The Waterfall II

Started by johnnYYac, Jul 06, 2020, 01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come Closer

Throwback was clearly toast when it appeared on UD and the version there really wasn't that much different than when they played it live imo.

Brother Beck

I love "Ready To Be Called On".  The song rips.  I probably like it better than about 5 of the songs that did make the album.

WeeksByDays

Anyone else hearing some Come Closer similarities on The First Time?

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Nikkogino

Quote from: Mr. White on Jul 16, 2020, 01:00 AM

Interesting choice to play one of the least accessible songs on the album.  They got balls!  Love this though...this was essentially a music video.  Damn it's exciting to see MMJ out there doing it again....can't wait til they can actually play together.

Jbpats

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jul 16, 2020, 05:40 AM
Quote from: Mr. White on Jul 16, 2020, 01:00 AM

Interesting choice to play one of the least accessible songs on the album.  They got balls!  Love this though...this was essentially a music video.  Damn it's exciting to see MMJ out there doing it again....can't wait til they can actually play together.

Surprised this is the tune they decided to play, sounded really nice but far from my first choice of songs I wish they played.
Actually thought it was just the studio version recording until the ending. Clearly it was a different 'live' rendition

parkervb

big Spinning My Wheels fan, glad they played it.
Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

Where can I hear Throwback??

subinai

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 16, 2020, 11:43 AMWhere can I hear Throwback??

aside from the JJ solo album, the band played it on their 2016 ACL appearance.

ChiefOKONO

That was awesome!  I didn't expect that song either.

I wonder how they recorded that?  Just set up each person in a different room?

I didn't recognize Tommy at first either!

Brother Beck

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 16, 2020, 10:35 AMbig Spinning My Wheels fan, glad they played it.

SAME!  It sounded glorious live. 

Woody

I think the decision to play Spinning was a great one. Speaks to the genesis of the decision to release this record and clearly reflects what many of us our dealing with right now in our everyday lives.

walterfredo

Quote from: subinai on Jul 16, 2020, 11:49 AM

Also played at Red Rocks in 2016. Perhaps more shows too, not sure, but def at RR.

Mr. White

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 16, 2020, 12:25 PM

Also played at Red Rocks in 2016. Perhaps more shows too, not sure, but def at RR.

"Thowback" was the first song on the first night of the two night run at the Iroquois Amphitheater in Louisville - 2016-05-12 Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville, KY. I was there with my wife and grandson.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Brother Beck

The MMJ version of "Throwback" they played live was killer. 

Come Closer

Good song/performance (Spinning My Wheels) other than the vocal stylings.

parkervb

Quote from: Woody on Jul 16, 2020, 12:22 PMI think the decision to play Spinning was a great one. Speaks to the genesis of the decision to release this record and clearly reflects what many of us our dealing with right now in our everyday lives.

i also appreciate this song for how plainly personal Jim is on it. Honestly, the last 5 years of the band make more sense to me after listening to it.  It makes me appreciate this record even more and the fact we have a new record to look forward to (at some point). There was a joy to the Port Chester/Forest Hills shows last year that I had not seen in them in a few years and now it makes sense: Jim was beat up physically and emotionally. It seems as if he's put a lot of effort into healing himself and I hope that the next record reflects that as well.
Don't you ever turn it off

subinai

Quote from: Mr. White on Jul 16, 2020, 12:33 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 16, 2020, 12:25 PM

"Thowback" was the first song on the first night of the two night run at the Iroquois Amphitheater in Louisville - 2016-05-12 Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville, KY. I was there with my wife and grandson.

listening to this now. what a cool way to start a show.

Woody

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 16, 2020, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Woody on Jul 16, 2020, 12:22 PMI think the decision to play Spinning was a great one. Speaks to the genesis of the decision to release this record and clearly reflects what many of us our dealing with right now in our everyday lives.

i also appreciate this song for how plainly personal Jim is on it. Honestly, the last 5 years of the band make more sense to me after listening to it.  It makes me appreciate this record even more and the fact we have a new record to look forward to (at some point). There was a joy to the Port Chester/Forest Hills shows last year that I had not seen in them in a few years and now it makes sense: Jim was beat up physically and emotionally. It seems as if he's put a lot of effort into healing himself and I hope that the next record reflects that as well.

Truth. My appreciation level for this record is off the charts. I/we really needed this release.

ChiefOKONO

Thanks, I didn't know they played it.  Just found it here, wow!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJdWZ8vwfeU