Roll Call - Chicago, IL (Nov 4-6)

Started by RobRoy286, May 21, 2021, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

Oh my GOD,

That If All Else Fails- rockin version! So cool and unexpected!! Coolest thing I've EVER seen them do! I can't wait to hear it again.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Nov 06, 2021, 08:27 AMOh my GOD,

That If All Else Fails- rockin version! So cool and unexpected!! Coolest thing I've EVER seen them do! I can't wait to hear it again.

COMPLETE reworking of IAEF. Much faster tempo with incredible keys by Bo. Really really really really awesome

dexter

The phrase "that was the best dondante ever" gets thrown out there maybe a little too much, but, that was, the best dondante, ever.

ranyart

Just got back to the hotel from the final Chicago show and all I can say at the moment is we could not be happier to be part of these shows, and thank you MMJ for burning down the house!  <3  <3  <3  <3

RobRoy286

That was my favorite Jacket show ever. What an absolute banger.

In Color / Feel You was incredible- both instant classics.

Thank You Too in the encore is something I'll always remember. That was special- an all time highlight for me.

TomSNY

I've been a long time fan and read this forum religiously.  The "other-worldliness" of this Chicago run has inspired me to post here for the first time.  I've been to many awesome shows- Radio City, all the T5 shows, Red Rocks, and the Beacon run (are all time favorites).  However, there was something extra special about this run- the boys were truly in rare form and seemed to be loving every minute.  Jim seemed inspired by his new custom Gibson.  The Thursday show really stood out in my mind.  As Ericm stated, those were the best versions of these songs that I have every heard.  It felt like an out of body experience.

The cherry to top it all off was that I had the chance to meet and talk with Patrick's wife and father-in-law.  Truly a pleasure.  Hopefully this run can sustain me until OBH.  See you all there!
I'm in love with this soul.

walterfredo

I think it's a testament to the awesomeness of this band that everyone (myself included)thinks the show (or performance of a certain song)that they just saw was the GOAT.

Sounds like Chicago was a blast!

mdgsolo

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 07, 2021, 07:10 PMI think it's a testament to the awesomeness of this band that everyone (myself included)thinks the show (or performance of a certain song)that they just saw was the GOAT.

Sounds like Chicago was a blast!

I hate to fall into the old trope, 'you just had to be there' but what I witnessed at the Chicago run was a bit like I still feel about the 2012 Capitol Theater shows: You really had to be there to appreciate the magic of those moments.  It was next level special

dexter

Only did the first two, but what a run. I think 2 edges out 1 slightly but what an effort from mmj. Some good extensions, reworked intros, and just pure energy. This felt very special like the beacon run did. Wish I was going to OBH, looked into prices of the remaining rooms and it seems so much more $ this year.

dexter

Anyone catch the devil theme night 2?  Seemed like a string of songs mentioned hell or devil or lucifer

slappymoe

a great 3 nights.  what a band.  i was pretty bummed about missing OBH5, but now i'm so glad things worked out like they did.

adding my thanks to the taper who already has these shows up. :thumbsup:

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: dexter on Nov 09, 2021, 06:10 AMAnyone catch the devil theme night 2?  Seemed like a string of songs mentioned hell or devil or lucifer

Nice call!!!  I did like the renewal 3 song stretch of First Light, Spring Among the Living, and Lucky to be Alive early in night 3.

Also positive vibes in I'm Amazed, Wonderful, Circuital, What a Wonderful Man, in Color, Feel You, OBH and Thank You Too sprinkled thought the night three setlist!!

MMJCOBRA

The 20 second reverse flash mob, MMJ style, at the end of Evelyn was super ridiculous!!

Also, there's this......

https://consciousalliance.org/collections/all/products/my-morning-jacket-chicago-2021?variant=41390260748452

Both regular and foil available

MMJCOBRA

Also the update in I'm Amazed lyrics to "I'm amazed at the tv station, all the BULLSHIT they want me to believe!!!".  :grin:

MMJCOBRA

Carl taking the high vocal parts on What a Wonderful Man.

Sorry for the stream of conscience memories but they are still trickling in.

Also, the Think I'm Going to Hell Jim mumble!!!!

And the extra vocals in Wonderful.

I mention all these as someone who already saw three previous shows on this tour. This 3 night run was f'n special.

dexter

Quote from: Robert Cannon on Nov 09, 2021, 11:07 PM.

Also, the Think I'm Going to Hell Jim mumble!!!!

At the end right? I have t seen it live that many times, not a normal ending right?

slappymoe

been listening to the recordings.  they sound fantastic.

the acoustic chorale dvd was my introduction to "where to begin." been one of my favorites ever since.  getting it live on thursday might be the highlight of the week for me.  absolutely beautiful, powerful song. 

walterfredo

" It's the art of feelin naked in your clothes"

Such a great lyric!

rkwedge

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 10, 2021, 01:38 PM" It's the art of feelin naked in your clothes"

Such a great lyric!
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.  :thumbsup:

V
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes