LiveDaily Review

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 11, 2005, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.livedaily.com/reviews/Album_Review_My_Morning_Jacket_Z_ATO-8925.html?t=98

Album Review: My Morning Jacket, "Z" (ATO)

October 11, 2005 11:32 AM
by GF Sheffer
liveDaily Contributor
"Z" is the fourth album from Kentucky's reverb-addicted My Morning Jacket (music). At times it is epic and soaring. At times, it's absurd and annoying. Psychedelic waltz, anyone?

Related Artists / Topics  
My Morning Jacket
Related News Stories  
My Morning Jacket suits up for fall tour Luckily, though, "Z" is mostly really good--inspired, even--a snapshot of a band at its most ambitious and, with two new members, its most motivated.

Opener "Wordless Chorus" is instantly enthralling, part Flaming Lips, part Elton John-circa-"Benny and the Jets." On "Off the Record," the band pulls off its greatest success, finally translating its stage show power and skill to the studio with super-sized guitars that blend seamlessly into a cosmic Pink Floyd jam.

"Z" isn't perfect. There are moments when the Southern five-piece relapses into old habits--go-nowhere jams, cliched couplets begging for a rewrite, a waltz. But inspiration takes many forms. Despite its enigmatic title, "Z" is MMJ's most direct work yet--a union of tight hooks and spaced-out jams.