Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

Dud of the Month

MY MORNING JACKET
It Still Moves
ATO
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0337/christgau.php
by Robert Christgau

It's touching to watch the latest indie-rock generation flail around in search of a form, spouting sincerely all the while. But it's also depressing. Like the emo guys, Louisville's Neil-ish Jim James has the advantage of normal feelings and ambition—he's not content to remain subcultural. He claims his Dave Matthews-sponsored major- label debut was his chance to make a true band record, and I guess his boys are trickier than Crazy Horse, just not in any way you haven't heard before. Then there's his filtered drawl, his straitened tune sense, his lyrics you feel cheated straining for, his 12 songs in 72 minutes. For what? For the horrible Memphis Horns coda of "Easy Morning Rebel," plodding on funklessly for two minutes after the vocal has gone the way of all reverb? C

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Michael Hotter

just christgau being christgau : )

I'll still be buying the record

m hotter

Tooth

I'm anxious for Pitchfork's review.  I know a lot of the writers there are big fans.

jacksoncooper

I've been looking for the review from Pitchfork as well.  I thought for sure they'd review it the day it came out.

wordawg

Excellent review in Kerrang.
Just keeping it balanced people!
the future is Ginger

burrito_brother

Critics...they are so...um...critical.  I just wish these people would stop with the Neil Young shit.  He's great..and I certainly do like him...but just stop. How about
"My Morning Jacket is a GREAT rock band." Hey now! That works pretty well! Jim James sounds like Jim James.  That is something to behold.

peanut butter puddin surprise

or even better, as Jeffrey Lee Puckett put it...My Morning Jacket sounds like, well...My Morning Jacket!

Fact is, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.  Of course there's going to be critics who don't get it, don't like it, or don't care for the sound.  Whoopee.

The critics who love this record are writing about it.  The ones who don't are also writing.  What matters the most, is that the fans love it, old, new, and ones yet to discover the multi-faceted astral plane that is MMJ's soundscapes.  I'd have to say the answer to that is that yes, the fans are rejoicing and they love it.

Feel the love.  Spread the joy.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Pete Adams

i dont give a hoot on what anyone saids about the new My Morning Jacket. Anyone who as been with them since the beginning will stay a true fan. I am still buying the album.
Pete

thebigbang

Quote What matters the most, is that the fans love it, old, new, and ones yet to discover the multi-faceted astral plane that is MMJ's soundscapes.

Speaking of Astral Planes, can I be the first to suggest that they share a great attribute with one of my favorite bands of all times, Modern Lovers.  Earnest and joyfilled performances, finding the real COOL that is life lived well and enjoyed, and shared with others.

Jonathon Richman, Donovan and Jim James are kindred spirits I believe, sent here to bring a little musical light into our lives. Some critics are much too serious and sulking to ever recognize these things.

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Oz

John, you're absolutely right. Everytime I read a bad review, I yawn and move along. If they don't get it, they don't get it. All I know is that lots of crap records get good reviews, and some good records get crap reviews. It's  the worst cliché ever, but everyone's entitled to their own... Nah, I'm not gonna use that one.  You get the idea. :)
I'm ready when you are

DD

Quotei dont give a hoot on what anyone saids about the new My Morning Jacket. Anyone who as been with them since the beginning will stay a true fan. I am still buying the album.
Pete

i dont know man, if they do the manbla theme album they might lose me.

i like how when i read the review this thread is about i thought it said, "nelly-ish".  i can see jim with a doo rag and bandaid.  hee hee
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails