sensitive caring loving person in this day and age of greed, fear and regressive hatefulness in how some humans are treating other humans.  To me that is completely understandable and I feel the same way and am having a similar experience.  But for me, to read more into it than that, unless it comes out of his own mouth, might not be a positive thing.

MamaKel

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 01:23 PM »
^^^^^this. 

I think I get really confused with all the rumors and non-sense that surrounds the scene, that I can't really vibrate with what the music is. It is a complete distraction from the love of the music...and then even listening to the music becomes distorted. I feel like this album is so important right now for exactly this reason...even the most pure and sensitive and well-intended among us are so confused by the contortion of "information", that it is hard to follow your heart.

Shug

• Sugartown
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I completely agree, MamaKel and I am with you.  These are extremely challenging times for me personally dealing with all the toxicity in the human species right now.  Sometimes I try to intellectualize it maybe just to get away from difficult and draining emotions.  What makes me feel better and have a little more hope for the human species is small but meaningful interactions of honesty with good people and then taking the very long view of things and hoping that this darkness we have collectively plunged our world into is a necessary step on the path to achieving a more inclusive and encompassing level of  human consciousness, ethics, and spirituality.

The extremity and the in-full-view-ness of the hate we see in these times hopefully is waking ordinary people up.  Its easier to stay asleep when the hate and greed are hidden, harder to not pay attention to and acknowledge and resist when its in full view?  I think these power/hatemongers who use fear to manipulate and control the masses yet are too cowardly or blinded to see the fear in their own hearts that drives their greedy actions are getting really desperate that their way of thinking is nearing extinction and their desperation is leading them to more and more extreme positions that will wake up more and more ordinary people and that good things will come from these times, painful as they are to live through.  Racism and sexism are going to die off, its just a matter of time.  I think we are seeing that happen, if we can see the real patterns through all the chaos and distortion in the information we are bombarded with.  Love will endure and prevail, it will not be beaten down completely or forever because Love is what the universe and everything in it consists of.  At least that's what I choose to believe.  We are all in it together, and my intention, even when I fail to do so which is very frequently these days, is to be a positive part of the collective. 

MamaKel

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 11:31 PM »
So beautifully written, Shug. Such clarity and purity, friend.  You are absolutely right.

I think that it is so hard to find pure love in the world right now, because the human mind, and thus the collective mind, are so focused on chasing highs. There is such a preferential, divisive, voyeuristic paradigm with its grip writ large on the media...which is why Marshall McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message" has been at the front of my worldview in the last month. It doesn't matter what the content is...it is the architecture that controls information and thought.

This said, I think it is why I perhaps hold Jacket and the artists that surround them to a higher standard. They are making art that questions the nature of reality in real time. From the ground, up.

McLuhan said, "The ability of the artist to sidestep the bully blow of new technology, and to parry such violence with full awareness, is age-old. Equally age-old is the ability of the percussed victims, who cannot sidestep the new violence, to recognize the need of the artist. To reward and make celebrities of artists can, also, be a way of ignoring their prophetic work and preventing its timely use for survival. The artist is the [one] in any field, scientific or humanistic, who grasps the implications of his actions and of new knowledge in his own time. He is the man of integral awareness."

I ove this band and its work. Not because they are celebrities or prophets. But because they are hard-working, real people affecting change in the culture. ESPECIALLY a local culture like Louisville. I feel like it is the work of the artist in the modern era to abandon the urban havens, and to venture into the landscapes of lost America. To bring visions of love, peace, equality, justice, inclusion, and sustainable prosperity to all the places left behind by the fallout of the dead and dying technologies.

If I am being honest, it used to feel like my love for Jacket and my family were all that kept me treading. But now I see how much love is to be found in those great adventures.  Both of them taught me/continue to how to shape reality by setting the frequency (via the intention you mentioned). Alchemy.  We all gotta work at it. Even them Jacket boys. But when we help the weak when we are strong, it all is eternally even.

(If you get a change, google McLuhan's quote on "figure and ground...subliminal", and then watch the "Just A Fool" video...Jim is super hip to this aesthetic...but then again, maybe he's just a fool getting by like the rest of us)