Thoughts on Jim’s comments yesterday

Started by Rupert230, Oct 20, 2019, 05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountSA

Quote from: oistheone on Nov 04, 2019, 11:27 AMAnother interesting bunch of comments here:

https://relix.com/articles/detail/jim-james-here-in-spirit/

On the shows this summer:

QuoteThey were my favorite Jacket shows ever. They were transcendent for me. They were the first Jacket shows, maybe ever, that I played without sunglasses or without hiding behind some kind of cape or my hair. I felt like a new person; I felt like a free person.

I've often felt caged and trapped, but I felt so free. And a lot of that is because we've made a lot of peace as friends in the band. We've had some good talks and said some difficult things to each other, and we just dealt with the truth, and that's translated into a really special thing.

Thanks for sharing, great news to hear to say the least.

This was another interesting tidbit:

With Uniform Clarity, I just stood in a room for three days and played every song I know how to play—I played tons of Jacket songs, tons of covers. We laughed because I felt like I was putting on this concert for one person. It was fun—we have a ton of stuff from that session we can release.

APR

Yes thanks for sharing.  That is great news.  Can't get much better than "transcendent."

Cameron

I mentioned to people how great it was to see him without glasses and looking so happy even on the solo tour. It had been so long since I'd seen him like that.

Maxwell North

Quote from: Cameron on Nov 04, 2019, 07:46 PMI mentioned to people how great it was to see him without glasses and looking so happy even on the solo tour. It had been so long since I'd seen him like that.
That was what made RR so special to me this summer was Jim's energy and vibe it was so great seeing him so happy and enjoying himself. I personally didn't think the band sounded as tight on point as they can be (still sounded amazing) or the setlists selections were mind bending but Jim's energy /vibe during those shows was so great that it didn't matter what they played.

I remembering reading an interview with Jim a few years ago and him saying something along the lines about Neil Young always looks miserable, never smiles on stage, and doesn't look like he wants to really be there and how as fan that can be off putting. But I sorta got that vibe from Jim  during some 2015 shows. So seeing Jim so happy and joyful is what made this summer's RR run so memorable and special.