Thank You, Everybody

Started by Jacketeer34, Dec 09, 2018, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacketeer34

So I'm turning 22 tomorrow and birthdays are always a little tough for me. I've always been scared of growing older. I know a lot of you guys out here on the form are older than I am, and it might sound crazy from just reading through all the posts, but I just wanted to say you guys seem really cool and at peace. And this gives me tons of hope and inspiration that one day I can be as awesome as the guys over on the My Morning Jacket forum. So I want to thank all of you. Whenever growing older sounds like this dark thing to me, I try to picture all the people at a MMJ concert just jamming and living their life to the fullest.

Anyways: thank you, everybody :)

sillyboob

Hello Jacketeer34, and happy birthday!!  Great post.  I wanted to pass along that this really is a great forum of folks, joined together by a love of a certain band, young and old, from parts near and far.  This is a place where everyone is welcome, and everyone will welcome you.  It's a feeling you get at the shows, meeting up with friends new and old.

As an 'elder' (at the ripe old age of 45) let me say this - don't be afraid of getting older.  Getting older is just a number getting bigger, and if you're alive, there ain't nothing you can do to stop it.  I'm still the same person at 45 that I was at 22.  My brain feels the same, I think the same things.  My body may feel older, heavier, and with less hair, but my brain is still a snot-nosed kid (most of the time).  I've learned to be responsible, to keep a job, to own a home, to pay off my cars and to keep my debt to just a mortgage.  But I still feel young in my mind.

A friends from college liked sum up life as this: It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years.

Don't be afraid of living your life.  But do so within your means as much as you can.  Debt (credit card, student loans, mortgages, car loans) just limit your options.  There are good reasons to go into debt at certain times in your life, but try to limit it as much as you can.

Sorry if this comes off as preachy.  I just wanted to wish a happy birthday and to give you a good reason to look forward to getting older.  Hopefully I did.  I remember being in my late teens / early twenties and life being not so easy at times.  But at other times, it was good.  Keep your head in the good times, and try to let go of the bad times, as difficult as that may be.

And if I can offer you only one tip for the future, wear sunscreen.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: sillyboob on Dec 09, 2018, 05:33 PM
Hello Jacketeer34, and happy birthday!!  Great post.  I wanted to pass along that this really is a great forum of folks, joined together by a love of a certain band, young and old, from parts near and far.  This is a place where everyone is welcome, and everyone will welcome you.  It's a feeling you get at the shows, meeting up with friends new and old.

As an 'elder' (at the ripe old age of 45) let me say this - don't be afraid of getting older.  Getting older is just a number getting bigger, and if you're alive, there ain't nothing you can do to stop it.  I'm still the same person at 45 that I was at 22.  My brain feels the same, I think the same things.  My body may feel older, heavier, and with less hair, but my brain is still a snot-nosed kid (most of the time).  I've learned to be responsible, to keep a job, to own a home, to pay off my cars and to keep my debt to just a mortgage.  But I still feel young in my mind.

A friends from college liked sum up life as this: It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years.

Don't be afraid of living your life.  But do so within your means as much as you can.  Debt (credit card, student loans, mortgages, car loans) just limit your options.  There are good reasons to go into debt at certain times in your life, but try to limit it as much as you can.

Sorry if this comes off as preachy.  I just wanted to wish a happy birthday and to give you a good reason to look forward to getting older.  Hopefully I did.  I remember being in my late teens / early twenties and life being not so easy at times.  But at other times, it was good.  Keep your head in the good times, and try to let go of the bad times, as difficult as that may be.

And if I can offer you only one tip for the future, wear sunscreen.

Well said sillyboob!!!  I'm 47 and I too look at my age as nothing more than a number!!!  Living life to it's fullest is the only way to live!!!

APR

Happy Birthday!  No reason to be scared.  I'm 46 and happier in my 40s than 20s by miles.  I have met people on this forum in their 20s and 60s......consistently really cool, great, and at peace people.  Keep hope and inspiration and kindness and having fun going as much as humanly possible, and growing old won't be a dark thing at all.  In fact, it's amazing and continues to involve jamming at Jacket and other great bands' shows.

LBSUNFLWR

Agree with all that has been said here! At 44 I also feel like I'm the same person (on the inside) as when I was 22, 35, and so on. Getting older is not scary and will be whatever you make of it!

Happy Birthday!! Thanks everyone for sharing. ❤️