Main Menu

Dancefloors

Started by Tooth, Aug 28, 2003, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tooth

I just heard Dancefloors for the first time (on the radio) and I must say that I'm "miffed".

Does the horn part at the end of the song freak anyone else out?  I couldn't help having this weird feeling that I was listening to a cheesy Lynard Skynard song.

Hopefully it will sound more natural in the context of the album as a whole?

Sal Paradise

Actually yeah, the first time I heard it I was a little freaked out too. But when I heard it a second time I was like Wait A Minute! This is pretty cool! Kinda like a 70s Elvis Vegas show climax!  ;D

The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

Matt Dowell

Tooth,  I know where you're coming from.  I had posted the other day that it was a very exciting moment for me to hear Dancefloors for the first time on the radio, but it was also bittersweet.  I don't care for the jamming at the end of it at all, and I hope it is not a trend.  I cringe at the Allman and Skynard comparisons, but I think your comparison was warranted.  The jamming is unremarkable and generic sounding.
That said, I love the first half of the song, the vocals and the accompaniment.  I love MMJ. At Dawn and Tennessee Fire are sacred to me.  However, it is with some trepidation that I await It Still Moves.

otter

These guys make a living on that kind of jamming at the end of their songs...I bet it'll grow on you..don't forget there are the live versions that don't have the guests with them... And that's more often how I'll hear them...Although I really dig how it's done for It Still Moves.

eric18966

I think the song is really good.  The jamming and horns just add a fresher element to the bands sound. You have to be open to change, it's the only way to survive in the music industry.  

hipkink

It's the Memphis Horns, right? I love it! And their jamming is different than other bands jamming. It's not like Skynyrd or the Allman's. There's no self-masturbatory soloing - instead, it's more of a groove-jam. I'm all for the groove jams. Try imagining Dance Floors without the horns, and I think you'll find that something would be missing without them...
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

Matt Dowell

I will try to be more open to the jamming...  :)  Maybe it's that I love Jim's voice so much that I'm sometimes disappointed when he stops singing.

Pinte

Just bought the record yesterday ... fantastic song!  ;D

peanut butter puddin surprise

Agreed.  I love Dancefloors!  

"there ain't nothing glowin' like the skin you're showin'"

"my blood is gasoline...."

And the jamming part is great fun...dear God, what is THAT going to sound like live?  Holy shite!  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

marktwain

I've just gotta say I dig the horns, and the whole ending to Dance Floors.  I don't think it's jamming just for the sake of jamming.  It's just good old Rock and Roll!

Other highlights (after the 1st couple of listens):
the guitar sound near the end of Mahgeetah
Jim's voice on One Big Holiday

marktwain

oh! and the drums (esp. the cymbals) on I will Sing You Songs.

burrito_brother

Who cares if they're jamming! Let them jam! :)  There is nothing wrong with Skynard or the Allmans...or the Dead for that matter.  What does mmj have in common with these bands?  Great American Rock-n-Roll Baby!

my_evening_jacket

I was a bit put off by the jammin' at the end of Dancefloors as well at first.  By the second time I listened to it I was hooked.  I think it captures thier live sound fairly well.
shake some action