Main Menu

New Album

Started by philip newton, Jul 04, 2003, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

That's funny!  I think I recall a story about some farm in England using Cher or Celine Dion or something to affect the cows' production of milk...

Surely Jim's voice would be more pleasurable than Cher's or Celine's...wait, did I just say that??  Damn straight!  It really is more pleasurable than Cher's or Celine's...but would it be to the cows?

Hmmmmmm........
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

hipkink

How cool would it be if you were out one night, and just off in the distance, you hear Jim's voice singin' some beautiful little melody? oooh.  
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

otter

I read each of the posts of this thread and there are a lot of really good thoughts on a relatively uneasy subject.

I don't make all that much money, so I can't buy every disc that I want to. However, I do buy the discs that I need to...such as It Still Moves. I will also spend money on tickets to an average of four shows per year...and tell all of my music worthy friends how kick ass this band is. And they will at a minimum go to shows with me...maybe buy records, but more importantly experience it and share with others to build it...they used to call it grass roots..anyway

\I felt a little guilt last night when I was on Kazaa and saw it..I couldn't help myself, but I did and deleted it less than 24 hours after having gotten it with no one having downloaded it from me. I like to think I had good Kharma recently and it was sent by a little MMJ angel. I promise I will buy it.

..and to the band..you guys already had my loyalty in my budget..I'll spend more money on you than most..less than some (due to my budget, otherwise I'd be on tour in a black tye-dye, do they make those..could you make one?) maybe)

One last note...I found it ironic in a way that as I was burning those songs to disc earlier and the song I put at the end of my 80 min disc as a fill was the radio edit off the ftp I Can't Wait..that disc was burning as I was reading this thread.

Oz

http://www.cokemachineglow.com/reviews/mymorningjacket_moves2003.html

Here's the (probably) first review of It Still Moves. It kinda confirms my doubts. Hmm...
I'm ready when you are

vhsorbeta

hello all you beautiful people...craig here from vhs or beta....just wanted to leave you all with a few thoughts about the whole filesharing thing.....

don't do it. lightning will strike you. the earth will open it's smoldering mouth and devour your greedy stealing body. your entire body will break out in a rash of burning hell and you will wish you had saved your precious few dollars and REALLY supported your favorite bands by anticipating and counting down every single day until that record is yours...all yours....every beautiful page of liner note, lyric, and artwork....every song will be heard as the band wanted you to hear it.....not encoded to MP3 where all the hihats sound like sizzling bacon....you will be able to feel the disc/record in your hand...your eyes will become part of the whole process of looking at the artwork and layout...and you will feel better about yourself as the whole process of band writes music, band records music, label releases music, person BUYS music, band gets to KEEP MAKING MUSIC will have just right in front of your eyes, come to fruition.....

hope i wasn't too offensive.....just wanted to share my opinion...

are you counting down the days till "IT STILL MOVES"?

i am, and i'll be first in line....

craig

Yo Craig
I totally dig where you're coming from.

I hope you don't think that downloadin' live MP3 tracks is a bad thing-'cause it ain't.  The fans are most appreciative, and as a whole, I'd bet dollars to donuts that those that download live stuff are 100 times more likely to purchase It Still Moves by the armload for their friends, neighbors, girlfriends, wives, boyfriends, etc.

Besides, the live stuff is free!  No money changes hands at all.  I'd be the first to pull the plug in a Louisville minute if I thought MMJ didn't like what was being traded.
That said, I am counting the days as well, and maybe I'll be right behind you in line.

Cheers,
john

P.S.  What's up with a new record from you guys?  'Cause I'm counting the days till that comes out as well!  ;D

vhsorbeta

i'm all for the trading of live shows...it builds an amazing sense of community...spread the good word!!!

i'm also not saying that the technology behind filesharing is to blame....it's just that simply.....music should not be free...and the programs that encourage filesharing let imply the sentiment that the information retrieved from usage of such programs should be considered free...

keep being excited about music as i know you are...

oh about our new record.....we're finishing the pre-recording phase....should be tracking in the fall....album out in the spring....i'm really excited about it!!!!

craig

Wow, cool!  I'm glad a new record is coming.  I hawk you guys to anyone who will listen (hello Riny?!) and hope for nothing but success for you.  

When someone from somewhere else asks about Louisville music, I mention you guys and MMJ in the same breath.  I feel so incredibly lucky to have both amazing bands here in my home city...which for so long seemed like it was teeming with Slint wannabees and hardcore bands I couldn't get into like y'all and MMJ.

Peace, my brother.  We will meet again soon!

Oz

Wow, I really should hear something from VHS or Beta. The only thing is, I can't find anything from you guys here in Holland, so I'd have to purchase something from you on the internet. But before I do that, I'd want to listen to some of your songs first. And the most handy way to do that would be to... download 2 or 3 of your songs and then decide wether I want to buy a CD. That's what I use the whole downloading thing for. I bought a bunch of CD's from bands I got into after downloading some MP3's. It's a nice way to check bands out. And then, if I really like them, I buy. But I never download an entire CD, 'cuz yes, if I want a CD, I want to have the artwork, I want to read all the liner notes and stuff (yeah, I wanna be able to know who the engineer is! I have no idea what an engineer does, or who he is, or whatever, but I wanna have that booklet that has that information, wether or not it helps me in any way!) and I want to hold the original in my hands. But I still think downloading is a great way to check out bands. So, Craig, what's your thought on this?
I'm ready when you are

Oz

Splendid news: I´m finally digging Mahgeeta. For the longest time I just couldn´t fall in love with that song, I liked it, but not as much as I wanted to, right up to this very morning. I was listening to a recording of the Paradiso show and damn, that song kicked my ass! It´s been ringing through my head the whole day now. Yes, that song truly rocks!  :)
I'm ready when you are

CC

that's splendid O! glad you're enjoying the discs :) my favourite moment from that night is Strangulation... just before the geetah

fakeplasticspivey

QuoteHey guys. I don't get on here much but I thought I'd say hi and thanks for the support. We're really excited about the new record and we can't wait to get out there and play all those new songs for you. It's so awesome that you all are so into what we're doing.

As far as selling promos, downloading, etc. goes ... It's cool that so many people like our stuff and are anxious to get it. But promos are sent out to radio people, promoters, writers, etc. in the trust that they won't sell, copy, or distribute them. It sucks when you can't trust people. But for us, it's not so much about trust or money or sales or whatever ... it's about the whole package and the event that goes with it.

I remember when the G-n'-fn'-R Use Your Illusion CDs came out, I had my Mom take me to the record store right after school to go buy them. They still sold CDs in those long cardboard cases. I ripped into them as soon as I got home, threw my headphones on, and started reading through the booklets as I listened. The liner notes, lyrics, and pictures were a pretty big part of the whole experience; not to mention the surprise of hearing a bunch of songs that I'd never heard before.

I think when you download or buy a promo or whatever, it kind of takes away from the whole experience. As the artwork guy for the band, I guess that stuff is pretty important to me. But that's totally up to you guys.

In closing, G-n'-R should have made one U.Y.I. record instead of two. Just put the good stuff in there like You Could Be Mine or anything Izzy Stradlin wrote. And get rid of that stupid techno song that Axl wrote. What a dumbass!

not to sound rediculous, but I've been thinking about this ever since Danny posted it--mostly because earlier that day I found a used copy on sale at a indy record store...  I was so shocked that I picked it up immediately (completely planning on buying a regular copy on the 9th).  Since that day when I bought it I listened to the album and didn't fully enjoy it.  I'm not sure if it was me or what Danny said or other factors... I just couldn't get into it.
At any rate I bought the album yesterday and listened to it first thing, reading the lyrics and liner notes etc, and it completely rocked my socks off!!  I love it so much (I keep Runthru on repeat) Its really true that the whole experience means so much more than the music alone, and I have never realized that before It Still Moves.
In closing, I wish that I had just waited like all the other good little kiddies, but I really feel that it taught me a lesson.  Man, that's cheezy--but true.
Danny and the band:  thank you so much, it is a beautiful record and I can't wait to grow with it.

I wish I was seeing y'all in Rochester or Buffalo but I can't make it.  Next time in NYC!!

hipkink

Wow! I totally understand! Same thing happened to me. Anyway - It Still Moves hasn't moved from my CD played for 6 days now.
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

dwight

FYI
Just saw the Billboards Top Twenty Five Heatseakers.
MMJ I.S.M.  #2  on the chart in its first week!!

Oz

QuoteFYI
Just saw the Billboards Top Twenty Five Heatseakers.
MMJ I.S.M.  #2  on the chart in its first week!!

Alright! My faith in society is back! :)
I'm ready when you are

Oz

Okay, just some info that none of you might be interested in, but It still moves is fucking great music to listen to when you're in love... I am, as you might guess, and yesterday I went to see her and it was amazing, and then on the way home I listened to It still moves... That's so great, then! I mean it! Just the intro of Mahgeeta when you're all happy and flying, that's just an amazing combination. Or Masterplan and Steam Engine, songs that are so freaking romantic... Well, nevermind, just thought I'd share this with you.  :)
I'm ready when you are

Martijn

Hey O guess what...I fell in love today ..well I think...and I also bought the album today (haven't had the chance to listen to it properly though)

but I'll let you know if I feel the same thing ;)