[DVD9] MMJ - April 28, 2010 - Charleston, SC

Started by baustin, May 04, 2010, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteI have a couple of tech questions. I am running a Macbook pro w/ Leopard as my operating system...perhaps someone who is in a similar boat can explain this to me.

I had a successful download of the files last night...and after downloading a software to read VOB files I was able to watch them all from my computer. Check off step 1.

I then headed out and grabbed some blanks. 4.7gb 120 min. I am assuming standard DVDR's.

This being my first attempt at burning DVD's. I am not sure if the mac is set up with software to burn DVD's. I couldnt figure out iDVD. So I downloaded a free DVD burning software called Burn for the mac.

Anyhow...I can get the files to load...but it will only recognize the .VOB files from the folders and not the other stuff in each file (.IFO, .BUP).

So I loaded up just the VOB files 1-5 from the disc 1 folder...and the last one would not check out. Then I tried burning the 1st 4 files...and it worked. It doesnt load automatically on my DVD player (4 year old samsung), but if you hit next chapter on the remote it loads up...with the intro screen and all that you see in the beginning...but none of the selection features work.

Anyhow...since I only burned the 1st 4 files...I tried to burn the last file on its own disc...but its no dice...reads error. The same thing happened when I went to do disc 2. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Looking at the file size of each folder though...maybe the file size is greater than the disc space...maybe that is my problem.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

You might wanna read some of the stuff above.  I'm not so much of a Mac guy but I guess it's meant to be burned on DVD9/DL discs.  Good luck man.  I'm still downloading mine. :'(
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

eleaf14

thanks man. i am going to go grab some of those and give it a shot.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteDo I have to burn the file to watch it? Can't seem to get it to work...Anyways, I'm going to ship some blank DVD's down to you Johnny. Thanks for putting that offer out there.

If you've downloaded the file via torrent, you should be able to watch it using Windows Media Player, right from the hard drive.   Baustin put chapter breaks between each song and WMP doesn't let you jump between chapters, but the burned DVD does.  

This is a great program for watching almost any type of video file:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

plus it's free.

eleaf14

so im still having issues with the program i downloaded, "burn". i now have the correct media (dual layer dvd+r), but still running into those files reading in error. any suggestions on a software for a mac that is free and could handle this. or is there a way to convert these files for them to be recognized by idvd with no loss of quality?

johnnYYac

For those new to the DVD burning game, here are a few things that might help.

1. Click here to download and install utorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/

2. Click on this link to the Charleston show DVD torrent file: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77139&d=1273016643

3. When dialog box opens, click OPEN

4.  utorrent will automatically start the slow download.  Don't shut down your computer until its finished.  Give it overnight.  The file will end up in your DOWNLOADS folder unless you change the destination first.

5.  Open a DVD burning software.  

Nero is good but expensive ($80): http://www.nero.com/enu/store-nero10.html  

I just bought DVD Cloner 7 for $40: http://www.hermanstreet.com/store/smarthtml/dvd-cloner-7-t20.html?&ICID=AB-DVD%20Cloner%202009-12-14%20t20&mboxSession=1273191973746-742746

Easy DVD Clone is free for 7 days: http://download.cnet.com/Easy-DVD-Clone/3000-7970_4-10416957.html

6. When choosing the files to burn (software might say "add"), browse to the folder you downloaded via utorrent.  It should read "mmj2010-04-28.dvdf".  Open it.  

7. Then open the file that reads "mmj2010-04-28_part01.dvd9f".

8. Choose the folder, which should read "VIDEO_TS".  Don't open this folder or try to add the files individually.  Just add the entire VIDEO_TS folder.

9. Be sure to have a DVD+R or DVD-R Dual Layer blank disc in your DVD-RW drive.

10.  Check to see if your burning software requires any additional steps (naming the disc, choosing transfer mode such as hard drive to DVD9, etc.).

11.  When all looks good, check again.  Don't be afraid to hit the BACK button to be sure your ducks are in a row.

12.  Press the BURN button.  Be patient.  Expect 10-30 minutes.  When done, toss the disc in your favorite DVD player, fingers crossed, and HOPEFULLY, you'll melt yo face!

13. Repeat steps 7-12, this time opening the file that reads "mmj2010-04-28_part02.dvd9f".

13.  Don't forget to thank baustin.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

eleaf14

Thanks for putting that list together. Very helpful (notably drawing attention to step 8). Finally got it to go!

Big Ups to baustin for some serious efforts!

jack_ass

baustin you are the SHIZZ! thanks so much

coldnebraskablue

Thanks so much for this from the UK, it is a thing of rare and natural beauty  :D

TheBri-Man

Any way to get MP3's of this show from the video?  I'd love to have a HQ recording...it was such a great show.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I have only watched about half of this so far and I must say Bo is pretty f'in awesome on What a Wonderful Man.  He looks like he loves playin that song.  rightly so, it's one of the few songs where he's on just straight piano.  the video gave me a new appreciation for the song.

the crowd however seems pretty stagnant with the exception of up front.  I get the video was done at the back of the venue but there are so many people who just continuously talk.  the visual of them talking is distracting, we need to pass out "Shut up" signs at shows.

johnnYYac

I must say, I paused this DVD long enough to go upstairs and type this post.  At the end of Lay Low, Jim becomes possessed by the soul of Jimmy Page, which is odd as Page isn't dead, so I guess he was just borrowing it.  AWESOME!

Yeah, the audience, particularly from this perspective, is pretty tame.  I'm kind of glad so I can focus on the stage and not all the bee-bopping that should be going down.  But if I was there, I'd be like "what the fuck people, wake up and jump!"  At least there aren't any glowsticks.

Can't wait for my new discs to arrive so I can finally burn the second DVD.  It opens with Steam Engine, so I must see this!  

Baustin, I'm going to design a DVD label and box insert.  I'd like your approval before I share it, so I'll be PMing you soon.  Thanks for this.

EasyRyder

I like the sign idea. I don't know if this is the right way to think about things, but I'm kind of hoping that mmj fans gain a reputation for having a pleasantly cordial demeanor and a hard edge no bull-shit policy when it comes to people standing between them and the music. I would love for it to become as connected as the deadhead community, and also as dedicated (i think it's getting there!). I know from experience that anyone talking during Stella Blue or So Many Roads received some kind of verbal, if not physical, reprimand.
As the jacket fan base gets bigger, it seems more apparent than ever that the people who really care about the music need to protect the atmosphere...
P.S. i counted 6.5 frat-embraces before the set started on the this vid.  :-*
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI like the sign idea. I don't know if this is the right way to think about things, but I'm kind of hoping that mmj fans gain a reputation for having a pleasantly cordial demeanor and a hard edge no bull-shit policy when it comes to people standing between them and the music. I would love for it to become as connected as the deadhead community, and also as dedicated (i think it's getting there!). I know from experience that anyone talking during Stella Blue or So Many Roads received some kind of verbal, if not physical, reprimand.
As the jacket fan base gets bigger, it seems more apparent than ever that the people who really care about the music need to protect the atmosphere...
P.S. i counted 6.5 frat-embraces before the set started on the this vid.  :-*

definitely looked like some heavy bromance action going down back of the crowd.  that classic hand slap/lock->half hug->extended hug->take drink of beer->laugh->talk during tonight/at dawn->turn completely away from the stage as if you're not at a concert->run into other bro and repeat process until something a.) rocking and b.) popular is played.etc.  

It would have been cool to see one of those dudes get hit in the nuts by somebody walking by or enjoying the show.  I'd condone and back any and all efforts to nut punch talking dbags at shows.  

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI must say, I paused this DVD long enough to go upstairs and type this post.  At the end of Lay Low, Jim becomes possessed by the soul of Jimmy Page, which is odd as Page isn't dead, so I guess he was just borrowing it.  AWESOME!

Yeah, the audience, particularly from this perspective, is pretty tame.  I'm kind of glad so I can focus on the stage and not all the bee-bopping that should be going down.  But if I was there, I'd be like "what the fuck people, wake up and jump!"  At least there aren't any glowsticks.

Can't wait for my new discs to arrive so I can finally burn the second DVD.  It opens with Steam Engine, so I must see this!  

Baustin, I'm going to design a DVD label and box insert.  I'd like your approval before I share it, so I'll be PMing you soon.  Thanks for this.

that lay low was sick indeed.  what jim played wasn't even necessarily "good" it was simply awesome.  lost in the zone.  I really like how he teases the audience on touch me pt. 1 with the cape.  he'll walk towards them and get almost close enough for them to touch him and then he spins away and hides.  make those ladies beg for that shit.  those cross stage spins while soloing are at a new level this tour as well.

SaraBananaBear

QuoteI must say, I paused this DVD long enough to go upstairs and type this post.  At the end of Lay Low, Jim becomes possessed by the soul of Jimmy Page, which is odd as Page isn't dead, so I guess he was just borrowing it.  AWESOME!

Yeah, the audience, particularly from this perspective, is pretty tame.  I'm kind of glad so I can focus on the stage and not all the bee-bopping that should be going down.  But if I was there, I'd be like "what the fuck people, wake up and jump!"  [highlight]At least there aren't any glowsticks[/highlight].

My friend and I saw several glow sticks (or at least it looks like glow sticks) being thrown when we watched it >:(
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Erik26

Can any of you 'seed' the show again? My brother is trying to download it (he has a DL burner) for me and there is only 1 seed. thanks guys.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

todd

I see 51 seeders.  Are you sure he's got the right torrent?

johnnYYac

Yeah, the audience, particularly from this perspective, is pretty tame.  I'm kind of glad so I can focus on the stage and not all the bee-bopping that should be going down.  But if I was there, I'd be like "what the fuck people, wake up and jump!"  [highlight]At least there aren't any glowsticks[/highlight].

My friend and I saw several glow sticks (or at least it looks like glow sticks) being thrown when we watched it >:(

Well, I've only watched the first DVD (ran out of DL discs), but it seemed mild compared to the Glowstick Riots in Nashville.

(note intentional exaggeration)

Erik26

OK, I'm unsure of what happened during the burning process. I can't get anything to recognize the disc. My brother burnt it in a Mac and that Mac is the only player that says it is a DVD. Any advice on burning this successfully?
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

johnnYYac

QuoteOK, I'm unsure of what happened during the burning process. I can't get anything to recognize the disc. My brother burnt it in a Mac and that Mac is the only player that says it is a DVD. Any advice on burning this successfully?

The size of this video requires 2 Dual Layer DVDs.  You can get DVD-R or DVD+R Dual Layer discs.  In some DVD players, DVD-R is recognized, but DVD+R is not.  Also, some DVD players don't recognize Dual Layer discs.  Before you try anything else, look at your DVD player's manual for what disc formats are supported.

The fact that a Mac is involved might also be an issue.  I honestly don't know anything about 'em.  

Some software will let you compress large DVD files onto standard (single layer) DVDs.  Picture quality will suffer, however.

If you're still having trouble, PM or email me.