Roll Call - Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville - 6/24/2022

Started by ranyart, Feb 17, 2022, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Any horse racing fans out there?

I'm coming into town Thursday and finally going to get a chance to get to Churchill Downs as they're having Twilight racing on Thursday night. First race is at 5:00 PM.

Missed out on getting there my last couple of times in Louisville and lucked out with the Twilight card this time. Definitely going over for a couple of races.
"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

wanted to bump this to the current page. If anyone needs to Iroquois tix, hit me up.

also...super excited for next weekend!

Quote from: walterfredo on Jun 14, 2022, 09:19 PManybody on here still in need of Iroquois tix?

slappymoe

Quote from: ericm on Jun 14, 2022, 10:44 PMAny horse racing fans out there?

I'm coming into town Thursday and finally going to get a chance to get to Churchill Downs as they're having Twilight racing on Thursday night. First race is at 5:00 PM.

Missed out on getting there my last couple of times in Louisville and lucked out with the Twilight card this time. Definitely going over for a couple of races.
grew up a couple blocks from churchill downs, we'd sneak in and run around the track when we were kids.  but i never had much interest in going to the races.  gambling just isn't my thing.

but friends have told me the night racing is a blast.  fantastic time, great people-watching. have fun!

ranyart

Get ready for some heat!  We've had temps in the 90s in this part of the world so far with a high dew point of 80 (yuck), and I'm hearing we might hit close to 100 F next week.  We had a huge storm roll through the Cincinnati area recently so let's all hope the rain holds off above all else.  See you in Louisville!

walterfredo

slappymoe

weather underground forecast:

thursday 98
friday   97
saturday 97

yikes. that's just a shame.  hope they're wrong.  like, 10 degrees wrong.

ericm

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 15, 2022, 03:22 PM

grew up a couple blocks from churchill downs, we'd sneak in and run around the track when we were kids.  but i never had much interest in going to the races.  gambling just isn't my thing.

but friends have told me the night racing is a blast.  fantastic time, great people-watching. have fun!

Thanks moe. I've been a horse racing fan since I was a kid and always wanted to go there so the Twilight card really worked out for me. Bummed to have missed out the last couple of times I came to town.

I'm not big on gambling either but I like to bet on a few races now and then. Probably get there a little early to check out as much as possible and then stay for maybe three races.
"Where's Jim going?"

Mr. White

Quote from: ericm on Jun 15, 2022, 07:33 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 15, 2022, 03:22 PM

Thanks moe. I've been a horse racing fan since I was a kid and always wanted to go there so the Twilight card really worked out for me. Bummed to have missed out the last couple of times I came to town.

I'm not big on gambling either but I like to bet on a few races now and then. Probably get there a little early to check out as much as possible and then stay for maybe three races.

You should try to check out the Kentucky Derby Museum there at Churchill Downes. It closes at 5 p.m., so I'm not sure it will work out with your plans or not. It's really cool. I went in 2007 and again in 2014. Each year, they update the video to highlight the previous year's Kentucky Derby winner. It's a 360 degree oval multi-screen experience.

https://www.derbymuseum.org/
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

Hopefully the temps cool down before 2 nights outside next weekend

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 16, 2022, 07:13 AMHopefully the temps cool down before 2 nights outside next weekend

Indeed. I just saw where racing was canceled at CD due to excessive heat  :shocked:

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: MMJCOBRA on Jun 16, 2022, 03:30 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 16, 2022, 07:13 AMHopefully the temps cool down before 2 nights outside next weekend

Indeed. I just saw where racing was canceled at CD due to excessive heat  :shocked:

Yeah, I saw on the news this morning. Too dangerous for the horses and jockeys.

It's a shame but we will have to find a way to suffer through two nights of live MMJ. 🙃

walterfredo

wow! It's gonna be sweaty! Yikes.

If anyone needs or knows anyone who needs 2 tix to Iroquois, hit me up. Gonna toss em up on CoT tomorrow. Tried to offer them up on the MMJ FB fan group page, but apparently my FB account looks too shady and must have thought I was trying to scam peeps, and I seem to have been booted off the group. Too funny. Only use the account for music and beer groups, never really post a thing, and don't socialize on it. So much for trying to hook up some actual fans!  :grin:

Yeryl

Quote from: walterfredo on Jun 16, 2022, 09:17 PMwow! It's gonna be sweaty! Yikes.

If anyone needs or knows anyone who needs 2 tix to Iroquois, hit me up. Gonna toss em up on CoT tomorrow. Tried to offer them up on the MMJ FB fan group page, but apparently my FB account looks too shady and must have thought I was trying to scam peeps, and I seem to have been booted off the group. Too funny. Only use the account for music and beer groups, never really post a thing, and don't socialize on it. So much for trying to hook up some actual fans!  :grin:
Oh no!  Isn't Jeff Clark in this group??? He manages the FB group. 
Can't you see that I'm smiling?

slappymoe

saw trey anastasio at the amphitheater last night. caught a break with the weather, very nice evening.   great show.  watching the deliriously happy phish fans (and one dude who was tripping balls) was almost as entertaining as the music.

first time i've seen them park cars waaaay out on the frisbee golf course.  not a fan. uneven ground, my civic bottomed out a couple times. we were late arriving and ended up parking pretty far back, which meant being pinned in forever trying to get out.

being on the east side of iroquois hill, the entire amphitheater (save one stubborn shaft of sunlight left of stage) is in the shade by 7:30. that should make friday's show a bit more bearable. 

Mr. White

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 18, 2022, 10:05 AMsaw trey anastasio at the amphitheater last night. caught a break with the weather, very nice evening.  great show.  watching the deliriously happy phish fans (and one dude who was tripping balls) was almost as entertaining as the music.

first time i've seen them park cars waaaay out on the frisbee golf course.  not a fan. uneven ground, my civic bottomed out a couple times. we were late arriving and ended up parking pretty far back, which meant being pinned in forever trying to get out.

being on the east side of iroquois hill, the entire amphitheater (save one stubborn shaft of sunlight left of stage) is in the shade by 7:30. that should make friday's show a bit more bearable. 

I was there too last night, slappymoe! My seat was right beside the front edge of the soundboard platform. I stayed there for the first hour and then moved up to the very top where there were lots of empty seats. I took one video of a short song from my original seat and about 36 minutes of the last part of the show from the very top. If anyone wants to watch those, I zoom out a few times to show what the seating looks like and the general layout of the place.

Trey Anastasio - Solo Acoustic - Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville - 6/17/2022

Trey Anastasio - Solo Acoustic (End of Main Set) - Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville - 6/17/2022

Trey Anastasio - Solo Acoustic (Encore) - Iroquois Amphitheater - Louisville - 6/17/2022

Roo06

Anyone have any info on when doors might open? Thinking 5:00 with a 6:00 start time for the openers. Curious if there are 2 separate openers playing?

LBSUNFLWR

I was at Iroquois for Trey also.

Based on the lines for drinks, etc I thought the show was sold out. When I saw later how many empty seats were there I was shocked. They are going to be in for it Friday night.

Moral of this story, get there early!!

midwesterner

Mr. White

Quote from: midwesterner on Jun 19, 2022, 08:14 PMSo the entire venue is seats? But it is GA?

Correct

It's up to the artist or band whether or not they want it to be General Admission. MMJ did this for both Iroquois Amphitheater shows back in May of 2016. I went both nights with a couple of family members for both shows and got in early with Roll Call membership after having stood in line for a long time (different line for Roll Call). We were on the 3rd row for both shows (not counting the standing room only cluster of PIT folks who were standing up against the Rail in front of the seats). Most artists use the assigned seating option, from most all of my other Iroquois Amphitheater show experiences, but not all.

Here's a bunch of pictures from those two shows plus a few others from different bands and some with nobody in the seats that I found on the Interweb. Most of the pictures are ones I took or ones my brother took.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114239529@N08/albums/72177720297270625

slappymoe

Gonna be a tough decision.  How badly does one want to be up close?  I suspect that will require getting there very early and standing in line in the blazing sun for quite a while.

Anything under the roof is a great seat, imo. I'm sure my group will be there in time to score covered seats.