I'm new to the band so: Which album is the best?

Started by Jonny_Moondog, Oct 13, 2003, 01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny_Moondog

Coz I wanna get it, just don't know which to get, I was thinkin of THE TENNESSEE FIRE, but just wondered what everyone else reckons?

lfish

I would say that the tennessee fire is a very good choice to start with. But to say which album is the best is very hard to say, because they are all three very different but also very good.  Why is then the tennessee fire the best album to start with? Well it's their first album, on which they dispose a very unique, raw and exciting sound. Sometimes it's just like they are playing live next to you.  The second album "At Dawn" is a little more produced, but it still remains low-fi.  The resemblance between At dawn and the tennessee fire is legio. But the third album, it still moves, is very different than the other two.  More than on the other two album's, this is a group album.  Danny Cash receives more space to do his thing and the other bandmembers are playing as a tigh unit.  And there is just only one acoustic song on it (just jim and his guitar, with a little bit of piano), while on the two other albums, there are a lot more of those acoustic songs on it. IT still moves rocks more than the other albums.  I embraced the jacket by buying the tennessee fire.  I fell in love with their sound.  With the coming of the other two albums, my love for this band just kept growing. This is the most awesome band in the universe.  

I hope I helped you out a little bit, but the best choice to make is to buy all three albums and feel the evolution they've made.

welcome to the club and spread the word
greetz
lfish
lfish

Jonny_Moondog

Thanks, I was looking more towards the 1st album anyway as it has more songs I know on it too. I appreciate what you said, thanks.

Oz

Personally, I would say their best album is It still moves, but the album that will knock you of your feet the most is The Tennessee fire. At dawn, to me, is where they tried to do what they did on It still moves, it's their first step to a band thing. Only now, with the arrival of It still moves, it's clear where they were heading. At dawn has great stuff on it, but it's the weakest of the 3, 'cuz it's a little in-between. Mind you, it's a killer-record, it's absolutely great, but they have done better. The Tennessee fire has its flaws, there are times when it sounds like shit, but it's of such rare beauty... 'I will be there when you die', for instance, is the most beautiful song they ever did. Jim will probably never write a song like that, and frankly, he shouldn't, really. Songs like that, are once-in-a-lifetime things. It's a classic, but raw and unbalanced. It still moves is balanced, well produced, it rocks like hell, it's soulful, it's damn' fine from beginning to end. The only thing is that because of those things, you won't have that "what the hell is this?"-feeling that I had with The Tennessee fire... Or, well, that's my opinion.  :)
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

hipkink

Yeah! Definitely get them all, as they are all purchase-worthy. But I have to say that At Dawn is MY favorite. It has such a mood to it. All of them do, but At Dawn fits me. But here's a question - What other bands' first three releases are as strong as Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves? Some might say Radiohead, but Pablo Honey ain't no Tennesse Fire (In my opinion). Zeppelin... I don't know... So many great bands have released crap in their first 3 go-arounds. MMJ has yet to disappoint.
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.