Epic soundtrack for epic road trip

Started by Tracy 2112, Jun 25, 2018, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Jun 26, 2018, 11:50 AM
I like to listen to War on Drugs while driving.......perfect road trip music.

Dire Straits "communiqué" is always associated with vacation in france with me, the opening of "once upon a time in the west" starts and I have the smell of pine trees and the ocean in my nose

thank you
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

Tracy 2112

MMJ_fanatic

Pretty much everything by Israel Nash
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

rkwedge

It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Tracy 2112

LBSUNFLWR

Ditto on the John Moreland. I'm really into those singer/songwriter types.

Two I highly highly recommend are Josh Ritter and Gregory Alan Isakov.
Josh Ritter has many albums and some good live shows out there. Isakov has just a few albums. My favorite is called This Empty Northern Hemisphere.

Few other favorites of mine are Ryan Adams, Ray LaMontagne, Isbell, etc. but you're likely more familiar with them.

LBSUNFLWR

Also the Tom Petty Live Anthology is awesome.

Wildflowers is another great album to drive to. And my favorite Tom Petty album.

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 26, 2018, 06:36 PM

Wildflowers is another great album to drive to. And my favorite Tom Petty album.

the anthology is particularly great on roadies b/c a) it's long and b) has some BADASS covers thrown in with the best Petty tracks. The covers would be make an awesome album on their own:

I'm in Love
I'm a Man
Something in the Air
Diddy Wah Diddy
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Friend of the Devil
Mystic Eyes (for whatever reason this one wrecked me listening to it in the days after his death)
Green Onions
friggin Goldfinger lol
Oh Well (!)
Good Good Lovin

jttouch2

Dos and The Wave by Los Colognes are both great road tripping albums, great country-rock anthems and Dead-ish guitar work. Huge fan of their live shows too.
Update: their first album isnt available on Apple Music, but it's called Working Together and its reviewed their best album so I'd say give it a shot too, I trust these guys to put together great records haha

Shug

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 27, 2018, 10:17 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 26, 2018, 06:36 PM

the anthology is particularly great on roadies b/c a) it's long and b) has some BADASS covers thrown in with the best Petty tracks. The covers would be make an awesome album on their own:

I'm in Love
I'm a Man
Something in the Air
Diddy Wah Diddy
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Friend of the Devil
Mystic Eyes (for whatever reason this one wrecked me listening to it in the days after his death)
Green Onions
friggin Goldfinger lol
Oh Well (!)
Good Good Lovin

I agree, parker ,I have a comp of live covers I made, mostly from the radio broadcast of the last of 20 nights at the Fillmore in SF in 1997.  That was the run after which I declared that Petty and the Heartbreakers took the mantle of World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band.  It was probably their peak as a live band and I think it shows the depth and width of their influences and their mastery or musical genres and styles.  To me, its pretty fucking impressive. Alot of the stuff on the Live Anthology is from that run.  Here's the mix I came up with:

Around and Around
Shakin' All Over
Time Is On My Side
Call Me The Breeze
Don't Bring Me Down
Diddy Wah Diddy
Baby Please Don't Go
I'm Cryin
Slaughter On 10th Ave
Green Onions
So You Wanna Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star
Lonely Weekends
Psychotic Reaction
County Farm
You Really Got Me
Its All Over Now
Satisfaction
Louie Louie
Bye Bye Johnny
Route 66
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

parkervb

Psychotic Reaction is such a jam! (sorry if we've hijacked your post Tracy)

johnnYYac

Tracy, you've probably seen a lot of posts from me on Facebook, as well as the thread I created here, for Middle Western, the Iowa supergroup featuring William Elliot Whitmore and David Zollo (High and Lonesome). One of my favorite bands and albums of 2018. Its hard to find, so here's a download link to their album. If you like it, consider buying it. CDs are $10 here: http://store.williamelliottwhitmore.com/product/middle-western-vinyl-record

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r333kiby1kknnn2/When_Your_Demons_Are_Underground_and_Youve_Got_to_Dig_Them_Up.zip/file
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jackets N Pones

Bruce

Darlington County

Me and Wayne on the 4th of July...
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

parkervb

not sure if this is too late but man, Siamese Dream, that's a great roadie album too.