Main Menu

NFL 2018

Started by Jackets N Pones, Aug 09, 2018, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Quote from: Osistheones on Dec 10, 2018, 09:42 AM
Baker had a decent season for a rookie QB, but Saquon has ROY wrapped up.

Totally agree. Saquon is on pace for over 2,000 yds from scrimmage and has an outside shot at catching Eric Dickerson's all time yds for a rookie. I doubt he gets to Dickerson, but 2,000 is definitely doable, and he'd be only the 3rd rookie to accomplish that.

I saw a great stat about his year so far. SB has four rushing TDs of over 50yds this year and the Giants as a team have only had three in the past ten seasons!

To put some perspective on how impressive that number is, the NFL all time record is 15 held by Barry Sanders with Jim Brown in 2nd with 12!

As a Giant fan, Barkley has been a joy to watch. He's must see TV and the closest thing to Barry Sanders I've seen since Barry.
"Where's Jim going?"

iLikeBeer

One thing for sure regarding Barkley, he's making a lot of people who said the Giants made a mistake drafting him instead of a QB (Sam Darnold) look pretty foolish right now!!!

Btw, I'm so glad the Browns picked Baker over Darnold as well!!!

ericm

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Dec 12, 2018, 09:17 AM
One thing for sure regarding Barkley, he's making a lot of people who said the Giants made a mistake drafting him instead of a QB (Sam Darnold) look pretty foolish right now!!!

I'm a USC fan and didn't want the Giants drafting Darnold either. I'm not sure he's a cold weather type QB and his turnovers always worried me. The guy is clutch though and doesn't shrink when the lights are brightest so I'll give him that, but I'm glad the Giants passed on him and not just because they went with Barkley.

I heard rumblings they liked Mayfield and once he was gone it really was a no brainer taking Barkley since they had him rated much higher than anyone else and weren't sold on any of the QBs left.

I liked them not reaching for a pick they weren't sold on or trading back  for more picks. That's how you set yourself back years IMO, especially if a generational type talent is there for the taking. You run up to the podium and take him. Thankfully the Giants did just that!

No doubt Browns fans are thrilled with their 1st round picks as well.
"Where's Jim going?"

Come Closer

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Dec 12, 2018, 09:17 AM

It's a small sample size so far and you gotta remember Sam is 2 whole years younger. He's looked good the last few weeks, and I think there's still a chance he ends up being better. But as far as having some immediate success and hope for the franchise, Baker was the right pick.

iLikeBeer

I still think Baker should be getting more pub for ROY!  Stats alone are impressive enough to warrant ROY!  He's thrown for over 3000 yards and that's only in 14 games (only 13 as a starter).  He's also really taken off in the last 8 games since they fired Hugh Jackson leading the Browns to a 6-2 record over that stretch!  Oh, and he's also just 2 TD passes shy of breaking the rookie record!  Not to mention, he's broken the Brown's record for consecutive games with a TD pass as well!

Then there are the non-statistical things he brings such as completely changing the culture and turning around THE worst franchise in the NFL and making this team believe they belong!

Come Closer

He may have an outside shot if he has a monster game and knocks off the Ravens. Baker does have the team leader aspect and Saquon has slowed down the last few games, but overall he's still been one of the best backs in the league behind an offensive line that's not very good.

I don't know how it might affect the voting, but Baker has made hay against some bad defenses. I think it's one of the reasons Lamar Jackson has also had a lot of success with the same divisional schedule.

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Murph

Adam F%*$ing Gase?!!  Really??

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Murph on Jan 10, 2019, 01:48 PM

At least it wasn't Kliff Kingsbury!!! 

parkervb

what is it about the AFC East teams being into sloppy 2nds?
Don't you ever turn it off

ericm

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 11, 2019, 03:10 PM

what is it about the AFC East teams being into sloppy 2nds?

I think some of it might be the owners and GM's thinking ooooh, he's proven he can beat Belichick and the Pats more than once.  :rolleyes: I think it blinds them to a lot of their other deficiencies or even the fact BB continues to eat their lunch. Eg, Gase beat BB twice in three years with both being at home. Big deal, BB still won the other four times but somehow the wins over BB seem to carry a lot more weight than the team's overall record or play.

It's funny to me how both Rex Ryan and Gase immediately stepped into jobs in the same Division. BB must be laughing and just rubbing his hands together as he already knows how Gase likes to play, the same way he knew Rex's tendencies.

I have a feeling this job will take Gase on the same path as Rex......out of coaching for good. The NFL will give coaches a second chance but no way do you get a third if you fail the first two times.

That said, I have friends who have been Jets fans as long as I've been a Giant fan and I hope for their sakes I'm wrong about Gase. It's be 50 years since their one and only Super Bowl appearance!  :shocked:
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

My picks for this weekend straight up, no spread.

KC
LAR
LAC
NO

On a side note, how crazy would it be if both LA teams won and NO and KC get upset?  LA would host both Champ games next Sunday. One in the huge LA Colisseum and the other in the smallest venue in the league.  :shocked:
"Where's Jim going?"

Come Closer

The only one you missed was the most obvious one. If the Pats have a bye, they're a shoe in for the AFC champ game. Easy to root against, hard to bet against.

ericm

Quote from: Osistheones on Jan 14, 2019, 06:02 PM
The only one you missed was the most obvious one. If the Pats have a bye, they're a shoe in for the AFC champ game. Easy to root against, hard to bet against.

I hear ya and don't know what I was thinking going against BB at home with a week off to prepare. I just thought their D was shaky and the Chargers were hitting on all cylinders. Plus I wanted at least one upset pick, but that was a mistake too.  :grin:

Gotta give some thought to this weeks games. The Pats D isn't as good away from home but not sure I want to pick against BB again!  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

I'd like to see some new blood in the SB and am rooting for the Rams and Chiefs but I'm picking the Saints and Pats this week.
"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Quote from: ericm on Jan 20, 2019, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see some new blood in the SB and am rooting for the Rams and Chiefs but I'm picking the Saints and Pats this week.
I'll pick who you're rooting for, Rams-Chiefs. I don't think BB can shut down all the Chiefs weapons, he'll shut down a couple but not all. Rams Saints is a toss up for me so I'm going with Donald as the difference.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ericm

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 20, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jan 20, 2019, 10:47 AM
I'll pick who you're rooting for, Rams-Chiefs. I don't think BB can shut down all the Chiefs weapons, he'll shut down a couple but not all. Rams Saints is a toss up for me so I'm going with Donald as the difference.

You may be right about BB but I can see him employing some of the things he did with the Giants in SBXXV against the Bills. If the weather is ok enough for the Chiefs passing attack to function normally, I see him doing everything he can to shut that down and dare them to beat him with the run like he did to the Bills. The Bills almost did just that but they also didn't get any quick strike TD drives, and I think BB will put the kabosh on that again today.

I'm not sure Andy Reid can settle for running a lot as he's a pass happy type coach. I think he'll get impatient and that's when mistakes happen and play right into BB's hands.

Who knows, I could be totally off the mark but I think BB once again does his best to take away a teams strengths. It might not work or even be enough but he's a master at game planning and I'm looking forward to seeing how this game plays out.

"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

Saints got screwed on that one.

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 20, 2019, 06:27 PM

Yeah I agree. Terrible non call there. The Rams DB clearly got there early and wasn't even looking at the ball, let alone trying to make a play on it.

The Saints had their chances no doubt but they also made the plays and put themselves in position to win the game. It's not like the official would've handed them the game on a bogus call. It was as blatant  a penalty as could be IMO. The Saints got the matchup they wanted, Brees made the throw and they got screwed by the non call.
"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Quote from: ericm on Jan 20, 2019, 08:04 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 20, 2019, 06:27 PM

Yeah I agree. Terrible non call there. The Rams DB clearly got there early and wasn't even looking at the ball, let alone trying to make a play on it.

The Saints had their chances no doubt but they also made the plays and put themselves in position to win the game. It's not like the official would've handed them the game on a bogus call. It was as blatant  a penalty as could be IMO. The Saints got the matchup they wanted, Brees made the throw and they got screwed by the non call.
No mention of that horrible non call on Goff being face masked going in to make it 24-20 Rams? Officiating in the NFL has truly become a joke, I think they rely to much on replay these days and the officials just aren't that good anymore, IMO.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes