Main Menu

covers

Started by khanja, Sep 16, 2003, 01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khanja

MMJ has done a lot of great covers in their short career, and I think they could work magic with Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky"...any others out there?

peanut butter puddin surprise

Hmmm...the dozen or so I've heard already are fantastic, so it's hard to choose.

I'd like to hear a Galaxie 500 song being covered by MMJ....maybe "Listen, the Snow is Falling" (which is a Yoko Ono song being covered by Galaxie 500, but I digress)...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

my_evening_jacket

Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
Ted Leo - The Crane Takes Flight

shake some action

DD

[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

Oz

Yeah, Galaxie 500! That'd be great. And I always love it when really great bands cover a song that's total commercial crap and turn it into something good. So, maybe some Christina Aguilera tune, or something...
I'm ready when you are

marktwain

Heard "It's Only Rock and Roll" by the Stones today--I think it would be perfect.

Also, a childhood favorite that MMJ could improve: "I Remember You" (Skid Row)

hipkink

I think they should cover "Bills, Bills, Bills" by Destiny's Child... Or "I Got A Name" by Jim Croce.
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

laguitarra

i'd love to  hear an "all the young dudes" cover as well...or any old era bowie....i think they'd do a pretty badass job of covering "20th Century boy" as well.    or maybe spandau ballet or something...ha!

----------------------------------------

otter

in Detroit we heard them sound check "Spooky" and it was cool as well....really good.

does anyone know if they have played this live on this leg? Or ever?  

thebigbang

Since I just wrote a long note about MMJ and Long Ryders in another part of the board, it got me to thinking that an absolutely perfect cover for MMJ would be the Long Ryders "I Had a Dream". Jim and John would slay with the guitar bravado of that tune, plus Jim's vocals would transport us all into another plane with the moving lyrics and attitude conveyed in that song. A perfect cover for those guys.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

ben grimm

How about 'whipping post' by the allmans? that could work

marktwain

At Headliner's the 2nd night (in Louisville) Jim did an acoustic version of the song "time of the season" it was neat-o!

wordawg

Stagefright - The Band
Dixie Chicken/Spanish Moon - Little Feat
Little 'Ol Wine Drinker Me - The Lurkers version
Big Leg Emma - Zappa
the future is Ginger

ben grimm

or 'cinnamon girl' that would melt my ears I fear!

Okay, I just heard Green Grass and High Times Forever by The Outlaws.  

If you know this song, would you think this would be a kick ass cover, or am I dreaming?  :D

otter

Ok I'm not a big fan of hers, but Lucinda Williams has a song called Bleeding Fingers...and it sounds like MMJ is the band behind her...I know it's not them, but I find it funny with all the comparisons to other bands....here was one I would have never guessed...but it was actually pretty cool. I was picturing the boys doing it as a cover...

dwight

No doubt ( not the band ), one cover that would be AMAZING would be Zepplin's "NO QUARTER".
Are you shitting me???  With the Band's vibe, Jim's voice, keyboard....
It would be freaking ridiculous!

SOMEBODY... get them to give it a go..

;D Wow, that's a great idea...

Oz

"Yellow" by Coldplay... To hear that sung by Jim. How delicious would that be?  :)
I'm ready when you are

ycartrob

Powderfinger- Neil Young
Workin' For MCA- Skynyrd
Blue Thunder- Galaxie 500
Talk of the Town- Pretenders
What Is Life?- George Harrison
Dreams- Allman Brothers
Angry Eyes- Loggins and Messina
 ;)