[RUMOR] These are the last 3 shows that My Morning Jacket will ever play

Started by superfrodies, Dec 05, 2018, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfrodies

So, right upfront here I'm stating this is a RUMOR. It's 100% "a friend of a friend" type of deal. I have not talked to the band. I'm not personally an insider. So fair warning.

My friend, who lives in Louisville, has heard that these are their final three shows. His coworker, who he says is actually connected with some of the Jackets, told him that these upcoming 3 shows in 2019 are the last three shows they are contractually obligated to play and then "that's it."

This would actually make a lot of sense, as those venues book out at least two years in advance, so they've probably had these three shows on the books for quite a while and are contractually obligated to play them or else probably face a monetary penalty of some sort. Also, announcing 3 random shows is very suspect/odd. Also, also...it's just been super quiet on the MMJ front. Jim consistently denies that there is a Waterfall Pt. 2 coming out anymore. He's made it abundantly clear that he is fine doing his own solo thing and has booked a lot of shows by himself for 2019. There's no OBH next year. MMJ is not a priority for Jim, it seems, and so as much as it pains me to say it, perhaps these last three shows really are the last three shows.

Regardless, I'll see you fools at Red Rocks for two amazing nights. I pray they are not our last, but if it has to be so, there's no other place I'd rather be for my final MMJ shows than Red Rocks.

Clarkwork

Seriously doubt this, because if they knew and could plan for 3 final shows I feel a lot more planning, advertising etc would be put into 3 final shows by a band that has the following they do.  Until it comes from the band I wouldn't believe or spread it.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Dondantesinferno

I don't know anything at all but it would be their style to just go to the places they liked the most and be done with it without fanfare. No farewell tour sort of thing. I hope I'm wrong!

jttouch2

I agree that I'd expect it to be publicly announced so as to drive ticket sales, but from their perspective they can probably push sales pretty good just by coming off hiatus at the beginning, then say "final 3 shows" in like May and push them again. If it turned out that this was the end, I'm gonna have to make it to all 3 somehow.

Interesting to keep tabs on, I never bought the breakup rumors during the hiatus stuff but this does make a little more sense as time passes

Jbpats

unfortunate news if it's true.
That said Forest Hills as their last show? I'd highly doubt it. I'd think they go home for it.

jttouch2

Quote from: Jbpats on Dec 05, 2018, 01:17 PM
That said Forest Hills as their last show? I'd highly doubt it. I'd think they go home for it.
I think so too

MikeR1390

I heard the exact same RUMOR this week as well from a buddy in Louisville, who knowing this town, runs in the same circle as your source. This would be incredibly sad and make for a bittersweet trip to CO.

parkervb

Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 05, 2018, 01:18 PM
I think so too
i concur

but I can see some how these shows would be part of a contract b/c they are pretty random and it's an extremely low amount of shows considering the overhead of the crew, the gear, the travel, etc.

they may not be ready to get back together as soon as we'd all like and just want to knock out the obligations so they can come together when the time is right.

i'll also add, Jim is in LA, Tommy/Carl are in Nashville and Bo seems to be based in LA...Patrick is only one really still kicking it in Louisville so rumors coming from there don't have the same weight as they might have in previous years (at least to me)
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

superfrodies

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 05, 2018, 01:27 PM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 05, 2018, 01:18 PM
I think so too
i concur

but I can see some how these shows would be part of a contract b/c they are pretty random and it's an extremely low amount of shows considering the overhead of the crew, the gear, the travel, etc.

they may not be ready to get back together as soon as we'd all like and just want to knock out the obligations so they can come together when the time is right.

i'll also add, Jim is in LA, Tommy/Carl are in Nashville and Bo seems to be based in LA...Patrick is only one really still kicking it in Louisville so rumors coming from there don't have the same weight as they might have in previous years (at least to me)

His coworker is friends with Patrick's family, I've since learned, so that's where the rumor was coming from.

rkwedge

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 05, 2018, 01:34 PM
i can only imagine how this is going over on the FB pages
Same way it did when "OBH4 was the end of the band" I'm sure.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

superfrodies

Quote from: Clarkwork on Dec 05, 2018, 01:00 PM
Seriously doubt this, because if they knew and could plan for 3 final shows I feel a lot more planning, advertising etc would be put into 3 final shows by a band that has the following they do.  Until it comes from the band I wouldn't believe or spread it.

Well they may have had them booked before they decided to go on hiatus, figuring they will fill in the rest of the summer with other shows. then as the hiatus drew on they've since decided not to book a full tour and just make these shows their final shows. OR, more likely, they'll announce a final run of shows back in Louisville after these shows have sold out.

ranyart

Sad news indeed if this is true but I have my doubts for many of the reasons stated above.  I prefer to think about it this way...

If you are in a band who's contract is up for renewal wouldn't it be in your best interest from a negotiating standpoint to take the approach they are taking?  Wouldn't that give them the best possible position from which to negotiate a new deal?

Sheets Of Clay

I'll admit the guy sitting in front of me at Jim's Louisville show said the same thing about the 3 shows next year being the end. Didn't really pay it any mind at the time, not really sure I believe it now.

parkervb

Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Dec 05, 2018, 02:00 PM
I'll admit the guy sitting in front of me at Jim's Louisville show said the same thing about the 3 shows next year being the end. Didn't really pay it any mind at the time, not really sure I believe it now.

were those shows even announced then?

Cameron

I don't buy it. Not saying I'd be shocked but they're basically broken up now as far as new music and touring so why actually make it final? If it is true I doubt it lasts more than 2 or 3 years anyway. Glad I'm going to Forest Hills though.

cshum372

I think it's just as reasonable that these shows were previously booked, and they decided to take more time off- I don't think it's anything as serious, or final as the band breaking up. They all seem super involved in their own stuff right now- and that's okay, i'm actually loving all the solo music and small venue touring that's occurred in the last year!

As the band enter their 40's I want them to have an appropriate work/ life balance. haha- Can't wait to see them in Queens!

jttouch2

With all the rumors coming from people who claim connection to Patrick's family, could it (theoretically) be possible that Patrick just intends to leave the band?? They've obviously had lineup changes before (including at drummer) and Patrick does have a career path outside of music in the food industry that he could theoretically find more appealing and worthy of full-time commitment.