Songs to introduce someone to Jacket

Started by Rupert230, Sep 09, 2019, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert230

Maybe a thread like this has been done before, apologies if so.  I'm just wondering if you wanted to introduce someone to Jacket what 3-5 songs would you play them?  Let's assume they'd be listening to these on their own.  (Sadly, gone are the days when I could sit around with numerous friends and we could play each other music.)

Bulldog

For me I try and turn on a ton of folks, the nice thing about Jacket is it all depends, for a guy into metal it might be Run thru, for a lady Bermuda Highway, point being it all depends on their tastes, for me at least the Jacket has such a diverse mix of songs.

jttouch2

depends on the person for sure, but I've never met a soul who doesn't like Golden when I play it for them.

Stevie

Showing people new music is such a tricky thing.  I used to want everyone close to me to love Jacket how I did, and then i realized that it's just not for everyone.  I also realized that most people don't really dig into music like some of us.  They don't really need it.  They don't pay attention to it much below the surface level.  But if you have someone who really appreciates rock music, or just artistic emotional expression in general, almost certainly they can find at least a song or two that they will enjoy out of the MMJ catalog.  Especially considering the early work, it's just too genuine and unique to deny.  You just can't expect everyone to have that moment where they become a super fan.  I'm not saying that's what you are after.  I feel like I probably was.

If I were trying to show MMJ to someone now, I would be sure to make it a light serving.  If they dig it, they can always come back for seconds. 

Rupert230

Quote from: Stevie on Sep 10, 2019, 05:06 AMShowing people new music is such a tricky thing.  I used to want everyone close to me to love Jacket how I did, and then i realized that it's just not for everyone.  I also realized that most people don't really dig into music like some of us.  They don't really need it.  They don't pay attention to it much below the surface level. 

I've had that experience lots of times, loving something artistic so much I was determined to turn everyone I cared about on to it, and would get really disappointed if they didn't get it.  You make good points.

Rupert230

I agree with both of you jttouch2 and Bulldog about it depending a lot on the person and their tastes.  So far the person I know through Pearl Jam fanhood, who tends toward the more hard rock and punk side, didn't like Jacket at all but I don't know what he listened to. 

It came up because the other day a friend-- well, an acquaintance, really-- asked me who I saw at Red Rocks and I wasn't even going to try to explain, but he said 'what are they called again?  I'll look them up'.  I don't think he remembered, but I was thinking, what would I send him a link to?  I don't know his musical taste (of course I could ask) but my daughter was at his house and claims they were playing some country songs so that would be a good sign probably.

I also don't generally do it because I didn't get them at all on record, only after I saw them live.  (Same for Pearl Jam, for that matter, but even more so Jacket.)

But as long as I'm not invested emotionally in the outcome, I suppose it never hurts to try to spread the love!

rkwedge

Quote from: Rupert230 on Sep 10, 2019, 08:11 AM
Quote from: Stevie on Sep 10, 2019, 05:06 AMShowing people new music is such a tricky thing.  I used to want everyone close to me to love Jacket how I did, and then i realized that it's just not for everyone.  I also realized that most people don't really dig into music like some of us.  They don't really need it.  They don't pay attention to it much below the surface level. 

I've had that experience lots of times, loving something artistic so much I was determined to turn everyone I cared about on to it, and would get really disappointed if they didn't get it.  You make good points.
I've had the same experiences, trying to get people to like what I like then getting frustrated when they don't. I find just throwing on some live MMJ on a Bluetooth speaker at a get together usually has the best results. My go to is either Red Rocks 2012 or Port Chester 2012. I always get a few "Wow who is this, their really good". I just get that little internal chuckle.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

CountSA

One Big Holiday
Lay Low
Off the Record
Wonderful
Evil Urges
The Way That He Sings

All in the "greatest hits" collection but cover a lot of ground in the MMJ sound.

millerjustin

I just give them a copy of Okonokos - works every time
What's in here won't disappear

ericm

Quote from: millerjustin on Sep 10, 2019, 03:14 PMI just give them a copy of Okonokos - works every time

Yep that's my go to as well. In fact I've given out several and still haven't gotten them back!  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

LBSUNFLWR

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: millerjustin on Sep 10, 2019, 03:14 PMI just give them a copy of Okonokos - works every time

Okonokos was the first thing I heard.
Thanks to my cousin Scott.

mmjatl

2nd on Okonokos, although the songs that sold my buddy who is big into Phish/Panic were War Begun (RR 2012 version) and the Waterfall hits (Tropics, Infancy and Spring).  Sent him two mix cds prior to the Dallas/Fort Worth 2015 show at Verizon.

Lucius

It's hard being from the UK trying to get people into MMJ, 'Southern Rock' just isn't taken seriously by a lot of people here. It took me a while to fully get into it, but I've never looked back and discovered loads of other great bands/artists in the process. I've tried getting my boyfriend into them lately, he loves to profess to everyone how much of a proper music lover he is but in truth I struggle to get him into anything that strays too far from a basic song structure so have been throwing in a couple of "entry level" Jacket songs into our playlists every now and then, ones that have gone down the best are

1 Wordless Chorus
2 I'm Amazed
3 Wonderful
4 One Big Holiday
5 Gideon

The thing is, I can't get him to listen to one band/artist for a long period of time as he gets bored of them so I'm having to be very patient and introduce stuff slowly. I'm hoping MMJ will come back to the UK soon as I know he won't be able to deny the bands live magical greatness!
it wouldn't be a party without you

ranyart

I was hooked when Betsy gave me her copy of Z which spun around in my car's CD player for a good long time before I gave it back.  I love Off The Record, Wordless Chorus, and all of the other songs but Dondante live is epic so what it all comes down to in my mind is this...

If your target person tends to appreciate live music more than studio tracks then Okonokos is a great place to start, but if you think they will appreciate studio work more then I'm going with a copy of Z (or selected songs from Z).

RMarcil34

One Big Holiday is the one that I was introduced to so I guess it would also be my pick if I'm gonna introduce the band to someone. The song just feels nostalgic!

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

millerjustin

What's in here won't disappear

DaFunkyPrecedent

my best success story was buying a friend of mine a plane ticket to Denver and a Red Rocks ticket...they've been hooked ever since! 
God damn those shaky knees.

parkervb

if you're having friends over, maybe in the spirit of the season, just put on Okonokos at a level that isn't TOO loud but enough so its clearly audible and just wait for someone to go "hey what's this your listening to?" during the dual guitars in Lay Low.
Don't you ever turn it off