My Morning Listen

Started by MMJCOBRA, Jan 18, 2019, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

A generic topic to discuss MMJs music.

I'll start. Listening to Z this morning, I've been thinking about the word masterpiece. The writing, vocals, guitar and keyboards are all distinctive and create a whole album even greater than the sum of it's parts (and those parts are individually brilliant).

I've long wondered about the recording and production processes used for Z.  John Leckie produced Z as well as several other of my all time favorites including Radiohead's the Bends, Origins if Symmetry by Muse and the Stone Roses debut.

I've seen very little about these recording sessions which must've included Carl and Bo contributing for the 1st time. Bo, in particular, is all over this album and Carl definitely contributed to the move away from MMJs more southern rock roots.

Can anyone share any stories or links to the creation of this beautiful album? 

Mr. White

JohnnYYac has this Official EPK - promo video on Z posted to his YouTube Channel.
"A promotional video for My Morning Jacket's 2005 release, Z."

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

walterfredo

That was great I've never seen that, thanks!

Odd to see them smoking. Have they all quit? I do remember Tom smoking but don't remember Pattrick and Bo.

Mr. White

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 18, 2019, 11:43 AM
That was great I’ve never seen that, thanks!

Odd to see them smoking. Have they all quit? I do remember Tom smoking but don’t remember Pattrick and Bo.

No problem! John has lots of cool stuff on his YouTube Channel that probably gets overlooked or just forgotten about or never even known about.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jttouch2

Devil's Peanut Butter,Milking Sons, and Thats 2 Bad-Does anybody have them? would be super cool to hear the outtakes from these clearly amazing sessions

Lucius

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 18, 2019, 12:29 PM
Devil's Peanut Butter,Milking Sons, and Thats 2 Bad-Does anybody have them? would be super cool to hear the outtakes from these clearly amazing sessions

Isn't That's Too Bad a B Side from It Still Moves? I'm certain it's one of the bonus tracks on the deluxe re-issue along with the incredible jams that are En La Ceremony and Grab A Body! Perhaps there is a "Z Version" somewhere in the vaults?
it wouldn't be a party without you

jttouch2

Quote from: Lucius on Jan 18, 2019, 09:03 PM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 18, 2019, 12:29 PM

Isn't That's Too Bad a B Side from It Still Moves? I'm certain it's one of the bonus tracks on the deluxe re-issue along with the incredible jams that are En La Ceremony and Grab A Body! Perhaps there is a "Z Version" somewhere in the vaults?

Oh dang, I somehow forgot about that/missed that, Thank you!

cshum372

I remember first hearing MMJ on Satelite radio in 2005- the song I heard, Golden. It was stuck in my head the entire day, so that weekend I went to my local record store to look for the album. To my dismay, the only MMJ record they had was the newly released " Z". I took it home, listened to it 3 times front to back, and have been hooked ever since.

I got on the bus at the exact moment their sound was changing, and of course, have grown to love their entire catalog, but my favorite era is still the 2005-2008 ( Evil Urges was a " generational" album for me, that just really came out at the right time and thematically summed up a lot of what was going on.)

gardenparty

The Evil Urges touring was so good.  Definitely when i became a full time jacket fan

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 18, 2019, 11:31 AM
JohnnYYac has this Official EPK - promo video on Z posted to his YouTube Channel.
"A promotional video for My Morning Jacket's 2005 release, Z."

Love these EPKs so much. Do you think Tom's voice distortion in the video is a hat tip to the Black Lodge in Twin Peaks? 
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire