tidbit memories from the OBH shows

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 01, 2014, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltravieso

I love how the waiters switched from trays of booze to trays of bottled water for the flaming lips night, that staff was so good to us.  Caballeros. 
Anytime your war gets out of hand, I'll take it on.

Rizzos Girl

Quote from: mtngurl on Feb 05, 2014, 09:06 PM
ms. yvon letting me butt in the poster line with her  :smiley:
sitting early on the rail night one just so stoked to be there after a day at the pool. In JANUARY!
water aerobics with crazylove and pennylane.
crazy birds trying to get my fries!
fantastic massages, two in one day once.
Being a glutton and a drunk. Feeding the tapeworm in my belly.
Friends calling to us from their balcony or down the hall.
Trays of drinks constantly through the crowd.
Really could not have been much better. Still have a perma grin, even in the cold and snow.
What would have made it better was if more of my pals could have been there. You know who you are!

I'm going to change my forum name to chopped liver ... Ahem

In no particular order:
Seeing friends we haven't seen since RR, and loving you even more now!
Meeting friends I've only met online in person finally! And loving you even more now!
Meeting some really cool new people
Being on the rail for night one and sharing some eye with Jim & Tom
Dancing my ass off back towards the sound board and not giving a shit how I was looking all the other nights
Eating almost every meal with Mtn Man & Mtngrl and having a ton of fun with them in between

Whatever anyone says this was a special time at a special place and I feel blessed to have been able to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gluvmiller

Quote from: 63schoefflin on Feb 01, 2014, 01:47 PM
The drink service during the show was world class. I just remember double fisting for basically the entire first and second show. Never even had a chance to think about having to take a bathroom break.

I couldn't agree more. In fact I was on the rail the last night and there was a waiter that brought me vodka-pineapples all night long including up until the last song. He was awesome esp considering where I was. It wasn't an easy task for him to get to the front row as much as he did.

gluvmiller

1) First foremost, without question is all the new friends. I'm so excited for the future!

2) Night 1: My mother in law's enjoyment of Hungry Heart, Smokin' from Shootin' I just freakin LOVE, getting up front with my son for Wonderful (possibly my highlight of the whole week), Bobby coming out and killing it with the band esp the I Know You Rider followed by an awesome light saber battle with my son

3) Night 2: I don't know that I can pick out a single highlight, possibly the best night of music in my life. I still can't stop thinking of the Beats 4 U, probably what I'm most looking forward to going back and listening to with the eventual downloads. The whole 2nd set just blew my mind. And to see that Bobby stuck around for an additional day says so much. Jacket must feel so honored to have rock n roll royalty show them so much respect. I don't think this will be last we see of this collaboration.

4) Night 3: Again, mind blowing! Have they ever covered Harvest Moon before? That was special. Then O through Don't Do It I don't think my feet touched the ground. My favorite cover was easily All Night Long. After hearing that from New Years last year and then they announced Mexico and then announced the addition of PHJB, that cover was so high on my wish list.

5) Night 3: I absolutely love they left the stage without playing OBH only to come back. Maybe it was my huge buzz, but I remember standing there trying to digest the idea they didn't play it, but then they came out and THREW IT DOWN!

6) Partying with Wayne & Kliph from the Lips at the dance party and Wayne not knowing how to use a bullet

7) Big, big props and thanks to Ben, Mike, Tom & Johnny for their hospitality to me and my family with their room during the shows. Couldn't appreciate it more.

8) And saving the best for last, watching my kids dance (with me, with my wife, or just by themselves). I honestly almost cried the first night I was so happy.

APR

Quote from: KittyKy on Feb 05, 2014, 11:36 PM
Should have posted this here...

couple of random thoughts on OBH:
-who stole Bo's hat on night one? He looked like the guy who cooked our dinner at Zen :grin:
-was very surprised how much I missed the bears on stage. weird but true
-many have said it, Carl fucking light it up all week. love him and carried away
-merch gone after one day, lesson learned
-black metal, holy shit that was fun
-biggest buzz was The Lips/dance part, go figure.
-enjoyed the bobby tunes, that was different
-mclovin photo bombing us!
-who was the dude standing behind Patrick for the last couple of tunes on last night?
-so much fun, great people, awesome music. can't wait to do it again

The guy behind Patrick at the end of night three was Dave Givan, Jim's old friend and drummer from his solo tour.

A highlight for me when The Way That He Sings started on night 1..... everyone was ready!!

Derek713

The thing I will remember the most is the energy and passion for the music from all that atteneded. It was nice being surrounded by so many like minded people. Everyone I talked to was super friendly, and I look forward to many more destination shows in the future.

mtngurl

Quote from: Rizzos Girl on Feb 06, 2014, 01:15 AM

Quote from: mtngurl on Feb 05, 2014, 09:06 PM
ms. yvon letting me butt in the poster line with her  :smiley:
sitting early on the rail night one just so stoked to be there after a day at the pool. In JANUARY!
water aerobics with crazylove and pennylane.
crazy birds trying to get my fries!
fantastic massages, two in one day once.
Being a glutton and a drunk. Feeding the tapeworm in my belly.
Friends calling to us from their balcony or down the hall.
Trays of drinks constantly through the crowd.
Really could not have been much better. Still have a perma grin, even in the cold and snow.
What would have made it better was if more of my pals could have been there. You know who you are!

I'm going to change my forum name to chopped liver ... Ahem

In no particular order:
Seeing friends we haven't seen since RR, and loving you even more now!
Meeting friends I've only met online in person finally! And loving you even more now!
Meeting some really cool new people
Being on the rail for night one and sharing some eye with Jim & Tom
Dancing my ass off back towards the sound board and not giving a shit how I was looking all the other nights
Eating almost every meal with Mtn Man & Mtngrl and having a ton of fun with them in between

Whatever anyone says this was a special time at a special place and I feel blessed to have been able to go

Ha! r'sgirl, you were with me during all of this so I felt like we were one and the same :kiss: love you girl!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

ms. yvon

-dancing and singing with rizzo's girl to talking heads' "naive melody" next to the pool.  an absolute snapshot of happiness!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Rizzos Girl

Quote from: ms. yvon on Feb 08, 2014, 03:26 AM
-dancing and singing with rizzo's girl to talking heads' "naive melody" next to the pool.  an absolute snapshot of happiness!

Ms Y that was pretty special!

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: gluvmiller on Feb 06, 2014, 08:52 AM
1) First foremost, without question is all the new friends. I'm so excited for the future!

2) Night 1: My mother in law's enjoyment of Hungry Heart, Smokin' from Shootin' I just freakin LOVE, getting up front with my son for Wonderful (possibly my highlight of the whole week), Bobby coming out and killing it with the band esp the I Know You Rider followed by an awesome light saber battle with my son

3) Night 2: I don't know that I can pick out a single highlight, possibly the best night of music in my life. I still can't stop thinking of the Beats 4 U, probably what I'm most looking forward to going back and listening to with the eventual downloads. The whole 2nd set just blew my mind. And to see that Bobby stuck around for an additional day says so much. Jacket must feel so honored to have rock n roll royalty show them so much respect. I don't think this will be last we see of this collaboration.

4) Night 3: Again, mind blowing! Have they ever covered Harvest Moon before? That was special. Then O through Don't Do It I don't think my feet touched the ground. My favorite cover was easily All Night Long. After hearing that from New Years last year and then they announced Mexico and then announced the addition of PHJB, that cover was so high on my wish list.

5) Night 3: I absolutely love they left the stage without playing OBH only to come back. Maybe it was my huge buzz, but I remember standing there trying to digest the idea they didn't play it, but then they came out and THREW IT DOWN!

6) Partying with Wayne & Kliph from the Lips at the dance party and Wayne not knowing how to use a bullet

7) Big, big props and thanks to Ben, Mike, Tom & Johnny for their hospitality to me and my family with their room during the shows. Couldn't appreciate it more.

8) And saving the best for last, watching my kids dance (with me, with my wife, or just by themselves). I honestly almost cried the first night I was so happy.

Nice highlights. They played Harvest Moon with Neil in October at Bridge School, it was pretty sweet.

Ltravieso

Proposed atop the Mayan temple in Coba!!!
:beer:

Gina

Gina

Now that I have the soundboard downloads - I am loving the banter between songs. 

Also, I have to admit after some considerable reflection, that this was a magical time in my life.  There was a vibe in the air - indescribable really.  It was special and nothing I have ever experienced at any other concert I have attended.  Everyone was so cool and felt like family, though I knew only one person there.  I loved the passionate exuberance displayed by everyone for the band and they way the band fed off of that and totally kicked ass on stage.  This was truly an amazing adventure.  Can't wait to do it again!  :thumbsup:

APR

Quote from: Ltravieso on Mar 03, 2014, 02:07 PM
Proposed atop the Mayan temple in Coba!!!
:beer:

That's more than a tidbit memory.  Congrats!

Ltravieso

Giving WilliamW (the banana) the banana that jim threw for him.

sillyboob

Quote from: Gina on Mar 08, 2014, 07:04 PMNow that I have the soundboard downloads - I am loving the banter between songs. 

Also, I have to admit after some considerable reflection, that this was a magical time in my life.  There was a vibe in the air - indescribable really.  It was special and nothing I have ever experienced at any other concert I have attended.  Everyone was so cool and felt like family, though I knew only one person there.  I loved the passionate exuberance displayed by everyone for the band and they way the band fed off of that and totally kicked ass on stage.  This was truly an amazing adventure.  Can't wait to do it again!  :thumbsup:

You so nailed the feeling of being at One Big Holiday, especially that first time. 

Can't wait to go again in a few months!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

mdgsolo

Quote from: consigliare on Feb 01, 2014, 05:03 PMStanding there drinking a beer a beer on day 1 near the stairwell of building 6, turning around and seeing them roll up and get off a golf cart, greeting them as they passed, and watching them go up the stairwell to the green room - which I now discovered was essentially next to ours ... then, randomly passing and greeting them in the stairwell at various times when going to/from our room  :beer:

I had the exact same experience.  Basically followed them down the stairs to the stage..