Main Menu

false-etto

Started by BandyLou, Oct 13, 2003, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandyLou

anybody else get tired of this...
Jim James' voice being referred to as a 'falsetto' over and over again in every ding-dang review of the band you read?

from dictionary.com:
"A male voice in an upper register beyond its normal range."

Unless there is a more detailed or specific definition, I don't really think of James' voice as falsetto. His voice is high, he sings high notes sometimes. A falsetto is like... Prince singing 'kiss' or Curtis Mayfield. If any of you males out there sing, you know... if you wanna hit really high notes, you can strain to a certain point, the top of your natural range... but you CAN sing higher notes - using falsetto. I really don't think that's what Jim James is doing.

Anyhoo, it's just getting annoying, reading album and band reviews... the constant references to long hair and reverb are enough, but at least they are factual and true. This falsetto thing, I don't think it is.

BandyLou

peanut butter puddin surprise

I guess it is a matter of perspective, IMHO...

But it's THE voice...falsetto or otherwise, to me.  He has a range, that's fer sure.  Clear as a church bell ringin' on Christmas morn'...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

No, I don't think he's using falsetto either... He just has a voice. Even when he speaks, he does. In fact, I almost like to hear him speak more than when he sings, you know, that weird Southern accent of his, with that high voice... He doesn't have to use his falsetto, he just has a high range. But then again, you can't deny there are times when he does use his falsetto, only just a few times... Well, most people don't have a clue what that word means anyway.
I'm ready when you are