Main Menu

New Album

Started by philip newton, Jul 04, 2003, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

Man, I just got a look at that cover art...I don't know. 'TF' and 'AD' had such beautiful art and this just looks like some hokey 70s cheese rock record. I'm sure that's not what it sounds like, but packaging, dammit, is important.

C.

Cooper

Why on fucking earth would anyone pay $76 for a cardboard-sleeved promo CD? MMJ are really great, but you can't wait a mere month to get the real record at a decent price? With not disrespect to the record, what a waste of money. Here's to hoping the person who wins this ridiculous bid one day realizes the power of financial management and good sense.

philip newton

The item seems to have been withdrawn from EBAY......

Just off topic slightly not heard much news from Glastonbury where they played a couple of weeks ago with REM etc. ??? CRACKING SHOW, which is what got me thinking about hearing the new album. any news or FTP sites etc would be cool. Thanks

PS Sorry for posting as a guest my login does not seem to be working I may have to register again.

yellowroadpriest

as I'm telling you boys that I'm guilty of downloading the album I recall the time i was searching for a few old toys up in the attic and came across my coming birthday present--optimus prime-leader of the autobots in his brand new box.  now some part of me had to know that these types of things aren't normal occurences but hey I ran downstairs to tell my mother of my wonderful discovery.  she was not pleased.  I'm hoping to avoid the same sort of reaction here.
     seriously though, I always pick up both the cd and  lp of my favorite bands (as recently with the american analog set) but that same love also drives me to go on a treasure hunt to hear the albums as soon as I possibly can.  
     I limit what I have to say about the new album to only a few lines--it is absolutely amazing.  the work that they put into it is self-evident.  remember when you got at dawn and your favorite songs kept changing the more you listened to it.  it still moves will most likely hit the lot of you the same way.  presently, the last four tracks rollin back, just one thing, steam engine, and one in the same I am unable to stop listening to.    

to the boys--thanks for all your hard work--quite simply an unforgetable album.  oh...and don't forget to come back to iowa city:D  

dusty

John Carswell

Hey y'all, I'd be happy with a tracklisting for the new album...anyone got that?

plank10

1. Mahgeetah
2. Dancefloors
3. Golden
4. Master Plan
5. One Big Holiday
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Easy Morning Rebel
8. Run Thru
9. Rollin Back
10. Just One Thing
11. Steam Engine
12. One In The Same

The album clocks in at 1 hour 11 minutes 43 seconds.

Oz

I'm really happy Just One Thing is on it. The live version that is on the FTP-server has been haunting me for months now. And let me say again, if I could download it now, I would, but then I'd still buy it in September. Just like all the fans that are going nuts while waiting, I think.
I'm ready when you are

hipkink

Yeah- I have to admit that I have a Promo copy of the album. It's incredible, and worth the wait. I will also be purchasing the vinyl AND the CD the day they come out. Let me tell you though - Sometimes I wish I hadn't gotten it early. It's a real bitch to not be able to talk about it with the board! I really, sincerely mean that. I also want you all to know that I would never even think about selling copies on Ebay! As a real fan, I wouldn't dream of doing anything detrimental (sp?) to the best band around. I can't wait for September 9th, when we all get to share in the glory of the new record together... until then...
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

philip newton

There is nothing wrong with owning an advance copy so long as it is an original and it is not sold or anything.

I have been offered an original from a local record store and I am tempted, as a collector of all MMJ stuff (Their full discography on From Nashville to Kentucky site) this would add to my collection and so would the cd and vinyl and any other release of the album (which I will stil buy).

I know that the record shop should not sell it and this in itself is a bad thing but I would sooner buy it from them and stop someone else getting hold of it who would try to sell it or but it out on the Internet.

I am still wondering if this is the right way to go...

susan_backner

Wouldn't it be great if the person bidding so much money on e-bay for the new album would just wait for it to come out.
If he or she is dead set on spending so much money, why not spend the same amount of money and buy multiple copies at the record store.  Why give all that money to an unauthorized vendor on e-bay when the money could be used to help the band.  I bought several copies of At Dawn when it came out.  MMJ makes such a lovely Christmas gift.

hipkink

Good Call!!! I don't know how many copies of At Dawn I bought! At least 4 or 5. And everyone I gave a copy to is forever indebted to me!! HA HA!
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

Danny Cash

Hey guys. I don't get on here much but I thought I'd say hi and thanks for the support. We're really excited about the new record and we can't wait to get out there and play all those new songs for you. It's so awesome that you all are so into what we're doing.

As far as selling promos, downloading, etc. goes ... It's cool that so many people like our stuff and are anxious to get it. But promos are sent out to radio people, promoters, writers, etc. in the trust that they won't sell, copy, or distribute them. It sucks when you can't trust people. But for us, it's not so much about trust or money or sales or whatever ... it's about the whole package and the event that goes with it.

I remember when the G-n'-fn'-R Use Your Illusion CDs came out, I had my Mom take me to the record store right after school to go buy them. They still sold CDs in those long cardboard cases. I ripped into them as soon as I got home, threw my headphones on, and started reading through the booklets as I listened. The liner notes, lyrics, and pictures were a pretty big part of the whole experience; not to mention the surprise of hearing a bunch of songs that I'd never heard before.

I think when you download or buy a promo or whatever, it kind of takes away from the whole experience. As the artwork guy for the band, I guess that stuff is pretty important to me. But that's totally up to you guys.

In closing, G-n'-R should have made one U.Y.I. record instead of two. Just put the good stuff in there like You Could Be Mine or anything Izzy Stradlin wrote. And get rid of that stupid techno song that Axl wrote. What a dumbass!

Zmog1974

With a surname like Cash  :Dyour pretty liberal about the whole downloading matter...I agree with you that there is nothing like getting the album on the day it comes out, with covers and artwork. This is all part of the music buying experience. I have taped your songs for around 20 of my friends now and they absolutely love the work you do ..which then makes them go to the record store and buy your albums,eps..I feel this is no different than having songs on them free cd's on the music magazines and believe me it has given MMJ a lot of exposure.. My friends have all snapped up your back catalogue and the gigs are like 20 guys on a mission, already to get our fixes..I just wonder what the future holds with the kids. Will they feel the same as we do or will cover art becoming a thing of the past. I bought my 8 year old daughter the new Good Charlotte (its a start in the right direction, her friends listen to rap-pop idol crap)album the other day to encourage her to buy cd's..and she is getting a good collection together..I could have easily of downloaded the album..but want to encourage her otherwise. I have around 3000 cd's and i love seeing them in my bookshelf, 15 years of collecting...i still think there will always be cd buyers , like alot of people still love buying vinyl. Well look on the plus side if the band need food and water on there tables and there not selling records...They'll just have to play more gigs...now that cant be a badthing can it.hahaha.If all else fails you can come and stay at my house...keep up the good work & see u soon.

Oz

Hey, Danny, we've been discussing this downloading-thing so long here, it's great to hear the opinion from a band member. Thanks a lot!  :)

I totally agree with you on the artwork, by the way. The MMJ discography definitely contains some of the finest record covers ever! I do however not agree on the GnR thing, but maybe we'll discuss that some other time...  ;)
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

I concur, and think that the live stuff being downloaded just encourages people to buy more.  I know it has for me!

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

plank10

One cd would have been so much better but if they had to include all the crap they could have bundled it into a two disc release.

Hey Danny
I was readin' in the LEO article that you put ethernet between the silo and the studio...

is there any lightning protection?  sometimes, when ethernet is put between buildings, there's the risk of conducting electricity if there is a lightning strike close by...which could cause equipment burnouts, not to mention being a risk to our favorite musicians of electrocution  ???

Just wonderin'.  

Danny Cash

Actually we wrapped the ethernet cable back up after the recordings were done. I never thought of that though. I guess it is a bad idea to have a conductive cable running from the aluminum top of a grain silo straight into our studio. I guess we're just lucky.

One funny note about using the silo for reverb: you could hear Jim's voice from a mile away. I bet it kept the cows up at night.

Wow, cool.  That is lucky.  I've had lightning ruin a lot of equipment over the years-the worst one was a business telephone system, 20K in value...poof!  Gone.  

A mile away?  Yeah, those cows weren't sleeping!  Talk about total reverb-you guys should put up mics at about the same distance away, so that the echo effect is even greater!  The cows mooing would also add a cool sound as well...very Floydian.

lfish

Maybe it would be interesting for scientist to do a survey on the impact of Jim james voice on the milk production of the louisvillian cows (or is it the"shelbyvillian" cows?).  I think it would give some funny results.  
lfish