Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 11, 2005, 10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=6603

Sunday, October 9th, 2005
By: Grant HamiltonMy Morning Jacket
Z
(Ato Records)

There's something wonderful about the modern music scene, especially in that anyone can find out about any musician or band from any source – these are not the days of the AM single ruling all. And even though radio still manages to enforce a ruthless monotony on most of the songs that it plays, there are plenty of quirky, independent-minded, unusual albums getting produced. And so we end up with albums like Z, by My Morning Jacket.

Sounding like a cross between the ruthless experimentation of Wilco and the eccentric catchiness of a trendy television ad, Z is completely different from My Morning Jacket's earlier work – as if you've heard it.

Shunning the southern pop-rock that they did with such ease, My Morning Jacket has embraced the piano – and in fact, the keyboard in all of its bouncy forms. That's not to say that they've neglected their guitar rockers, however. Far from it, Z covers all of the gamut, from boring prog-pop to engrossing hip hooks. And, they're featured in Cameron Crowe's latest film, Elizabethtown, so they aren't as weird as all that.

That's not to say that their music is mainstream, however. Be prepared, as I had to be, to sit through this album at least half a dozen times before its peculiar charms become apparent – and then another half a dozen times before they insinuate themselves into your head and won't let themselves out.

This isn't a great album – far from it – but it's definitely a strong and intriguing work from a band that is gradually growing into its musical chops. There are good things ahead for My Morning Jacket, and this album could someday spawn quite a few tracks for a nice little box set.

Released: Oct. 4

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Effort: A

Oz

Laurie, no offence, but I really think you should go out and meet your friends. They're probably worried, since you spend all your time posting articles on this forum... Nice job, don't get me wrong, but christ, it sure is a lot.
I'm ready when you are

LaurieBlue

QuoteLaurie, no offence, but I really think you should go out and meet your friends. They're probably worried, since you spend all your time posting articles on this forum... Nice job, don't get me wrong, but christ, it sure is a lot.

You can't stop me now!  Ha Ha!  [smiley=pirate.gif]

Seriously, since I work at the computer all day (web design, artist promotion, local music promoter, etc.) it's easy for me to post these as I'm working.  I can't chat a lot, but I can at least get the word out.

We actually get out to see shows about 3 times a week as well.  Tonight it's Michael Penn (I'm the street team rep for him here), and we're big local music supporters.  So much so, I was given an award from it from our weekly entertainment magazine.  Not bragging, but just sayin' I do do other things :-).  Thanks for caring ;-)

Long live Music!!

Laurie