First Single?

Started by johnconaway, May 31, 2003, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Okay, so the new record is coming soon.  What do you folks think will be the first single?

Dance Floors?
Magheeta?
Steam Engine?

Thoughts anyone?  I'm going with Dance Floors...that track kicks ass.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

marktwain

Dance Floors is a likely and worthy choice. But what abt One Big Holiday?

RyanCorpse

Steam engine is my Pick.

Oz

Steam Engine is the one. If they don´t break with that one, they´ll never.
I'm ready when you are

Okay, you guys got me diggin' that tune again... ::)

otter

Steam Engine is as cool a song as they have...however, I think it's too complex and long for the general public..

of the five or six versions available so far, i think 5+ minutes is the shortest version, with 7-10 min. average during the live shows..

One Big Holiday is my pick. for first out..although, out of the 8 new songs that I have a copy of.... There'e Just One Thing, I Can't Wait, and Steam Engine are my favorites so far. With Magheeta and One Big Holiday coming in close..

This new album, pardon my age, cd is going to be something else. Have everybody we know ready to buy it...let's help em' make it people.

otter

let me clarify quickly...by general public I meant MTV and VH1..as they will be playing what they think the general public will want...If it were up to us, I realize that they would already be multi-platinum.

Alex Nagle

It might be a little presumptuous to think there will be a single at all.  Were any of the songs from any of the other albums released as singles?  Or do you think there will be a single because they're on ATO now?  What would have been the single from At Dawn?  Lowdown, I guess.  On a similar note (so to speak), I agree with whoever said Dance Floor will be the first single.  It's fun and it's catchy, but even then I wouldn't imagine you'd hear the song beyond whatever station calls themselves "The River" in your town.  Singles are deceptive anyway.  Do the Flaming Lips sound like "She Don't Use Jelly?"  Do The Pixies sound like "Here Comes Your Man?"  Do Pavement sound like "Cut Your Hair?"  

Well, what I mean by my comments is that (crosses fingers) perhaps a single will be released.  I see no reason why not-exposure is key, so why not release a single (I use that term so loosely) to the radio stations and see what happens?  Sure, the songs are longer than "traditional" singles but what does that mean anymore, what with the rise of public radio stations that play a mix of singles and AOR?

Anything that exposes the masses to the glory of the Jacket is worthy of a look see, IMHO.  Whether they "get it" like we do or not remains to be seen.  (crosses fingers again)  I think they will-everyone I've turned on to the Jacket certainly has!

lfish

For the moment I'm downloading dance floors. As most of you people think dancefloor is the lucky one, well let's do a non-scientific test. I never heard it so it should be the ideal test to check if the song lies in the ear. Btw, try to see me as an unprejudiced person, hmm (damn I love the  jacket). Well it's downloaded... , just hit the play key, ..... exciting, sounds good, rock'n roll, catching, good vibe,  yep, definitey, that wil be the one. Especially when you take into consideration the length of the other songs.  Those aren't airplayfriendly. But I do have to admit that steam engine is also a good running-mate.
lfish

Alex Neagle

How is that everyone is downloading new Jacket but me?  Trust me, people, I have SCOURED the internet.  How do I keep missing it?

marktwain

Johnconaway's collecting live shows on his server.  All the new songs I have on disc were downloaded from that.  E-mail him if you want in on the good stuff.  

dthomas

Steam Engine is my favorite right now.  I noticed today that I find myself singing "There's just one thing", kinda just comes out from the subconscience.  Nice tune to get stuck into your head.

bad bad leroy brown

Its not my favorite, but I would say that Magheeta has a certain pop aspect that would indeed have a positive influence upon the general public.

*wonders why he becomes so unnessisarily articulate whilst drinking*

lfish

For the last two weeks, I constantly listened to the jacket and the more I listened, the more I got the feeling no single will (or can't) be released.  Their music is just to complicated to be played to the broad public. I think, we guys, who are constantly living, yes even breathing the jacket, are a little bit prejudiced and we really want a breakthrough for the jacket, but let's get realistic.  Maybe there's one song of them that once could have been a small hit but which did not turn out that way.  Even here in Belgium it stood for three weeks in an alternative chart, but then it just dissapeared and it remained unnoticed.  This song was "O is the one that is real". And I think it is even more catching than steam engine or dance floors or any other song they did make.  And dance floors is a good song, but not so good as O is the one is real (speaking in terms of single).  But, maybe there's still a chance for a single because we don't know yet all the songs wich will be put on the new cd.  But hey, even if there's no single at all, I think that's not a shame.  Look at Tom Waits, he never had a real single and still, his music is fantastic.  And if the jacket can make a third splendid album, well they got at least one person (who will definitely buy their new cd)happy, single or no single.  
lfish

Steve

Hey all, I'm rather new here but have been turned onto the jacket for about a little over a year now. I have to agree with most of the people here that I think that the first "single" would be Dance Floors, it's solid to the point and could be edited to under 5 minutes. That being said, I am not sure how radio friendly the band is in general. With most radio being conglomerates now, Clear Channel etc., they are pretty formulaic. Although I would not be surprised at all to hear them in solid rotation at stations like KFOG in San Francisco, KBCO in Boulder, or XRT in Chicago. Trut me I would love to hear them in the car but corporate radio sucks...

Steve

Oz

Well, single or not, I heard there is a studio version of Mahgeeta flying around somewhere... Isn´t there anyone who can get his hands on that and put it on the ftp-server?
I'm ready when you are

philip newton

I am sure it will be One Big Holiday!

NME Magazine here in the uk have it in their most played list which means that they have an early release which there are giving heavy listening they also said that based on this song alone it was a good reason to see them at glastonbury, it has to be that song!!!

ben

got a chance to hear about half of the new album on a promo cd, and one big holiday sounds fantastic! don't know how long it is, but if it is under 4 minutes it should be a no-brainer. ben kweller had a single off his debut ato release, so i would imagine that the jacket would.