Author Topic: Amanda Shires  (Read 277 times)

hoojack

Amanda Shires
« on: Jul 30, 2018, 08:05 PM »
The new Amanda shires album is streaming on NPRís first listen.  Iíve only had a chance to listen to the first half but Iím really liking what Iím hearing. For those of you who arenít familiar, Amanda is Jason Isbellís wife and often plays violin with the 400 unit on tour. The album is also produced by Dave Cobb whoís been involved with lots of great stuff over the past few years.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/26/631481913/first-listen-amanda-shires-to-the-sunset

Cameron

• got that old time feeling
Re: Amanda Shires
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:10 PM »
I dig it. Big change it sound for her but she pulls it off.

hoojack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Agreed. I probably did her a little disservice by describing her a violinist in the op. The violin is very understated on this album and sheís much more of the band leader/song writer than in her earlier stuff. Much more indie rock sounding if that makes sense. I wonder how much of that is her natural evolution and how much is influenced by Jason and Dave Cobb.

pjthom30

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I know Ryan Adams is high on this new album of her's.  I'll have to check it out.

The DARK

• got that old time feeling
  • Like Continuous Thunder
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Yeah, this might be my AotY, which is saying a lot in a year where a whole bunch of great stuff has come out.
In another time, in another place, in another face