Roll Call - Orpheum Theater, Memphis, TN 4/19/22

Started by ItsAllSticky, Feb 21, 2022, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsAllSticky

So I came to log into the forum for the first time in 10 years, and my name was not in the system...which means I made a new account with my old name! Pretty sweet they left it for me. I'm flying solo to this one so hit me up if you want a friend.

Pineapple

1. ItsAllSticky
2. Pineapple + Mrs Pineapple
If you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me?

Mbayzer

3. Me + 1 and a bunch of friends spread out. Time to party!

MMJTX

Anytime

WeBackUp

jimmyE

Nice start to the Spring Tour!

I know there's not as much activity on the forum these days, but I have a soft spot in my heart for this place! I hope we get more updates here as the tour continues.

ranyart

Good find parkervb!  Definitely a good show  :beer:

parkervb

Quote from: ranyart on Apr 20, 2022, 05:55 PMGood find parkervb!  Definitely a good show  :beer:

if you're on the Bird, @mrcoesquandolas is a great follow for music
Don't you ever turn it off

Mbayzer

Quote from: MamaKel on Apr 20, 2022, 09:00 PMHey everyone.

The show is already up on archive.org thanks to RowJimmy78, who did the Alabama Theater tape, as well.

Orpheum Memphis 4/19/22

The YouTube account Concert Vids also has a bunch posted from last night;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LbPNmJcuwM
Off the Record -->Touch Me

Some show highlights:

***The "Memphis Jam" at the end of "Wonderful". Jim was in a mood to some of his famous caterwaul-y mouth noises which led into a jam of "Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City" by Bobby Blue Bland, Elvis' "That's Alright Mama", "Blue Moon of Kentucky", and "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On".  I think that some of the most transcendent vocal performances of the last couple of tours have come when Jim covers a song within a Jacket song. A couple versions off the top of my head include the version of Touch Me Pt. 2 that interludes "The Bear" and the early October, 2021 show that had "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" in the middle of "PWW". He doesn't overuse the technique, but it is always effective and compelling when he does. In the same way that giving Bo a prelude or an outro gives a whole new meaning to a song.  It changes the whole landscape and meaning of the song. I truly think that his opening to "Mercy, Mercy Me", overlooking the New York skyline, was one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard, and it elevated the song to another level. He did a beautiful solo piece last night, but I cannot remember where it took place right now because I am tired and have a melted brain.

***Guitar solo at the end of Wordless. It got the whole first row pregant. Jaw dropped. The lady next to me began sucking face with her man. It was hot.

***That Dondante was something. It had a palpable density. Even the jam before "you had me worried" had a staccato immediacy that sounded like the busy signal on a telephone. But then it mashed into this psycho-disco jam, and Carl literally floated into space in a transcendent cloud of saxophone.

Tom and Pat held it down so hard. They were laughing, and all the guys were just jovial and familial, and it was such a nice thing to see them play. It had been years. But well worth the wait, as always.
:drum:
I was in the front, and can confirm I got preggers from the Wordless Chorus guitar solo. My jaw dropped and your description of the show was super accurate. I'd like to add the Mahgeetah ending jam from OBH is the bees knees and I thought the Memphis show was the most jamming show since Red Rocks 2019. So happy to have been there with my friends. Brought two people to their first ever MMJ shows as well. The power of the band is unlimited.

parkervb

thats an excellent tape. Some mild chatter, but whhooo boy does In Color go hard af. That and Wasted b2b is just a jamfest.
Don't you ever turn it off