David Berman/Silver Jews

Started by Murph, Aug 09, 2019, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

I literally had never listened to one Silver Jews song before yesterday when I kept reading all of this praise for David Berman.  Seems like a classic case of the tortured artist.  Sad  :undecided:

After a few quick listens to some songs off of 'American Water', I can already see what all the fuss was about.  So many great lines! I can tell that I'll be able to dig in deep with this guy.  Was anyone else a big David Berman fan?

RIP

getinthevan

I've been aware of Silver Jews for a long time but I've never given them a fair chance.  I was on a William Tyler kick not too long ago and decided to check out Silver Jews and I wasn't impressed.  Reading about him these past few days I feel like it's time to sit down with American Water. 

Lest we forget that there was a short David Berman story on the back cover of Acoustic Citsuoca. 
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Come Closer

Listen to The Natural Bridge next. All their other stuff is solid too. Took a little bit to click for me, but it definitely grows on you. His album as Purple Mountains that just came out is good as well. What a talent. RIP.

getinthevan

I sat down and listened to American Water yesterday and I immediately loved it.  Something about his voice seemed so familiar and I totally understand the praise for his writings.  I'm also really enjoying the Purple Mountains album.  Although enjoying may be the wrong term given how sad it is, especially with the news that his death has been ruled a suicide. 
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

sillyboob

Quote from: Murph on Aug 09, 2019, 10:41 AMI literally had never listened to one Silver Jews song before yesterday when I kept reading all of this praise for David Berman.  Seems like a classic case of the tortured artist.  Sad  :undecided:

After a few quick listens to some songs off of 'American Water', I can already see what all the fuss was about.  So many great lines! I can tell that I'll be able to dig in deep with this guy.  Was anyone else a big David Berman fan?

RIP

I've put the Silver Jews on my list to check out based on all the comments from the bands I love.  He's already a huge influence on my life without me even knowing it.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Murph on Aug 09, 2019, 10:41 AMI literally had never listened to one Silver Jews song before yesterday when I kept reading all of this praise for David Berman.  Seems like a classic case of the tortured artist.  Sad  :undecided:

RIP

I was/am a HUGE Pavement fan so I got into Silver Jews because of Stephen Malkmus and Bob Nastanovich being in the band.  Didn't realize that David Berman was behind naming Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted album!!!