[RUMOR] These are the last 3 shows that My Morning Jacket will ever play

Started by superfrodies, Dec 05, 2018, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: dontgetupset on Dec 06, 2018, 05:39 PM
I spoke to someone in the know today (not specifically with MMJ but with - and I use this term loosely- the jamband scene) and he said these are not the last shows. Was pretty adamant

Not doubting the source but could you provide a little more insight how someone not specifically connected w MMJ would know?

I have actually been a little depressed thinking about life without live MMJ.

ranyart

Another thing to keep in mind is MMJ switched management about a year ago and no doubt they have been following a plan as part of that ever since.  The shows we have been enjoying ever since (NYE, OBH4, and the 2019 RR and FH) are seemingly the leftover commitments from past deals.  MMJ's communications have all been extremely clear and 100% accurate about future their touring plans since all of this has been put into motion.  Carl and Jim on the road solo and Bo with Roger is all well and good, but I think everyone here agrees that MMJ is more than the sum of its parts JJ+TB+PK+CB+BK.  I want more and I would be shocked if there's not more coming when the time is right.

Lonndown27

Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 05, 2018, 10:16 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Dec 05, 2018, 08:50 PM
this is a band that can never die..
never will and never lie
down in the bottom with the rotting combi-corpse of The Band, R.E.M, The Stooges and Sonic Youth

we will be at Red Rocks
they will rock with their cocks
out and maybe Patrick can cook onstage
and Jim is so full of light
he made Michael Vick a My Morning Jacket fan
we may never know Bo's true height
but at least at the end of Dancefloors we see thefucker stand

and talk of Dave Givan taking Patrick's seat
makes me wanna throw up in disgust at this deceit
for none of us know the future and these circles in Louisville go round and round
people with knowledge of everything and nothing at the same time abound
we know this band could get sick of each other
but from what we know, they're blood brothers

i don't know this is all so intriguing. the band over?? it would feel like unfinished business..right? But isn't it always unfinished business?

this cannot be it.

This band will never die b/c folks like Lonndown will keep it going with dope ass stuff like this poem. Also is Mike Vick actually a jacket fan?

one can only hope hahha i just thought of someone who may have been redeemed by the light of Jim James, theoretically but as someone who murdered 1,000s of dogs, he may need 5 Jim James'
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

talltyson

Quote from: ranyart on Dec 06, 2018, 06:45 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is MMJ switched management about a year ago and no doubt they have been following a plan as part of that ever since.  The shows we have been enjoying ever since (NYE, OBH4, and the 2019 RR and FH) are seemingly the leftover commitments from past deals.  MMJ's communications have all been extremely clear and 100% accurate about future their touring plans since all of this has been put into motion.  Carl and Jim on the road solo and Bo with Roger is all well and good, but I think everyone here agrees that MMJ is more than the sum of its parts JJ+TB+PK+CB+BK.  I want more and I would be shocked if there's not more coming when the time is right.

The change of management explains of lot of these recent, strange feeling tours.  Thanks for that.  Also, if they have new management, that tells me they intend on staying around, who know in what capacity, but it makes me rule out a few year hiatus or breakup. 

I also don't get people wanting them to rush this next album.  If they felt they could produce something great, i think they would be doing it.  They had a long run of being together, separation is probably a great thing!

Stevie

Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Dec 05, 2018, 02:00 PM
I'll admit the guy sitting in front of me at Jim's Louisville show said the same thing about the 3 shows next year being the end. Didn't really pay it any mind at the time, not really sure I believe it now.
Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 05, 2018, 02:29 PM
With all the rumors coming from people who claim connection to Patrick's family, could it (theoretically) be possible that Patrick just intends to leave the band?? They've obviously had lineup changes before (including at drummer) and Patrick does have a career path outside of music in the food industry that he could theoretically find more appealing and worthy of full-time commitment.

If Patrick leaves, its not MMJ anymore.

jttouch2

Quote from: Stevie on Dec 06, 2018, 10:01 PM
Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Dec 05, 2018, 02:00 PM
I'll admit the guy sitting in front of me at Jim's Louisville show said the same thing about the 3 shows next year being the end. Didn't really pay it any mind at the time, not really sure I believe it now.
Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 05, 2018, 02:29 PM
With all the rumors coming from people who claim connection to Patrick's family, could it (theoretically) be possible that Patrick just intends to leave the band?? They've obviously had lineup changes before (including at drummer) and Patrick does have a career path outside of music in the food industry that he could theoretically find more appealing and worthy of full-time commitment.

If Patrick leaves, its not MMJ anymore.

Patrick coming in might be the best addition of lineup made to the band IMO. Carl and Bo are absolutely huge but the drums from the first two albums compared to It Still Moves are just night and day for me. Him leaving would be majorly heartbreaking and I don't think its gonna happen, hat management comment was really refreshing, I forgot about that and that makes me feel much better

searchinbig

"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

dontgetupset

Quote from: unravelled on Dec 06, 2018, 06:29 PM
Quote from: dontgetupset on Dec 06, 2018, 05:39 PM
I spoke to someone in the know today (not specifically with MMJ but with - and I use this term loosely- the jamband scene) and he said these are not the last shows. Was pretty adamant

Not doubting the source but could you provide a little more insight how someone not specifically connected w MMJ would know?

I have actually been a little depressed thinking about life without live MMJ.

Hey. Without giving away too much info someone who knows Jim from having been involved in MMJ and Jim solo concerts over the years. There is a degree of interpretation here. Also I should add that he would admit that he doesn't know for sure. On the other hand if this was a rumor in the industry (and not something localized to Louisville) he would surely know.

slappymoe

for some reason, when I consider the potential end of the band my first thought is.......no more One Big Holidays. :cry:

just get together in the caribbean once every couple of years. that would suffice for me.

CountSA

Hoptimus Prime

Except for the kid in the friggin' Duck shirt in the background.  Someone call CPS - that's child abuse!
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

Mr. White

I have posted here on this most awesome of all Forums about this before, but I guess it needs to be said again. This band will not be breaking up any time soon. Pretty much guaranteed.

I don't have any expertise in local matters (I'm sort of a loner), but I do go to a fair amount of shows and associate with and know some of the band's family members (only from meeting them at various musical events in and around Louisville, following them on some select Social Media platforms, and greeting them with either a hug or a smile and maybe some small-talk at shows when it seems appropriate). I am not saying anything I haven't said before, but here goes again.

Jim is based here in Louisville. Everyone keeps saying he's permanently moved out to Los Angeles and has removed himself from the scene. He is living there and is based out of L.A. for a big chunk of the year, but he also owns a home in Louisville. I've spoken with a woman who lives on the street where he was looking for a house two years ago, and she said it was an old house but pretty big (he decided not to get it because there would be too much work getting it live-in ready). One of the Forum members has moved here from California, and he told me Jim was going through a real estate guy he knows looking at a house worth more than a million dollars just a few months ago. This tells me he will never lose his hometown roots. His mother is here. His aunts and uncles are here (I know two of them), and he comes to town often for his various projects that are community improvement based and very labor intensive. Sure, none of this really matters as far as the band sticking together is concerned, but one of the comments made it sound like since they were all spread out and doing their own thing, this somehow meant they were losing the cohesiveness that is vital in keeping a band together.

The family members I know in passing and some I've only spoken with once or twice always show up at the various solo shows that are going on to show support for one another. This happened again at Carl's most recent stop here in Louisville on October 6th. Patrick was there. Aaron Hallahan (Patrick's brother - who I know a little) was there and so was his mother. Jim's aunt (who has a similar job as me and who I know the most of all the family members) was there too and rocking out right behind me on the rail for Carl's show. They were all at the Carl shows here back in 2016 and 2017 too. Sure, this means nothing ... other than the fact that the band is a FAMILY, and their own families know this and support each other.

Money is also a consideration (unfortunately). Carl's shows had a much worse fan showing than he did back on his other tours in 2016 and the shorter one in 2017. He's now opening for some select shows for Strand Of Oaks. Opening isn't where his career needs to be. Jim's own hometown homecoming end of tour show wasn't even sold out at the Louisville Palace (some other venues were, including the show I went to the night before at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center in Nashville, but lots of other shows didn't sell out. Patrick is having a good time playing with his friend from VHS or Beta (Craig Pfunder) in Jake Shears' band, but that tour is over. He's also doing other local band one-time collaborations, and that's always fun. Plus, he's got the food thing going on. However, none of that makes him the money he makes when MMJ tours. He's got a growing family to provide for. He's rooted here in Louisville for sure. Tom and Patrick have collaborated in musical projects recently (Mickey Raphael's Country Music Hall of Fame Induction). Tom and Carl live in Nashville with their wives but make a point of it to collaborate as much as possible. Tom played in Carl's band a number of times on his 2016-17 tour. Tom also makes his way up to Louisville from time to time. He was here last weekend for the Louisville Super Con thing (he posted some images on his Instagram account). Also, Nashville and Louisville are connected by I-65 and are only 3 hours away from each other. Getting back to the money thing, MMJ makes much, much more money when together than they do apart. That's just simple math.

They may have longer breaks and take time off between tours and albums, but the band will be together. I feel it in my bones.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Hoptimus Prime

5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

midwesterner

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 07, 2018, 03:22 PM

Money is also a consideration (unfortunately). Carl's shows had a much worse fan showing than he did back on his other tours in 2016 and the shorter one in 2017. He's now opening for some select shows for Strand Of Oaks. Opening isn't where his career needs to be. Jim's own hometown homecoming end of tour show wasn't even sold out at the Louisville Palace (some other venues were, including the show I went to the night before at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center in Nashville, but lots of other shows didn't sell out. Patrick is having a good time playing with his friend from VHS or Beta (Craig Pfunder) in Jake Shears' band, but that tour is over. He's also doing other local band one-time collaborations, and that's always fun. Plus, he's got the food thing going on. However, none of that makes him the money he makes when MMJ tours. He's got a growing family to provide for. He's rooted here in Louisville for sure. Tom and Patrick have collaborated in musical projects recently (Mickey Raphael's Country Music Hall of Fame Induction). Tom and Carl live in Nashville with their wives but make a point of it to collaborate as much as possible. Tom played in Carl's band a number of times on his 2016-17 tour. Tom also makes his way up to Louisville from time to time. He was here last weekend for the Louisville Super Con thing (he posted some images on his Instagram account). Also, Nashville and Louisville are connected by I-65 and are only 3 hours away from each other. Getting back to the money thing, MMJ makes much, much more money when together than they do apart. That's just simple math.

They may have longer breaks and take time off between tours and albums, but the band will be together. I feel it in my bones.

I honestly think money will be a very big factor. As you mentioned Jim may own two homes. That gets expensive. And he will not make as much touring solo. This goes even more for the rest of the band who would have even smaller music careers making even less money.

APR

Thanks Mr. White.  Good perspective.  It seems like they're all friends (I read that Jim showed up at Carl's LA show, Tom worked on Carl's album, the list goes on and on). 

The fact that they don't live in the same cities doesn't matter.  I know it's a different band, and I don't delve into boards to hear about any potential rifts, but as far as I know Tame Impala, who haven't put out an album in a while but have done the occasional show here and there the past two years, is still going strong while band members live on three different continent.

thefudgefactory

Quote from: APR on Dec 07, 2018, 04:32 PM
The fact that they don't live in the same cities doesn't matter.  I know it's a different band, and I don't delve into boards to hear about any potential rifts, but as far as I know Tame Impala, who haven't put out an album in a while but have done the occasional show here and there the past two years, is still going strong while band members live on three different continent.

Tame Impala is kindof a bad example since creatively it's only one guy.

dookie shoot bandit

I have posted here on this most awesome of all Forums about this before, but I guess it needs to be said again. This band will not be breaking up any time soon. Pretty much guaranteed.

I don't have any expertise in local matters (I'm sort of a loner), but I do go to a fair amount of shows and associate with and know some of the band's family members (only from meeting them at various musical events in and around Louisville, following them on some select Social Media platforms, and greeting them with either a hug or a smile and maybe some small-talk at shows when it seems appropriate). I am not saying anything I haven't said before, but here goes again.

Jim is based here in Louisville. Everyone keeps saying he's permanently moved out to Los Angeles and has removed himself from the scene. He is living there and is based out of L.A. for a big chunk of the year, but he also owns a home in Louisville. I've spoken with a woman who lives on the street where he was looking for a house two years ago, and she said it was an old house but pretty big (he decided not to get it because there would be too much work getting it live-in ready). One of the Forum members has moved here from California, and he told me Jim was going through a real estate guy he knows looking at a house worth more than a million dollars just a few months ago. This tells me he will never lose his hometown roots. His mother is here. His aunts and uncles are here (I know two of them), and he comes to town often for his various projects that are community improvement based and very labor intensive. Sure, none of this really matters as far as the band sticking together is concerned, but one of the comments made it sound like since they were all spread out and doing their own thing, this somehow meant they were losing the cohesiveness that is vital in keeping a band together.

The family members I know in passing and some I've only spoken with once or twice always show up at the various solo shows that are going on to show support for one another. This happened again at Carl's most recent stop here in Louisville on October 6th. Patrick was there. Aaron Hallahan (Patrick's brother - who I know a little) was there and so was his mother. Jim's aunt (who has a similar job as me and who I know the most of all the family members) was there too and rocking out right behind me on the rail for Carl's show. They were all at the Carl shows here back in 2016 and 2017 too. Sure, this means nothing ... other than the fact that the band is a FAMILY, and their own families know this and support each other.

Well said Mr White!  :thumbsup:

Lonndown27

I.
LOVE.
THIS.
BEAUTIFUL.
MAN
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

parkervb

"ever" is the strong word here. Obviously they are performing together next year and I bet they are fielding offers for festivals, so that's all we truly have to go on for now.

if they don't book any other shows for 2019, let's hope they get in the studio together. For all I can tell, it's been since the Stinson Beach Waterfall sessions in 2014 since they made new music all together. 
Don't you ever turn it off

cshum372

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 10, 2018, 11:28 AM
"ever" is the strong word here. Obviously they are performing together next year and I bet they are fielding offers for festivals, so that's all we truly have to go on for now.

if they don't book any other shows for 2019, let's hope they get in the studio together. For all I can tell, it's been since the Stinson Beach Waterfall sessions in 2014 since they made new music all together. 

I am going to optimistically assume that a lack of live shows this year means more studio time/ creative process for new music- I am hoping that we see some new tunes revealed at the 3 shows of 2019 and the band has a new album- massive tour for 2020.

For whatever reason, the Waterfall Part 2 doesn't seem to be happening. I get the impression that the band might not be too hyped about the songs ( What I have heard is good, but they might not want it as an album release.)

It is very feasible however, that we can still get a live release from this band ( album/dvd??) before the year is up- supposedly they are in the " mixing" process of that effort.

Jim's creative muse is at a peak right now ( he has released 3 albums since Waterfall came out) If another Jim solo record comes out before new Jacket material, that spells trouble for me, that something in their process isn't clicking..

Jim's comments about the process of " Uniform Distortion" show that he might be a little fed up with how long the creative process takes with Jacket- Every studio release since Evil Urges has seemed like quite the process-

I think we will know a lot more about the state of the band by year's end- If these 3 shows go down without any word of a live album/ new material I think we have reason to be alarmed.