My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

As someone who has always wanted more "live show jamming" on record, which has been pretty limited on the past handful of albums, I am pleased.  They really let these songs breathe and don't cut them off before the song is ready to let her rip.  That was my biggest gripe with Circuital...I am a happy dude.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: diddy57 on Oct 21, 2021, 11:08 AMFrom the moment I heard Complex, I conjured a theory of its origin -- this is the full band swing at Jim's Uniform Distortion mindset. I've since read a few album reviews linking this record to Jim's second solo outing -- and some acknowledgments on this site from fans -- citing the striking Uniform Distortion link. UD, to me, is incredibly underrated and has always sounded like a bastard MMJ album. The fact that the band performed Throwback before Jim took it solo lends credence to the fact that the songs seemed so suited to the full band, and only Jim could tell us whether those songs on UD were initially meant to be part of a My Morning Jacket record. Maybe the guys weren't in a good place collectively to do it at the time, or perhaps they were too burnt out from touring to fire up the jets so soon. In any case, it makes for a good discussion in the wake of what we're hearing now.

I was struck reading Steve Hyden's interview with Jim looking back at past records in which James said he and the band found the roots to their rejuvenation when they stopped saying "yes to everything" ... which, of course, is the title of one of Uniform Distortion's best confessional songs. And of course, with this record and the accompanying tour, it feels like a rebirth in which they are doing it their own way for the most part -- self-producing the songs, limiting the tour stops, playing varied sets, staying energized, basically clearing the decks for a fresh approach. It may be one of the reasons they did not choose to put a title on the album. Because it really does feel like a new beginning.

If this record leads to a new, improved appreciation of Uniform Distortion, I'll be all for it. Jim's first and third solo records clearly sounded like solo projects, but UD is different. It just feels like it should have been an MMJ effort, and hopefully it isn't lost to its solo presentation. The band has no shortage of songs to play during future shows, but it would be great to hear a nod or two to UD in future band sets -- Throwback, for sure, but also maybe No Secrets, Yes To Everything and others. The reason is simple: Many of them fit alongside the new material.

For now, I very much look forward to hearing the rest of the new album. I attended MMJ's Greek Theater show in Berkeley and it was resplendent. And while I place it in the context of the entire catalog, I won't forget to include Uniform Distortion. It's obviously too much a part of the big picture to ignore. Its messages might have ultimately saved the band from a permanent breakup. That notion alone makes it essential.

Completely agree!!!  UD is amazing and ridiculously under rated and Yes to Everything is my favorite and would destroy in a MMJ setlist.

justbcuzido

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 21, 2021, 01:28 PMAs someone who has always wanted more "live show jamming" on record, which has been pretty limited on the past handful of albums, I am pleased.  They really let these songs breathe and don't cut them off before the song is ready to let her rip. That was my biggest gripe with Circuital...I am a happy dude.

Which is ironic considering Circuital was recorded almost entirely live. They were live, but super tight on those recordings. Cool they are letting loose on this.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Nikkogino

Quote from: justbcuzido on Oct 21, 2021, 02:23 PM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 21, 2021, 01:28 PMAs someone who has always wanted more "live show jamming" on record, which has been pretty limited on the past handful of albums, I am pleased.  They really let these songs breathe and don't cut them off before the song is ready to let her rip. That was my biggest gripe with Circuital...I am a happy dude.

Which is ironic considering Circuital was recorded almost entirely live. They were live, but super tight on those recordings. Cool they are letting loose on this.
Yeah...some of the songs on there could have slayed.  Imagine out of my system but with a jam at the end.

RobRoy286

This is exactly what I wanted. So good! Some of the best studio songs they've ever put out.

Nikkogino

Can we all agree that the singles selection was horrible?  So many better tracks to hype the album.  I like all 3 songs released, but all work within the context of the album and none of the 3 are standouts.  Least Expected or Penny for Your Thoughts would have been much better choices.

getinthevan

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 21, 2021, 03:16 PMCan we all agree that the singles selection was horrible?  So many better tracks to hype the album.  I like all 3 songs released, but all work within the context of the album and none of the 3 are standouts.  Least Expected or Penny for Your Thoughts would have been much better choices.

Agreed 100%
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

MOWJO8185

Grrr I'll join you all tomorrow in my thoughts.

Stevie

Two things ive noticed:

Compound Fracture vs. Love Love Love: both the 2nd song on the album, both have practically the same drum pattern (from my untrained vantage point)

Only Memories Remain vs I Never Could Get Enough: so many simularities.  The overall vibe of the song.  Jim's echoing vocals 

I doubt any of this was intentional but its interesting to me.  Jim has gone to that soft closer a lot lately.  I dont hate it!

RobRoy286

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 21, 2021, 04:50 PMTwo things ive noticed:

Compound Fracture vs. Love Love Love: both the 2nd song on the album, both have practically the same drum pattern (from my untrained vantage point)

Only Memories Remain vs I Never Could Get Enough: so many simularities.  The overall vibe of the song.  Jim's echoing vocals

I doubt any of this was intentional but its interesting to me.  Jim has gone to that soft closer a lot lately.  I dont hate it!
Oh yeah big time, I swear he does the Memories solo note-for-note for a second there haha. I love it

MOWJO8185

omg... anyone have any interest in helping an impatient guy out. Have a night in with the kids with not a lot going on and can't take all the listening that is happening.

Lucius

If you have iTunes you can switch countries from the bottom right corner of the home page. I switched to Australia where the album is now available and listened to the previews. Couldn't stop myself. I'm now very, very excited to hear the full album. Least Expected sounds like no other Jacket song, yet somehow still sounds like a Jacket song! It sounds SO euphoric and warm and I think I might die of happiness when I hear the full thing :cheesy:

Devil's In The Details, Out of Range and I Never Could Get Enough also sound very "different" in a very, very good way. The previews are telling me that this album's strength is going to be in the softer, more experimental tracks
it wouldn't be a party without you

danielmorgan

On my third run through this morning.

This might be one of their best efforts from a start to finish perspective in well, forever. Long time fan, and reader of this forum but only just signed up. Had to join to share my thoughts. Their time away really has led to some of their most inspired stuff. I hear heaps of Uniform Distortion and even Eternally Even in parts but with the backing of the whole band.

Vinyl is in transit from the US to Aus, hopefully it'll arrive soon.

I was so excited by the teasers from Waterfall II last year and while it was high on my rotation list, just wish they had released it earlier cause my expectations were too high based on what Jim had said way back around the time Waterfall was released.

The singles released to date had me pumped but unsure of what to expect.....they definitely undersold the album but show just how diverse the whole thing is.

Nikkogino

Devil's in the Details is def Jim's attempt to make an Ambulance Blues type track.

RobRoy286

Loving it more and more with each listen. I reallyyy like Out of Range. The last 3 songs are so so good. I'm a happy camper.

And I finally got that old time feeling!  :cool:  :cry:  :beer:  :cool:

Lucius

First full listen done and I have to say Out Of Range is an early favourite of mine too! Also really digging Lucky To Be Alive.

Definitely the start of a new era for the band. There's an effortlessness to every single song. They sound relaxed, happy and charged up!

The Devil's In The Detail is not what I was expecting at all. With 9 minutes I was expecting some kind of epic musical journey but it's an odd, eerie meandering but still kind of wonderful experience. I don't hate it. I'm intrigued by it
it wouldn't be a party without you

RobRoy286

Anyone else hearing How Could I Know/Oxen in that leadup in Out of Range?

Nikkogino

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 21, 2021, 09:09 PMAnyone else hearing How Could I Know/Oxen in that leadup in Out of Range?
Yes, was going to bring that up.  I totally hear it.

Lonndown27

i tripped to this album last night..... i have seen the crimson ghost....i live the love
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 21, 2021, 09:23 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 21, 2021, 09:09 PMAnyone else hearing How Could I Know/Oxen in that leadup in Out of Range?
Yes, was going to bring that up.  I totally hear it.
Completely hear it, so glad others picked that up too. "Out of Range" is one my favs along with "Least Expected". As others have said this album has such a live arrangement feel to it. Listening with good headphones the album's production is very crisp too.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"