Main Menu

UD or UC?

Started by sweatboard, Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

The jury is still out for me but both keep growing on me.  I love his heart and soul!!!
There's Still Time.........

cshum372

For me it's without a doubt- Uniform Distortion, such a " fun" album. I love Jim's commitment to his muse, and I feel like this is a great period in his career output ( I keep feeling that way! for nearly 10 years now!)

That being said, Uniform Clarity is definitely growing on me.

Lucius

Clarity I think might be the first thing to occur in the MMJ universe that I genuinely don't like and find painful listening to. First of all I can't stand 90% of acoustic music and then you throw in dry, strained vocals and it's just a hard no from me. Every time I try and give Clarity another chance (and lord knows I've tried!!!) I have to cleanse myself with Distortion again. No Secrets is easily in my top 10 jams from this year, a song that can't be bettered! I'm just someone that needs a full band and production values.
it wouldn't be a party without you

Stevie

Clarity..  Jim with an acoustic guitar has always been the pinnacle for me.  His voice isnt what it used to be and his recording method isnt doing him any favors but the emotion is still there.  I love a lot of the electric stuff he does with Jacket but ive been waiting for this for a long time. I totally get the feeling of Clarity being a hard listen, though.  It is, i still really like it. 

cshum372

I think I would love an album like Clarity if I didn't have the full band versions to compare to- If Jim were to release a solo acoustic collection of new material I would be all over it.

I understand the vision, of showing the songs as they were originally composed, and how that aligns with the Fall tour- but I can't help but to compare. That being said, there are a few songs I prefer on Clarity ( Just a Fool, Get to Rome,  Over and Over)

MMJTX

Distortion. All. Day.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
Anytime

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

sweatboard

I still can't decide....I Love them both!  Kudos to him to him even doing it!!

sweatboard

Quote from: Lucius on Oct 30, 2018, 08:45 PM
Clarity I think might be the first thing to occur in the MMJ universe that I genuinely don't like and find painful listening to. First of all I can't stand 90% of acoustic music and then you throw in dry, strained vocals and it's just a hard no from me. Every time I try and give Clarity another chance (and lord knows I've tried!!!) I have to cleanse myself with Distortion again. No Secrets is easily in my top 10 jams from this year, a song that can't be bettered! I'm just someone that needs a full band and production values.
You haven't heard the right acoustic music

Cameron

Distortion. Favorite album of the year.

Lucius

Quote from: sweatboard on Nov 01, 2018, 12:42 AM
Quote from: Lucius on Oct 30, 2018, 08:45 PM
You haven't heard the right acoustic music

I don't dislike it all, I'm just someone who prefers a full band. I thought the acoustic album that Lucius did recently for example was really well done, really beautiful and atmospheric. But with most acoustic stuff I switch off, it's just not for me.
it wouldn't be a party without you

Brother Beck

I can't lie, when I first started reading about 'Uniform Clarity' I got so excited thinking it was going to be versions of the songs with better production.  It bums me out that I am not on Jim's wavelength anymore when it comes to the kind of music he's making.  He used to be my absolute favorite artist. 

'No Secrets' is an absolutely incredible song.  Unfortunately for me, as time has gone on, it's the only one from the entire endeavor where the production and sound of what I am hearing doesn't actively work against my enjoyment of the song.

I honestly do think I would greatly enjoy the album 'Uniform Distortion' with the songs as they are written and performed but played by MMJ and recorded by say Tucker Martine in the style that the Waterfall songs were recorded, or Joe Chiccarelli Evil Urges style.  John Leckie Z style would be a dream come true for me.