Carl solo this fall

Started by APR, Jul 25, 2018, 09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbpats

Quote from: jttouch2 on Sep 20, 2018, 09:29 AM
Quote from: Murph on Sep 20, 2018, 08:37 AM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Sep 20, 2018, 02:36 AM
Atlanta show tonight was great. Definitely a more rock & roll show than previous Carl tours, Steelism sounded great behind him and he busted out "Enough" from All Birds Say which I definitely was not expecting. Gonna be a fantastic tour!!

Are they doing Carried Away?  Does he play the entire new album?
They did do Carried Away, and I think 7 of 8 new tunes were played but it's hard to know for sure bc I obviously didn't know any of those previously haha

So does steelism open or just support him as a backing band? I want to go to the Boston show but it's a wednesday night and really don't want to/can't stay out until 1-2 AM. Flyer says show starts at 9:30, if thats when Steelism goes on then it's definitely a no go for me unfortunately.

jttouch2

Quote from: Jbpats on Sep 20, 2018, 11:28 AM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Sep 20, 2018, 09:29 AM
Quote from: Murph on Sep 20, 2018, 08:37 AM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Sep 20, 2018, 02:36 AM
Atlanta show tonight was great. Definitely a more rock & roll show than previous Carl tours, Steelism sounded great behind him and he busted out "Enough" from All Birds Say which I definitely was not expecting. Gonna be a fantastic tour!!

Are they doing Carried Away?  Does he play the entire new album?
They did do Carried Away, and I think 7 of 8 new tunes were played but it's hard to know for sure bc I obviously didn't know any of those previously haha

So does steelism open or just support him as a backing band? I want to go to the Boston show but it's a wednesday night and really don't want to/can't stay out until 1-2 AM. Flyer says show starts at 9:30, if thats when Steelism goes on then it's definitely a no go for me unfortunately.
Steelism does open, they played a 40-ish minute set from 8-8:40 and then Carl went on at 9 and played til 10:50. same set lengths would put you out til a tad after midnight that night.

Zutroy

Just got back from the DC show. Had a great time but very poorly attended. U Street Hall holds 500 and there were about 75 - 100 (max) there.

Carl crushed it.

jttouch2

Quote from: Zutroy on Sep 21, 2018, 11:03 PM
Just got back from the DC show. Had a great time but very poorly attended. U Street Hall holds 500 and there were about 75 - 100 (max) there.

Carl crushed it.
Atlanta was also very poorly attended, I was disappointed to see so few folks there. 600ish capacity but had 100 people there tops.

APR

Quote from: Zutroy on Sep 21, 2018, 11:03 PM

Carl crushed it.

He certainly did.  Rocking jams were great, especially the last few minutes of Wished Out. Good mix of the mellow stuff, but the highlights to me were the loud solos like during 4th of July.  Some banter with the crowd, which was a little funny.  He commented about how quiet the venue was compared to the street outside.  Everyone was polite and quiet, and the place was unfortunately quite empty.  But it was a fun night and great show.  Added bonus was Carl sticking around to sign merch and chat it up afterwards.  He was super nice.

parkervb

dang, wish I could have made that show. I dig this album and would have loved to hear it live.
Don't you ever turn it off

CC

Paste Studio NYC live from The Manhattan Center 9/24
1. Starting from Scratch
2. Malibu Shadow
3. Dark Matter

parkervb

Malibu Shadow is one of my favorite tracks, loved hearing some of the inspiration. thanks for posting CC. I went looking for some of the works of Loren Eisely.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/666143.The_Immense_Journey

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/56782.Loren_Eiseley

http://www.eiseley.org/bibliography.php

Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

johnnYYac

Just curious if I'll be the only Forumite at Carl's show in Omaha, NE on Nov. 3rd. Holla back...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rab7607

Carl and Steelism put on a great show in Pittsburgh last night. The highlight for me was 4th of July - Pink Moon - 4th of July. The new album stuff was very good, which I have not heard up until that point since I thought I bought the vinyl during presale, but must not have, oops.  Steelism were tight and were great backing Carl. This show was also sparsely attended like the reports from the other shows, maybe 50-60 people there, but they played like it was to a full house. There was a little girl with "Carl Side 4 Ever" on her shirt, which I totally agree with.

AKS

Quote from: rab7607 on Oct 01, 2018, 11:37 AM
Carl and Steelism put on a great show in Pittsburgh last night. The highlight for me was 4th of July - Pink Moon - 4th of July. The new album stuff was very good, which I have not heard up until that point since I thought I bought the vinyl during presale, but must not have, oops.  Steelism were tight and were great backing Carl. This show was also sparsely attended like the reports from the other shows, maybe 50-60 people there, but they played like it was to a full house. There was a little girl with "Carl Side 4 Ever" on her shirt, which I totally agree with.

After periodically checking in on this wonderful Jacket resource over the past couple years I finally created a user name. Going to see Carl tonight in Ann Arbor. This is typically a well attended albeit smaller venue so I'm hoping they fill it all the way up. Bummer to hear that these first few shows have been lightly attended. Love his new album and can't wait for him to shred it tonight. Looking forward to chiming in more and more.

sillyboob

That little girl was on the Facebook page!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

robb

Quote from: AKS on Oct 01, 2018, 12:56 PM

After periodically checking in on this wonderful Jacket resource over the past couple years I finally created a user name. Going to see Carl tonight in Ann Arbor. This is typically a well attended albeit smaller venue so I'm hoping they fill it all the way up. Bummer to hear that these first few shows have been lightly attended. Love his new album and can't wait for him to shred it tonight. Looking forward to chiming in more and more.

turnout sucked compared to his show there in 16, but goddamn was that ever a great show.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

jttouch2

Any idea why his attendance has been so down this tour?? The new album is great and its a full band tour unlike most of his 2016 tour so I would've thought his attendance would've increased some this tour.

sillyboob

Not sure for other shows, but for me, while I would love to catch Carl's show in LA coming up,but it's on a Tuesday night, and that pretty much would kill the rest of the week for me.  Living in Long Beach gets you close to LA, but LA traffic keeps you out of LA.  If it were on a weekend, I'd be on the rail for Carl.

Editing to add - I have a morning appointment with a lawyer on the 24th of this month to finalize our trust, which gives me an excuse to sleep in that morning, so tickets for Carl's show the night before have now been purchased!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Mr. White

2 of my upcoming 3 Carl shows are on Thursday night (other one is a Saturday). I hope the one this Thursday at Headliners Music Hall in Louisville will come close to selling out. Lots of the local music fans are notorious for making it to shows the last minute and don't get tickets until they get there. The other Thursday night show is a month from now in Indianapolis. Since it's Carl's hometown, there should be a pretty good crowd. The other one on Saturday is this Saturday down in Nashville where Carl has lived for a long, long time. I'm sure it will be a killer one.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

AKS

Quote from: jttouch2 on Oct 02, 2018, 09:13 AM
Any idea why his attendance has been so down this tour?? The new album is great and its a full band tour unlike most of his 2016 tour so I would've thought his attendance would've increased some this tour.

I wish there was some explanation as to why the attendance is lower this time around. There were only 50 people at the show in Ann Arbor last night! Criminally under attended for the rock show we got yesterday. Steelism and Carl both sound great. All the songs from the new record sound excellent! I'm going to see him again in Cleveland next month and then Jim the following night which will be fun but as always hope the support for Carl picks up a bit!

LBSUNFLWR

I was a little concerned with attendance since his last two solo shows were at Zanzabar. Headliners is twice the size. Hope he gets a great turn out tonight.  I can't wait. I've been really liking the new album and was very impressed with Steelism at the last show here.

LBSUNFLWR

Incredible show in Louisville last night.

I think Steelism is excellent both on their own and as Carl's backing band. Carl is just amazing. I love his songs. I can't get enough of his guitar playing. Just great time last night and he seemed pleased with the crowd in Louisville.