Neil Young Likes My Morning Jacket

Started by Mr. White, Nov 28, 2018, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

I've been reading Neil Young's autobiography from 2012 recently. I'm about half way through it this time (read a third of it back when it came out and have started from the beginning again since it's been more than 6 years now).

Anyway, Neil has mentioned My Morning Jacket a couple of times, and this part that I just read stood out to me. It is a statement as to what is truly important in music and in life (if your life is music and music is a big part of your life like it seems to be with me).

Neil Young: Waging Heavy Peace - A Hippie Dream (2012)
Chapter Thirty-Two, page 229:

"I like bands for different reasons, and the reasons are not consistent. Pearl Jam is a band I have a lot of respect for. Nirvana and Sonic Youth I feel the same way about. Mumford & Sons, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, Givers, and Foo Fighters are just some of my favorites. I respect bands that give me something of themselves that I can feel. ("Posing" bands turn me off, generally speaking.) It all has to do with a feeling I have about them. That is what music is to me, a feeling. It's similar with people, too."

It goes on from there to describe how Neil hooked up with Pearl Jam to record the Mirror Ball album back in 1995.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

dogwoody

If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure MMJ has hung out with him at his house on a couple occasions