My Essential MMJ Bootlegs

Started by MOWJO8185, Jun 29, 2018, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOWJO8185

So I've always been one who, rather than listening to bootleg after bootleg after bootleg, has been drawn to gathering up between 1-5 shows per calendar year that are the peak of the band for that year, and are the most representative of the songs they played. I build this collection by first looking for standout performances, and then also hunting down rarities played, to basically try to get the best collection of songs in as few complete shows possible.

I've been trying to build a similar list for MMJ over the last year, a list of basically my go-to bootlegs that get me the most complete sampling of the band in any given era. The later years are pretty dominated by the officially released SBDs, because there's no denying how good they sound, but I supplement them with other key shows.

I'm looking for help from you good people for any candidates you might have! Any shows I have overlooked that are hidden gems or would just have to be on an "Essential MMJ Bootleg List.

Gonna break this into a few posts as I think I'm running out of space per post.

MOWJO8185

4-16-2000 Theater Romein - loads of good Tennessee Fire tracks, and a few super rare songs like Weeks go by like days and Lil Billy. There are a few other shows around this time with super similar setlists, I'm pretty sure this one stood out as having the best sound quality

2001 - open to recommendations

11-08-02 Paradiso - features Sooner, Just Because I Do, Strangulation, a bunch of other great tunes. Includes a Steam Engine Jim solo. Longest show I could find from this era.

MOWJO8185

Evidently me trying to post such long posts or many post one after another got my work IP address blocked from the forum. Hopefully an admin can fix that? In the meantime, I uploaded the list to a quick word doc instead. Interested in your thoughts!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/198t66ye-pW7Qj-YjYwN-uOPIZyISYO_x/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

CC

please try again.

should be ok to put it all in 1 post.

Lonndown27

2004:

Opera House, Toronto? With M.Ward . brilliant sound, set list and performances all around.

Bonnaroo 2004 of course

2005:

Not my favorite live year none stick out besides the Okonokos shows

2006:

Bonnaroo 2006 a top 5 greatest show ever
Gypsy tea room November 2006 with Sweetheart!
Nye Fillmore run 12/29 12/30 & 12/31

2007:
The Depot SLC January
Denver Ogden Theater? January as well
Prom Nights I & II 40 watt ATL (March)
Lolla 2007 unreal symphony versions of Just1Thang etc

Many would include Langerado and so i shall

2008: a heavy heavy year . The band broke it big and in a Radiohead/ Neil young "we dont care for pleasing fans we value art and longevity" type way.

Austin music hall March 2008: the show all of us first heard the EvilUrges songs. The show isn't too remarkable outside of being a typically facefuckingly great performance, the debut of the weirdest music the band had yet offered and the Sirius broadcast quality takes it to this list.

Bonnaroo 2008: i lived with the knowledge that the bootleg from the audience was the only tape ofthe show besides the obvious that Bonnaroo filmed it themselves professionally. But then only a year and some change ago, JOHNNYYAC sends me a Sirius broadcast of the entire show that had been out there the entire time. 

Redrocks 2008: never has there been a more underrated MMJ RR show than this 3 hour on the dot bad boy. With a rarw Anytime opener anda mindbending encore, this may be their most underrated show from 2008. Too bad we only have an audience tape.

MSG 2008 NYE  duh!!!

Many would include Radio City and it's not a favorite of mine nut since it's got one of the coolest Steams ever and it's at such a magical venue .

2009: A rare year with even rarer shows. Once we get our hands on the full 3 hour Metro show we'll be in the money

2010:
Many love the spring 2010 tour but i dont like the rigid setlists and shorter shows. Some high octane shows though.

KFC YUM
Portland Maine 2010 one of the unreleased gems that came to the light in mid 2017

Oakland amazing amazing show
RR2011
May 31st Louisville Palace
Cincy 2011
San Francisco Bill Graham center

2012 THE BIG ONE FOLKS
Oosterport
SLC 8/2
RR 8/3 8/4
COLUMBUS 8/??
MANN CENTER 8/17
MERRIWEATHER 8/18?
RALEIGH
CAP THEATER ALL NIGHTS
AGGANIS ARENA NYE BOSTON

2013:
meh

2014:
OBH and thats it

2015:
Chicago both nights until we also get night III
RR2015
ST LOUIS
SLC
LAS VEGAS
MASONIC SF

2016:
RR2016 X2
LOCKN

2017:
CINCY
FOREST HILLS
NYE RUN DENVER ALL THREE NIGHTS

2018:
OBH
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Shug

I guess because its West Coast and there are fewer fans out here and more hardcores went to Port Chester that year ?  The Wiltern run of three shows in 2012 often gets overlooked in favor of the similar Port Chester run.  I guess you don't really need both, but I would consider giving the Wiltern shows a listen.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

MOWJO8185

Quote from: Shug on Jul 03, 2018, 11:51 AM
I guess because its West Coast and there are fewer fans out here and more hardcores went to Port Chester that year ?  The Wiltern run of three shows in 2012 often gets overlooked in favor of the similar Port Chester run.  I guess you don't really need both, but I would consider giving the Wiltern shows a listen.

The only reason I skip over it is because, as far as I have been able to find, only 2 of the 3 nights are available, at least on archive (9/12 and 9/13). is there a taping of the 9/11 show available?

MOWJO8185

Quote from: CC Baxter on Jun 29, 2018, 05:49 PM
please try again.

I just tried. it denied me. I must be hitting some sort of length limit.

Shug

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Jul 03, 2018, 11:58 AM
Quote from: Shug on Jul 03, 2018, 11:51 AM

The only reason I skip over it is because, as far as I have been able to find, only 2 of the 3 nights are available, at least on archive (9/12 and 9/13). is there a taping of the 9/11 show available?

I'll see what I can find or what I have in my collection.  Johnny Yacc should know, he's way on top of all that stuff!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

CC

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Jul 03, 2018, 12:15 PM
Quote from: CC Baxter on Jun 29, 2018, 05:49 PM
please try again.

I just tried. it denied me. I must be hitting some sort of length limit.

it's not the length limit but something weird is going on for sure, just got blocked myself trying to edit the post.

cgreen2599

I'm a little bias because I was there and are from Louisville which made it even more special, but 2008 Waterfront Park is worth consideration. The 2008 show was a 29 song 3 hour rager set. It was their first large scale headlining hometown show. It felt like a mini festival. They had the "Louisville Village" set up with all local vendors and artisans. The energy there was beyond amazing all night.  You could obviously tell from Jim's banter how thrilled they were to be playing the Waterfront. The setlist is great and we got a Where to Begin and a decently long Cobra among other treats. The CelebraciĆ³n De La Ciudad Natal [EP] is nice, but I wish they would have just released the whole damn show. I was at Roo and MSG and the Waterfront show left me with the "holy shit what an epic night" feeling just much as the other two.

https://archive.org/details/mmj2008-08-16.mk21.flac16

cgreen2599

I will also throw up 2012 Forecastle for consideration. Very nice set with fantastic covers mixed in. The Dark opener was a treat. I feel like there was a social media campaign for that if I remember correctly. So many people went wild when they actually started it. Jim launching bananas into the crowd during Careless Whisper will forever be a highlight of my mmj fandom. Johnny Quaid, Andrew Bird, and Pres Hall were guests that night too.

https://archive.org/details/mmj2012-07-14.mk21.flac16

Major props to Darkstar for having this unlisted whole video posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euicvif-8Jo&index=19&list=PLwf8ZJnffOFp36paCpV855iVBC9qy2Bm5

Lonndown27

YES !!! Forecastle 2012 and Waterfront 2008 plus the Wiltern 3 night run were ALL some of my favorites.  I fucking knew i was leaving something out
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

midwesterner

Wait there is a recording of the Cincinnati 2017 show? Can someone link me?

Murph

Which is the show the played Come Closer and some other rarities?  I think it was just released recently also.

Crispy

Quote from: Murph on Jul 06, 2018, 04:41 PM
Which is the show the played Come Closer and some other rarities?  I think it was just released recently also.

8/12/2012 in Columbus? I'm not finding any recordings of it, though  :undecided:

1. Heartbreakin Man
2. First Light
3. Holdin On To Black Metal
4. Xmas Curtain
5. What A Wonderful Man
6. Outta My System
7. Circuital
8. Tyrone (Erykah Badu)
9. I'm Amazed
10. Phone Went West
11. Gideon
12. Come Closer
13. Carried Away
14. Lay Low
15. Run Thru
16. Anytime
17. One Big Holiday
----------
18. Hopefully
19. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
20. Victory Dance
21. Wordless Chorus
22. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
23. O Is The One That Is Real
24. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
25. Steam Engine
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

searchinbig

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 06, 2018, 05:00 PM
Quote from: Murph on Jul 06, 2018, 04:41 PM

8/12/2012 in Columbus? I'm not finding any recordings of it, though  :undecided:

1. Heartbreakin Man
2. First Light
3. Holdin On To Black Metal
4. Xmas Curtain
5. What A Wonderful Man
6. Outta My System
7. Circuital
8. Tyrone (Erykah Badu)
9. I'm Amazed
10. Phone Went West
11. Gideon
12. Come Closer
13. Carried Away
14. Lay Low
15. Run Thru
16. Anytime
17. One Big Holiday
----------
18. Hopefully
19. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
20. Victory Dance
21. Wordless Chorus
22. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
23. O Is The One That Is Real
24. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
25. Steam Engine

Listen here.............

http://forum.mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,21142.0.html
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Mr. White

Quote from: midwesterner on Jul 06, 2018, 04:39 PM

Someone had posted this to Facebook live, and I was able to save it somehow. I then uploaded it to YouTube and have it saved in my My Morning Jacket Full Shows Playlist. (I've since left Facebook for good.) The sound isn't all that great and neither is the video, but it is complete. (I was at this show on the rail way over on Jim's side. I'll upload my couple of videos I recorded just below this full show one.)

Full Show (Cincinnati - 6/22/2017)

War Begun

Steam Engine into Yes We Can Can
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Crispy

"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

cgreen2599

Quote from: midwesterner on Jul 06, 2018, 04:39 PM

The Cincy show is on Archive, but not in the mmj collection. It's located under the community audio section because the files have to be in flac in order to be included in the mmj collection. These files are only in mp3 since it was tracked out from the youtube download.  Similar thing for the long sought after 2010 Portland Maine show because only mp3 files were shared when it finally surfaced. There's programs where mp3 can be converted to flac. I might try it out to see if we can get those shows moved over into the mmj collection making them streamable in the relisten app etc.

https://archive.org/details/MMJ6.22.17

https://archive.org/details/MMJPortland2010