Carl @ Brad's Basement in Cincinnati (Solo-Acoustic House Concert)

Started by Mr. White, Mar 19, 2019, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Carl had a Pledgemusic project/page where he was raising money to help fund the making of his most recent album, Wished Out. I got the Signed Vinyl + Signed Guitar Picks + T-Shirt Bundle. Another loyal fan went the extra mile and purchased this:

"Once-In-A-Lifetime opportunity: Carl Broemel in your living room (or backyard/garage/basement/), acoustic guitar, 90 minute personal concert.
Terms and Conditions
-Show cannot be announced to the public.
-Tickets cannot be sold
-Artist not liable for any damage to property/location of concert
-Event may occur at an alternate venue, but buyer is responsible for all costs associated with venue, including but not limited to: insurance, audio/video/lighting equipment rental, rental costs, security, food and beverage.
-Technical rider must be met and paid for by buyer
-Sound and local noise ordinances are buyers responsibility.
-Date, time, and location must be mutually agreed upon by artist and buyer.
-Travel and accommodations paid for by buyer"

I was lucky enough to have been invited to this special, special show! It took place at Brad's house in his basement in Cincinnati last Saturday, March 16, 2019. There were around 40 people invited. I knew about 15 to 20 of them, and several were active members on this Forum (some still are from time to time).

Here's a photo taken by Jennifer F. She shared it on Instagram and later on Twitter. I asked her to share it on Twitter, so I could save it. I am sharing it here for all the old-time fans (and any newer ones who happen upon this almost forgotten Forum).

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rkwedge

Wow that's really awesome you got to go Mr White. I bought the same bundle as you and have often wondered who purchased the private show. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Now who bought the party barge?  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ericm

Very cool Mr. White. 👍🏻

I'm glad you got invited and were able to be there for this. I'm sure it was quite the night! Thanks for posting the pic and thanks to Jennifer F for taking it and passing it on.
"Where's Jim going?"

robb

This was, hands down, one of the most special things I've been fortunate enough to witness in all my years following this band.

BIG thank you goes out to Brad for making this happen, and for all the people I've met along the way!

Here's the only picture I snapped.

Was great seeing you, Mr. White!
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Murph

millerjustin

great time & fantastic chatting with you!  really great to see Carl and hear him crack lots of jokes
What's in here won't disappear

sillyboob

So, was he asked any questions, maybe about One Big Holiday 2020, or maybe the live album, or The Waterfall part two tracks?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Mr. White

Carl Broemel at Brad's House – 3/16/2019

Setlist:

Dark Matter (Wished Out)

In The Dark (4th of July)

On The Case (All Birds Say)

Sleepy Lagoon (4th of July)

Questions (All Birds Say)

Enough (All Birds Say)

Snowflake (4th of July)

Wished Out (Wished Out)

Thirteen (Big Star Cover)

Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed Cover)

4th of July into Pink Moon into 4th of July (4th of July & Nick Drake Cover)

Carried Away into Just My Imagination into Carried Away (All Birds Say & The Temptations Cover)

Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty Cover)

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 20, 2019, 04:49 PMCarl Broemel at Brad's House – 3/16/2019

Setlist:

Dark Matter (Wished Out)

In The Dark (4th of July)

On The Case (All Birds Say)

Sleepy Lagoon (4th of July)

Questions (All Birds Say)

Enough (All Birds Say)

Snowflake (4th of July)

Wished Out (Wished Out)

Thirteen (Big Star Cover)

Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed Cover)

4th of July into Pink Moon into 4th of July (4th of July & Nick Drake Cover)

Carried Away into Just My Imagination into Carried Away (All Birds Say & The Temptations Cover)

Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty Cover)

Wow , what a set!!!!  Audio?

Any band, OBH, or album tidbits?

Clarkwork

If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Mr. White

Quote from: Clarkwork on Mar 28, 2019, 12:03 PMVery cool, any Jacket news from Carl at all? 

I've seen Carl live 6 times since the first week of Oct. 2018 & have talked to him either before or after each show but haven't asked those kinds of questions. I've thought about it but haven't. I don't know if he'd say anything solid (or let on to any news at all), so I've been hesitant. The only thing I did say was something to the effect of mentioning I wasn't going to be able to afford the trip out to Red Rocks like I did with my wife in 2016 or to New York (never even been there). I think I said something vague & a bit leading like maybe I can see MMJ some time in the future. He said something like, "Yeah, on a proper tour" or something short like that (might not be the exact quote from him though but close). He said this at the Burl show in Lexington on 2/19/2019 where I had the opportunity to talk with him for a little more time than normal. I drove up very early & actually parked right in front of the place & next to his & Tyler Ramsey's touring van (didn't know it until he walked up by himself to retrieve his guitar). I rolled down my window, & we talked for a bit. We talked about my home in Hodgenville, Kentucky & the distance to the various shows I'd been to and planned on going to, & I even showed him my photos on my phone of Abraham Lincoln's statue there in town when it was covered by ice in the historic ice storm of 2009 that I had recently posted to Instagram (Hodgenville, Ky. - Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln). I spoke with him & Tyler again at the merchandise table while they helped set it up & got them both to sign my #1 of 65 tour poster - first show of the 7 date tour (there wasn't anyone there yet, I just wanted to make sure I was on the rail, so I had an hour & a half wait - only 75 people showed up for that show - I asked the ticket guy at the door after the show).

After Carl had left Brad's house after his set was over, & we were listening to a solo set from AJ Clements from Electric Garden (Louisville Band & a Forum member), I did ask Garrett Miller if he had asked Carl anything about MMJ's future. He said he hadn't either. Not sure anyone did, to be honest.

timescaper

Right on Mr. White - I had quite a bit of time talking with him but Jacket never came up it was really a Jacket-free evening and just focused on Carl's talents.

timescaper

millerjustin

QuoteVery cool, any Jacket news from Carl at all? 

I've seen Carl live 6 times since the first week of Oct. 2018 & have talked to him either before or after each show but haven't asked those kinds of questions. I've thought about it but haven't. I don't know if he'd say anything solid (or let on to any news at all), so I've been hesitant. The only thing I did say was something to the effect of mentioning I wasn't going to be able to afford the trip out to Red Rocks like I did with my wife in 2016 or to New York (never even been there). I think I said something vague & a bit leading like maybe I can see MMJ some time in the future. He said something like, "Yeah, on a proper tour" or something short like that (might not be the exact quote from him though but close). He said this at the Burl show in Lexington on 2/19/2019 where I had the opportunity to talk with him for a little more time than normal. I drove up very early & actually parked right in front of the place & next to his & Tyler Ramsey's touring van (didn't know it until he walked up by himself to retrieve his guitar). I rolled down my window, & we talked for a bit. We talked about my home in Hodgenville, Kentucky & the distance to the various shows I'd been to and planned on going to, & I even showed him my photos on my phone of Abraham Lincoln's statue there in town when it was covered by ice in the historic ice storm of 2009 that I had recently posted to Instagram (Hodgenville, Ky. - Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln). I spoke with him & Tyler again at the merchandise table while they helped set it up & got them both to sign my #1 of 65 tour poster - first show of the 7 date tour (there wasn't anyone there yet, I just wanted to make sure I was on the rail, so I had an hour & a half wait - only 75 people showed up for that show - I asked the ticket guy at the door after the show).

After Carl had left Brad's house after his set was over, & we were listening to a solo set from AJ Clements from Electric Garden (Louisville Band & a Forum member), I did ask Garrett Miller if he had asked Carl anything about MMJ's future. He said he hadn't either. Not sure anyone did, to be honest.
just chirping in to say I approached it about the same way with Carl and didn't mention or press any MMJ stuff - mostly Strand of Oaks, how's your family, etc (my boys are about the same age as his son) - I also always bring up his tech Rocky because he lives close to us.  Interesting to see the vague tour reference, as this jibes with a few things I've heard for next year
What's in here won't disappear