Main Menu

OBH 2022

Started by CC, May 13, 2021, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp377674

Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 08, 2022, 01:52 PM
Quote from: mp377674 on Mar 08, 2022, 01:37 PM
Quote from: Cameron on Mar 08, 2022, 12:59 AMThey were up right around my bday (5/17) iirc.

well thats not as quick as i'd hoped but good things come to those who wait

If you haven't already picked up the other OBH live recordings, I highly recommend them.  Among the very best shows in the MMJ catalog.  Other great shows are up on nugs.net as well, among them the Capitol Theater shows from some years back.

oh i've listened to all the nugs shows relentlessly. I'm spoiled by dead and co and PPPP and other jam bands putting their shows up on nugs like the morning after so just will have to wait patiently!

Clarkwork

What a great time that was.  Wish the result was all for Jacket, but that would be my only complaint. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Bulldog

Back in the real world.....ugh was SUCH a great bunch of shows.

MMJ was on point as usual for me at least, one thought "IF" they do a 6th, why dont they go for 4 nights? they have the material.

PJHB was outstanding late night set was phenomenal only complaint would be not enough jams with MMJ. My hunch was with them doing the late night logistically it didnt work for last night of shows?

Lord Huron stepped up BIG time in my book. Heard they are not touring anymore? Hadnt seen them before but if thats accurate what a shame, good live band with some damm talented musicians.

Brittney rocked the joint and was just a joy to see

Black Pumas were a HUGE surprise for me, hadnt expected them to play as well as they did.

Trampled by Turtles were good, but not great. Hurts me to say a local band didnt deliver, but at least to these ears it just kinda all sounds the same. Luv the musicianship and Dave's got an outstanding voice but just didnt do it for me like I had hoped.

Had a blast, the people were awesome (as always) the resort was serviceable. That said, I heard from CID we had a little over 1/2 what Phish had (walter looking to you here for input), honestly I would prefer they stay with the smaller more intimate spots with 3k Could 9 will always be first in my eyes but I just like to root for the underdog. 

walterfredo

Such an amazing experience...again! I try to avoid all of the rankings and comparisons of shows and such, but of the 2 OBHs we have been to, OBH2 and OBH5, OBH2 easily gets the nod on purely the music experience. But having a much deeper crew this go around, the fun factor was through the roof! Although agree with others, much prefer the smaller/quaint feel of the Hard Rock environment.

While not necessarily a huge fan of the song (certainly don't dislike it!), Lucky to Be Alive just felt absolutely perfect as an opener that night. Song placement just felt right...and it all just felt right. I felt lucky to be alive! And there in that moment!

I would say the attendance being about half of that of Phish is pretty accurate. It was night and day overall experience. Just a different crowd too...phish brings a whole different level of "pedal to the metal" with the scene. I've been seeing Phish for going on 30 years and they are my band, but my wife and I both agree that in the future we would be far more likely to attend OBH than Phish Riviera Maya...for multiple reasons, but the whole vibe and feel of OBH is just far more relaxing and friendly. And there is zero chance we would ever to the 2 back to back like we did this year (if the two happened to line up like this again). It was just exhausting. But glad we did it. I would not have been able to live with myself had I missed Trey come out with MMJ! That was f'ing amazing. We are however doing MMJ Red Rocks>Phish Dicks this summer. But there will be 4 days in between where we plan to work from our Airbnb and relax in Denver.

Just gotta love the positivity and friendliness of the OBH/MMJ crowd. Nothing else really even comes close to that feel!

Bulldog

Quote from: walterfredo on Mar 09, 2022, 11:28 AMSuch an amazing experience...again! I try to avoid all of the rankings and comparisons of shows and such, but of the 2 OBHs we have been to, OBH2 and OBH5, OBH2 easily gets the nod on purely the music experience. But having a much deeper crew this go around, the fun factor was through the roof! Although agree with others, much prefer the smaller/quaint feel of the Hard Rock environment.

While not necessarily a huge fan of the song (certainly don't dislike it!), Lucky to Be Alive just felt absolutely perfect as an opener that night. Song placement just felt right...and it all just felt right. I felt lucky to be alive! And there in that moment!

I would say the attendance being about half of that of Phish is pretty accurate. It was night and day overall experience. Just a different crowd too...phish brings a whole different level of "pedal to the metal" with the scene. I've been seeing Phish for going on 30 years and they are my band, but my wife and I both agree that in the future we would be far more likely to attend OBH than Phish Riviera Maya...for multiple reasons, but the whole vibe and feel of OBH is just far more relaxing and friendly. And there is zero chance we would ever to the 2 back to back like we did this year (if the two happened to line up like this again). It was just exhausting. But glad we did it. I would not have been able to live with myself had I missed Trey come out with MMJ! That was f'ing amazing. We are however doing MMJ Red Rocks>Phish Dicks this summer. But there will be 4 days in between where we plan to work from our Airbnb and relax in Denver.

Just gotta love the positivity and friendliness of the OBH/MMJ crowd. Nothing else really even comes close to that feel!

Not so oddy the CID rep said pretty much the same thing about the OBH crowd, the guy I was talking to couldnt have been happier to see us close out the series and echoed your sentiment.

APR

Thanks Walter for that info and honesty.  Your last posted answered a bunch of questions I was curious about (crowd size, vibe, music, and the long duration of your stay there). 

bobmono

Quote from: Bulldog on Mar 08, 2022, 08:52 PMBack in the real world.....ugh was SUCH a great bunch of shows.

MMJ was on point as usual for me at least, one thought "IF" they do a 6th, why dont they go for 4 nights? they have the material.

PJHB was outstanding late night set was phenomenal only complaint would be not enough jams with MMJ. My hunch was with them doing the late night logistically it didnt work for last night of shows?

Lord Huron stepped up BIG time in my book. Heard they are not touring anymore? Hadnt seen them before but if thats accurate what a shame, good live band with some damm talented musicians.

Black Pumas were a HUGE surprise for me, hadnt expected them to play as well as they did.

Trampled by Turtles were good, but not great. Hurts me to say a local band didnt deliver, but at least to these ears it just kinda all sounds the same. Luv the musicianship and Dave's got an outstanding voice but just didnt do it for me like I had hoped.

Had a blast, the people were awesome (as always) the resort was serviceable. That said, I heard from CID we had a little over 1/2 what Phish had (walter looking to you here for input), honestly I would prefer they stay with the smaller more intimate spots with 3k Could 9 will always be first in my eyes but I just like to root for the underdog. 

4 nights of Jacket would be epic - It would take this event over the top, I'm not sure I could handle it but I would find a way!

kotchishm

Quote from: Bulldog on Mar 08, 2022, 08:52 PMBack in the real world.....ugh was SUCH a great bunch of shows.

Lord Huron has a massive 2022 tour planned. Haven't seen anything about them stopping  :headphones:
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

rkwedge

Just got an email/survey from OBH. This statement was included:
A free audio download of all My Morning Jacket performances from One Big Holiday 2022 will be made available next month. Instructions on how to download will be sent to you at that time.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

MOWJO8185

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 17, 2022, 12:30 PMJust got an email/survey from OBH. This statement was included:
A free audio download of all My Morning Jacket performances from One Big Holiday 2022 will be made available next month. Instructions on how to download will be sent to you at that time.

THERE IT IS! Thanks for posting, I was close to organizing a mass email campaign to make sure it happened :)

TomSNY

That's such great news.  I really wanted to listen to these shows again.  Sometimes when I'm there, I feel so happy and am in such a zone, that I don't know if I really hear everything!!
I'm in love with this soul.

bobmono

For those who attended - don't forget to provide feedback to CID, in order to improve the event.  Let's try and get the ball rolling on 4 nights of Jacket starting next year at OBH!!!

Bulldog

Quote from: bobmono on Mar 17, 2022, 04:35 PMFor those who attended - don't forget to provide feedback to CID, in order to improve the event.  Let's try and get the ball rolling on 4 nights of Jacket starting next year at OBH!!!

I stated just that in my survey today  :thumbsup:

oxymoeron

4th OBH
We thought it was the best location and loved Night 2.
Strand of Oaks was great (love Tim Showalter)

https://youtu.be/9WcUl0SZFWg

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3tb1De7v41SHhJWA7mZx0UvgmKXjrmV

MMJTX

Didn't want to start a new thread to get people's hopes up yet. But just saw Widespread Panic just announced Panic In La Playa for 2023, when was OBH 2022 announced? Should we expect 2023 to happen?
Anytime

sillyboob

Quote from: MMJTX on Jun 08, 2022, 08:21 AMDidn't want to start a new thread to get people's hopes up yet. But just saw Widespread Panic just announced Panic In La Playa for 2023, when was OBH 2022 announced? Should we expect 2023 to happen?

Yes, no reason to think OBH 2023 won't happen.  OBH is pretty much the last of the all-inclusive festivals that happen (some start in early December, then they go until early March, when OBH was).  Heard at OBH 2022 that MMJ had a 5 year deal at Moon Palace, so 2023 is highly likely.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

MMJTX

I did just go back and check and the first email announcing OBH 2022 came on May 13th 2021, so we are a bit behind if they follow the same scheduling and assuming OBH is in March 2023
Anytime

Jrbelger02

Any news for next year?

Bulldog

Well I will say it gives me hope that in looking at the CID site they havent announced any shows for Mexico yet, so I'm thinking we still have a chance.