Author Topic: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.  (Read 2391 times)

millerjustin

• got that old time feeling
Re: Kevin Ratterman moves to L.A.
« Reply #40 on: Jun 01, 2018, 09:58 AM »
So beautifully written, Shug. Such clarity and purity, friend.  You are absolutely right.

I think that it is so hard to find pure love in the world right now, because the human mind, and thus the collective mind, are so focused on chasing highs. There is such a preferential, divisive, voyeuristic paradigm with its grip writ large on the media...which is why Marshall McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message" has been at the front of my worldview in the last month. It doesn't matter what the content is...it is the architecture that controls information and thought.

This said, I think it is why I perhaps hold Jacket and the artists that surround them to a higher standard. They are making art that questions the nature of reality in real time. From the ground, up.

McLuhan said, "The ability of the artist to sidestep the bully blow of new technology, and to parry such violence with full awareness, is age-old. Equally age-old is the ability of the percussed victims, who cannot sidestep the new violence, to recognize the need of the artist. To reward and make celebrities of artists can, also, be a way of ignoring their prophetic work and preventing its timely use for survival. The artist is the [one] in any field, scientific or humanistic, who grasps the implications of his actions and of new knowledge in his own time. He is the man of integral awareness."

I ove this band and its work. Not because they are celebrities or prophets. But because they are hard-working, real people affecting change in the culture. ESPECIALLY a local culture like Louisville. I feel like it is the work of the artist in the modern era to abandon the urban havens, and to venture into the landscapes of lost America. To bring visions of love, peace, equality, justice, inclusion, and sustainable prosperity to all the places left behind by the fallout of the dead and dying technologies.

If I am being honest, it used to feel like my love for Jacket and my family were all that kept me treading. But now I see how much love is to be found in those great adventures.  Both of them taught me/continue to how to shape reality by setting the frequency (via the intention you mentioned). Alchemy.  We all gotta work at it. Even them Jacket boys. But when we help the weak when we are strong, it all is eternally even.

(If you get a change, google McLuhan's quote on "figure and ground...subliminal", and then watch the "Just A Fool" video...Jim is super hip to this aesthetic...but then again, maybe he's just a fool getting by like the rest of us)

gawd I luv ya Kel - you're the bees knees!
What's in here won't disappear