Opinions needed: what is the best alternative to Spotify?

Started by Lucius, Feb 07, 2022, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucius

I'm finally making the switch. The low quality of the streaming has bugged me for years but I've been too used to it/lazy to switch. Now the recent controversy has pushed me over the edge and I just don't want to give them any more of my money.

I'm doing a trial with Apple Music but I'm struggling with it. It's not nearly as easy on the eye or as usable as Spotify. It's ugly and confusing. So I think I'm ruling that out too! What else is there? What do you guys use? Spotify really has the gold standard in user experience so I want something as close to that as possible!
it wouldn't be a party without you

Nikkogino

I've heard tidal is good.  About the same price +/- $1 and the quality is way higher.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Nikkogino on Feb 07, 2022, 09:14 PMI've heard tidal is good.  About the same price +/- $1 and the quality is way higher.

So I have had Spotify for several years now and I have been reluctant to make any changes because I just have comfort and familiarity with Spotify.

But after reading your recommendation I downloaded the app and decided to test out the sound quality vs. Spotify.  I was just using a Bose Mini bluetooth speaker and also my car stereo, but I played the same song on both apps and it is amazing how shitty the sound quality is on Spotify compared to Tidal!  And that is just the regular HiFi Family and not the HiFi Plus!  I'm almost curious to hear the difference between the HiFi and the HiFi Plus!!!  But based on the much better sound quality compared to Spotify, I think I'll just be content sticking with the HiFi Family!

And as far as the useablity, it truly is not much different than Spotify and once I get to know the app a little better, I think I might come to like it better overall!

Nikkogino

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Feb 11, 2022, 03:04 PM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Feb 07, 2022, 09:14 PMI've heard tidal is good.  About the same price +/- $1 and the quality is way higher.

So I have had Spotify for several years now and I have been reluctant to make any changes because I just have comfort and familiarity with Spotify.

But after reading your recommendation I downloaded the app and decided to test out the sound quality vs. Spotify.  I was just using a Bose Mini bluetooth speaker and also my car stereo, but I played the same song on both apps and it is amazing how shitty the sound quality is on Spotify compared to Tidal!  And that is just the regular HiFi Family and not the HiFi Plus!  I'm almost curious to hear the difference between the HiFi and the HiFi Plus!!!  But based on the much better sound quality compared to Spotify, I think I'll just be content sticking with the HiFi Family!

And as far as the useablity, it truly is not much different than Spotify and once I get to know the app a little better, I think I might come to like it better overall!
Damn, I may have to switch then too.

iLikeBeer

Not to mention you can transfer all of your playlists from Spotify over to Tidal as well for even added bonus!!!   :beer:

MMJCOBRA

YouTube Music is really great and free w YouTube TV.

Can listen to your and other users' uploaded songs even if they aren't in the YouTube library.

parkervb

Quote from: Robert Cannon on Feb 17, 2022, 09:40 AMYouTube Music is really great and free w YouTube TV.

Can listen to your and other users' uploaded songs even if they aren't in the YouTube library.

yea I am YouTube Music user as well. I need to find out if I should be getting it for free bc I als use YouTubeTV. But the best perk of YouTube Music is that it gives me YouTube Premium so no more ads.

I can't really speak to sound quality though vs the other majors.
Don't you ever turn it off

ranyart

We're YouTube Music users here also and we love it.  One feature that I love is the ability to upload songs/albums like the live MMJ shows from archive.org.  The one downside to YTM is it does not have a way to edit metadata so make sure you get all of that done the way you want it before uploading.

Hawkeye

Perhaps my stereo(s) just make everything sound good...or perhaps my hearing is shot...or perhaps I'm just not all that picky...but Spotify sounds find to me.  I do have Premium and I set the quality to "extreme."  I do have lots of pretty high-end stereo gear (at least compared to most) so maybe everything just sounds good enough that I don't notice.  Honestly I've not yet tried any of the other streaming services either, but I've compared to vinyl and CD's and I don't have any complaints with Spotify.  I don't think it's quite as good, but it's "good enough" for me.  Perhaps ignorance is bliss!  Let us know if you decide on some other service.  I'm selling off all of my physical media, so it's just streaming and files from my hard drive for awhile.
We could.