gimme some facts

Started by kat, Nov 06, 2003, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

hey im kat, erm i heard a MMJ song the other too and i loved it, its the first time i've heard them and i just wondered if you could give me any intresting facts or opinions on their music, i am an eager to learn young individual, hehe cheers x
kat x

Oz

Pff, what do you want to know? That they've recorded all their albums in barn? That they started as a solo project from leadsinger Jim James? That their latest album It still moves is their best, but their first album The Tennessee Fire my personal favorite? That, when they started, bass player Two-Tone Tommy had short hair? That, in those days, J. Glenn was their drummer and Danny Cash hadn't joined the band? That later J. Glenn got replaced by Chris Guetig and Danny Cash joined and then Guetig got replaced by Patrick? That of the stickers you can buy at their concerts nowadays, bass player Two-Tone Tommy like the black one best? That Dave Grohl is a clown from Two-Tone Tommy? That Jim James is currently suffering from a cold, wich caused him to temporarily lose his voice, though Riny said it's getting better already? That Riny is the webmaster of this thing and he's doing a damn fine job? That Riny was the one responsible for me seeing R.E.M. in Tivoli, a very small room of a size R.E.M. usually don't play no more? That everyone compares MMJ to Neil Young, wich is not bullshit, but getting a little annoying? That they recently signed a record deal with ATO after years with Darla? That the letter they sent to Darla was in the form of a loveletter? That they were first discovered over here in Holland, wich is why they have a Dutch webmaster? Ehm... Anymore questions?  :)
I'm ready when you are

peanut butter puddin surprise

O always covers his bases...and MMJ's at the same time!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

hipkink

That was mighty impressive! Next time anyone asks me a question about the boys, I'm sending them to O! ;)
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

JacketNation

O is the one that is real..................................................................................................informative.

Oz

Cheers, guys... And that's just half of the story!   ;)
I'm ready when you are

O, please tell the rest!

And the quip with "O" is the one that is real was just hilarious.  :)

randorph

QuoteCheers, guys... And that's just half of the story!   ;)

So what's the other half?
[size=10]anytime your war gets out of hand i'll take it on[/size]

Oz

Well... Perhaps you want to know that the cover of The Tennessee Fire is a swimming pool? That Jim was in a band called Month of Sundays before he started My Morning Jacket? That he wrote some songs then that didn't fit in the musical style of that group so he kept them for himself and those songs would end up being the material for MMJ? That MMJ were the letters he saw on a dressing gown in the dressing room of a burned down theatre in Louisville he went to check out with his friends, and he thought those letters meant My Morning Jacket and so he had a band name? That the first time he played those songs to his cousin Johnny Quaid, who was then in a band with Two Tone Tommy and J. Glenn, was on their way to a Tina Turner gig? That they made 3 albums, 4 EP's and 3 7"'s? That the picture in the middle of the booklet of At Dawn was taken by our wonderful webmaster Riny at the Cactus Festival in Brugge, Belgium? That that festival was truly awesome, really small and in a park and packed with great acts? That yours truly should be somewhere on that picture, but to this day I haven't found myself on it? That Jim used to throw presents such as boxes of orange juice into the audience at that time? That one of those boxes exploded when he threw one at that festival and that a part of the crowd was therefore covered with orange juice and that yours truly was one of them? That they used to play "Tyrone" by Erykah Buda at that time? That they also covered "Rocket Man" by Elton John? That they covered a whole bunch of songs that can be found at Nashville To Kentucky, another great, actually the first, MMJ site? That when they play "Evelyn is not real", right before the last chord, they freeze and stand absolutely still for a few minutes? That they once started a gig sitting on stools with Two-Tone Tommy lip-synching to "Beth" by Kiss, before they played their first song? That they always do something funny like that at every gig? That nowadays they end "Steam Engine" with everyone leaving the stage one by one and the music slowly fading, 'til Patrick is all alone and he suddenly starts an unexpected, heavy drum solo? That Chris Guetig, their former drummer, was also good at drum solos, wich can be heard on the split EP with Songs: Ohia? That he made art contributions long before he joined the band? That "Cobra" is their most experimental song, lasting for 24 minutes and consisting of at least 5 different parts? But maybe I should tell you that I'm gonna stop surfing and get to work again now and I'll leave the rest for part 3...  ;)
I'm ready when you are

The Gospel, as spoken by Brother O...

;D

lfish

Hey O forget that connotation about michael stipe.  Now I see I'm mistaking.  You are just Jim James, alive and kicking.  Waw man, that was impressive.
lfish

No way!  O=Jim James?  :o

Hey O...have you ever received a compliment like that before?  That's awesome...

Oz

Wow, cheers, mate.  :)

I wish I had his beard, though.
I'm ready when you are

Yeah, I'm pretty much out of luck in the beard department...(sigh)

lfish

My beard is doing fine, but I fear I will lack some hair somewhere else in the near future.  
lfish

my_evening_jacket

O, thanks for the facts - looking forward to part 3.

I had forgotten about the orange juice incident.

Rock on,

Tim
shake some action