Main Menu

On This Day

Started by CC, Apr 29, 2020, 03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranyart

We were lucky enough to have been able to get tickets for MMJ at Forest Hills which of course is currently holding the spot as our last MMJ show.  It is mind boggling to consider that it was only a year ago when looking at the pictures from that wonderful weekend in NYC.  Everything and everyone looks so nice and innocent when viewed through the covid-19 lens.  It seems like another world...

Here's to looking forward to the next MMJ show/tour whenever that may happen, and until then stay safe and healthy!

ericm

It really was a glorious day in Forrest Hills last year. We couldn't have asked for a better one and then to get such a great show to close out the 4 show summer tour was about as good as it gets.

Whenever I think of that weekend of NY shows I just get a huge kick out of how we went from an 1,800 person show at the Cap to a 14,000 one the next day in Forrest Hills. Both shows were fantastic and to be able to get an intimate one and a stadium one in the same weekend was something I'll cherish for a long time.

I ended up buying the FH puzzle from the merch shop here, and it was a fun way to kill some time.  Definitely challenging but another nice momento to have from the show. It's framed and up on a wall among some Jacket posters.  :thumbsup:

Hard to believe how much things have changed in a year but here's hoping everyone stays smart and safe til we can do it again.  :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

CC

ON AUGUST 11

2010:

MMJ played at SDSU Outdoor Theater in San Diego, CA

2012:
MMJ played at BMO Harris Pavilion in Milwaukee, WI
w/ Band of Horses

2017:
MMJ played at Peach Festival in Scranton, PA

8/11/2017 Peach Festival

CC

ON AUGUST 12

2002:

MMJ opened for Ben Kweller at Beachland Ballroom & Tavern in Cleveland, OH

2010:
MMJ played at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, CA

2011:
MMJ played at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD
w/ Neko Case

2012:
MMJ played at The LC Pavilion in Columbus, OH
w/ Band of Horses

2015:
MMJ played at Peabody Opera House in St. Louis, MO
w/ Hippo Campus

2017:
MMJ played at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA
w/ The Districts

8/12/2011 Merriweather Post Pavilion

8/12/2017 MASS MoCA

MPP

Thanks for the MASS MoCA vid.  Brought a buddy who lives up there for his first listen to Jacket.  It wasn't Bonnaroo 04, but still an unforgettable concert experience. The audio up on archives is worth checking out, great short-set performance considering the conditions. The Districts got two songs in, then the deluge started!  Had to wait out an almost three hour delay in one of the worst lightning storms I've ever seen.  The one inside bar running out of beer while trying to serve thousands waiting it out didn't help  :beer: Really have to hand it to the band and the organizers for an incredible effort.  All best described in an email we received afterward from MASS MoCA -

Dear My Morning Jacket guests,

As you experienced, it was a complicated night of intense thunderstorms and rain during the My Morning Jacket and The Districts concert. One fact makes the challenges clear: there were 348 lightning strikes in a 15-mile radius during the show delay. That's impossible weather — which is what kept bands off the stage and you off the field.

Everyone involved — the stage crew, the band, and the venue — did everything possible to get you a concert. The band noted that any other venue would have thrown in the towel much earlier in the evening. We were committed to giving you some music. Towards that end, we negotiated an extension of the 11pm sound curfew to midnight to get in as much music as possible. We thank the City of North Adams for that generosity.
We extend a debt of gratitude to The Districts and My Morning Jacket and their intrepid production team for scrambling to put on such an excellent show under excruciating conditions. At 9:30pm, the entire stage, thousands of feet of electronic cabling, and several tons of high amperage sound and lighting gear were literally under 4 inches of water. By 10:10 we had sound restored; 30 minutes later we heard both bands belting out the first beautiful notes of Give Peace a Chance.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding,

MASS MoCA

ericm

Man you're right MPP, that was as bad a lightning storm as I've ever seen. We've all seen some no doubt but that one going on for so long and intensely, is what I won't soon forget.

Even when it finally stopped raining we had to wait out the lightning. It seemed like it had passed and then we'd get another strike and have to reset the clock on it being safe to have the show.

Kudos to the venue and both bands for all they did to give us a show. Even though it was a shorter one than normal, it was classic Jacket making it worth our while. Give Peace a Chance opening was worth the wait alone for me.

"Where's Jim going?"

CountSA

Here's a pic I took from MASS MoCA.  It's definitely a show I will never forget.

MPP

ericm and CountSA were there too? Wish I'd known, would have bought you guys beers. :thumbsup:   That's an awesome photo CountSA! Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of, I had a nice exchange with a couple guys while we were all waiting in the massive line for drinks.  Talked maybe 10 minutes, then finally get the bartenders attention.  They're behind me, and the cases were about to run out, so I ordered them a couple with my two, then handed to them on my way out. They were surprised, thanked me, said maybe see you inside, we part ways. An hour later, gates already open, staked out in a good spot near the front right of the stage with my buddy, Jacket about to start.  And down to my last swig, but not giving up my spot.  Just then get a shoulder tap - it's the two guys, one hands me a beer and says thanks brother.  Best karma moment ever.  Lol

Oh yeah ericm, that lightning just wouldn't stop. Was holed up in the abandoned steam generation building for the first hour, with the EMTs.  Great if short set I thought, especially loved Spring, Compound and OTR.  Some sweet freewheeling guitar on those solos and outros, almost Sticky Fingers era Stones-like looseness to my ears. 

CC

ON AUGUST 13

2011:

MMJ played at Kahbang Festival in Bangor, ME
with Pooch on drums

2015:
MMJ played at the Starlight Theater in Kansas City, MO
w/ Hippo Campus

8/13/2011 Kahbang Festival

Murph

Quote from: CC on Aug 13, 2020, 04:51 AMON AUGUST 13

2011:

with Pooch on drums

Lol... Didnt Patrick eat bad Lobster or something and couldn't play that night?  Another example of the band sticking it out and making the best of a bad situation.

MPP

Quote from: Murph on Aug 13, 2020, 09:36 AM

2011:

with Pooch on drums

Lol... Didn't Patrick eat bad Lobster or something and couldn't play that night?  Another example of the band sticking it out and making the best of a bad situation.

That's some funny sh*t, Pooch with the T-shirt lobster reference. 

You're so right.  I'll bet there's many stories from others here, similar to this one or Mass MoCa.  Not only sticking it out when most bands would likely just cancel and refund, but putting on a great show too.  With humor!  New England gigs seem problematic for them.  Lol

ericm

Quote from: MPP on Aug 13, 2020, 03:19 PM

2011:

with Pooch on drums

Lol... Didn't Patrick eat bad Lobster or something and couldn't play that night?  Another example of the band sticking it out and making the best of a bad situation.

You're so right.  I'll bet there's many stories from others here, similar to this one or Mass MoCa.  Not only sticking it out when most bands would likely just cancel and refund, but putting on a great show too.  With humor!  New England gigs seem problematic for them.  Lol

Yeah man, our guys are real pros.

I don't think the show was ever in jeopardy but how about when we had the rare east coast earth quake late afternoon before the Philly Mann show in 2011?

We even felt it at the Shore in Jersey where I was coming from.  :shocked:
"Where's Jim going?"

MPP

No, to my everlasting regret I was in The Dark about MMJ in 2011.  Would have missed Philly anyway.  Lived 12 years in SF/Bay area, felt one mild 5.2 the whole time.  Moved to DC in 2010, then missed the once in a lifetime east coast earthquake because I was on a work trip - in LA.  :rolleyes:   

ericm

I was leaving the beach on my way to Philly and stopped at our old local liquor store for some goodies and when it hit the whole place was rocking and rolling! Pretty wild start to a helluva fun night.  :wink:

Funny side note was for some shows the Mann gave out these really cool band related baseball cards, with funny stats on the back like on a real card.

The next August when they came back there was another batch of cards and on the back it says "we actually experienced an Earthquake at the Mann" on one part and "that set the one for a Psychedelic experience" on another part.  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

CC

ON AUGUST 14

2002:

MMJ opened for Ben Kweller at Aka Music in Philadelphia, PA

2010:
MMJ played at Outside Lands in San Francisco, CA

2011:
Jim & Carl played at WFNX @ Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, MA
MMJ played at Bank of America Pavilion in Boston, MA
w/ Neko Case

2012:
MMJ played at Meadow Brook in Rochester Hills, MI
w/ Band of Horses

2015:
MMJ played at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO
special guest: Brandi Carlile
w/ Sylvan Esso

8/14/2011 Museum of Fine Arts

MMJTX

Wooo 2015 Red Rocks! My first time at RR!
Been back each time for MMJ since :)
Anytime

ericm

Damn! August has been such a great month for Jacket shows!!  :cool: 
"Where's Jim going?"

subinai

Quote from: ericm on Aug 13, 2020, 03:58 PM
Quote from: MPP on Aug 13, 2020, 03:19 PM

2011:

with Pooch on drums

Yeah man, our guys are real pros.

I don't think the show was ever in jeopardy but how about when we had the rare east coast earth quake late afternoon before the Philly Mann show in 2011?

We even felt it at the Shore in Jersey where I was coming from.  :shocked:

I was coming from NYC for that Philly show. Felt it in my office building before I left to make the journey. So weird. Also saw a crazy meteor on the drive back to NYC after the show. A special day!

Mr. White

Quote from: ericm on Aug 14, 2020, 10:47 AMDamn! August has been such a great month for Jacket shows!!  :cool: 

Red Rocks 2015 (Unlisted)

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Cameron

First RR show for me too. Last minute decision. So glad I did.