Really like It Still Moves.

Started by krammars, Sep 24, 2003, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krammars

I didn't know a thing about My Morning Jacket until reading about them in Rolling Stone recently and then after hearing a few samples online from It Still Moves I thought it would be worth checking out.   Well I bought the album today and like it a lot.   I like it so much I can't even decide on a favorite song yet.

I'm not even a fan of most modern music. I usually listen to stuff that falls into the classic rock/oldies category but I'm definitely going to be following this band.  In some ways they are almost like a band that could've been around in the late 60s or early 70s.

How are MMJ's previous two albums?  I plan on eventually getting them too.

Oz

Well, if you only like rock, then you might not like the previous two albums. Especially The Tennesee Fire is mostly Jim (the singer/songwriter/guit-player of the band) solo on acoustic guitar,with heartbreaking ballads. Just a few rocking band songs. Then At Dawn is a bit more with the band, but still quite introspective. The live shows, meanwhile, were rocking and fun, but it wasn't until It still moves that they did that on a record.

By the way, I also really really love It still moves, in fact, I think it's the best of all 3 now, even though The Tennesee Fire  will always have a special place in my heart. But damn, they have never gotten so close to perfection as with this album. And I still can't believe it lasts 72 minutes, 'cuz it feels like half an hour or something, it grabs you, makes you high, and time flies... A fokkin masterpiece!  :)
I'm ready when you are

the cheat

QuoteAnd I still can't believe it lasts 72 minutes, 'cuz it feels like half an hour or something, it grabs you, makes you high, and time flies... A fokkin masterpiece!  :)

this is exactly how i feel.  usually anything over 55 minutes, or so, feels way too long and would have benefited from a song or two edited out.  i don't even notice time moving while listening to It Still Moves.

krammars

Yeah I know what you mean.   It Still Moves doesn't really feel like that lengthy of an album.  Even I Will Sing You Songs tends to go by fairly quickly for a song that's over 9 minutes long.  A lot of times I'll find myself losing interest if a song goes longer than five or six minutes.

photomojo

;)
hell yeah, restores my faith in music!