Evil Urges > Z

Started by alexzbik, Apr 21, 2008, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Quotei am kind of surprised by all this love for Into the Woods, it is the only song that i skip when listening to any mmj album.

It's a grower.  Listen to the solo version from Seattle and it might help you see the light! ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

RedPatokaSea

QuoteInto the woods is amazing, sucks so many people are turned off by it.  I would really love to see it played live again at some point, but it probably won't ever happen, at least not at a show i'm at.  So much going on in that song, so much dreamy sound to it, weird in a good way lyrics...  ahhh

I'm with you, i like it very much. Probably their most psychedelic song, along with Honest Man (which I also like). Until EU there really wasn't a single song they recorded that I didn't like.

Thank you, Into the Woods is an amazing song!  

"Where A Wood Buring Stream Flows Up Thru The Trees ... "  

In my head, those lyrics carry some vividly psychedelic associations.  

I'd have to vote for Cobra for most amazingly psychedelic MMJ song though.  It's in a category of its own.  

And to the OP, Z > EU.  There are some definite highlights, a few excellent additions to the repertoire, but the songs Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious, Two Halves, and Aluminum Park are mediocre at best ... in my own very personal opinion, in all it's subjectivity.  

Touch Me Pt. 1 & 2, Librarian, Thank You Too, Smokin from Shootin, and Remnants are all excellent.  

fitzcarraldo

QuoteI thought Z sucked.
I like EU

Of course the dark man from the Gunslinger would love "Evil" urges!  But how could he not like the spooky carnival sound of Into The Woods, or the haunting Dondante? :-/

;D Yeah I was thinking 'The Stand'. Have to read more of The Dark Tower series, only read the first one.  

This thread is Shot!  ;D    

BH

QuoteI thought Z sucked.
I like EU

Of course the dark man from the Gunslinger would love "Evil" urges!  But how could he not like the spooky carnival sound of Into The Woods, or the haunting Dondante? :-/

;D Yeah I was thinking 'The Stand'. Have to read more of The Dark Tower series, only read the first one.  

This thread is Shot!  ;D    

Oh shit, that's right, he was a much bigger character in The Stand.  It's been a long long long time since I read The  Stand.   Dark Tower gets better and better as it goes.  The first one won't hook you but I think if you read number two you'll be in for a long journey.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

alexzbik

at this point it really isn't even close.

Evil Urges > Z
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

thebugman

Quoteevery album is so amazing they're so hard to stack up against each other.

but jesus let's try:

EVIL URGES- I'm still letting it grow on me, first impressions are amazing really
Z- One of my favorites, I love it for tripping balls to or thinking deeply about things to
IT STILL MOVES- A great all around pot album, contains everything great about MMJ
AT DAWN- Just amazing music that reminds me of the Beach Boys...and great pot disc
THE TENNESSEE FIRE- Great chill out think deeply music that calms and uplifts

overall, they're amazing in their own little ways.

EVIL URGES is really weird haha, and as some people have compared it to HOUSES OF THE HOLY, I will have to agree. Really out there and crazy and schizophrenic.....completely matches up with Zeppelin's HOUSES OF THE HOLY or Radiohead's KID A.

dude dont compare the two....just dont
four on the floor and four in the air....

bowl of soup

I've only been around here for a year or so - but it seems to me that Z gets slagged on quite a bit.  I wouldn't know if EU is greater than anything as I haven't heard it other than pieces.  I think every note on Z is perfect.

I keep hearing that it was "commercially accessable".  Really??
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

PapaJoeBear

Personally, I put ISM and AD together as perfect albums.  I dont think they will ever hit that peak again,  but wouldn't be suprised if I was wrong.  You just never  know with these guys.  After those 2 gems, would be Choc. & Ice, then TTF. Then the christmas ep, and then Z. I'm imagining EU will fall either just infront or just behind TTF.  Time will tell Isuppose.

On a side note, in ref: The Dark Tower series;  one of my favorite book series ever, though I have not finished it.  I own all ofthem andI'm on the last book,  but I like where the characters are right now only 100 or so paes in, and I am so afraid as to what might happen to some of my favorite book characters ever that I just dont have the hear to read on.  If you folks have read the last book,  is it worth continuing, or does it destroy you?  I liked all books so far except for Songs of Suzanne which felt....rushed or something ... I cant put my finger on it.

tbone

QuoteIn no way is EU > then Z.   ;D

EU is very good for what it is. But trying to compare it to previous work is crazy.

If I were pitting it up against ANY of the other albums it would lose big time.

It's kind of like In Rainbows. You have to accept it for what it is and not for what it is not.

It's unfair to compare it to when MMJ was at their peak.

I really agreed with you until you mentioned "In Rainbows" - which i would argue is one of the best Radiohead records ever made and my personal fave because it has a much warmer feel to it than some of their previous efforts.... but i digress.  lol

Anywho - TO MORE IMPORTANT MATTERS which include our legendary MMJ and more specifically "Evil Urges"... as much as it pains me to say it...

and it does pain me...

Evil Urges is an okay record... but it doesn't hold a candle to At Dawn or ISM.  Z was spotty... it has some fantastic moments for sure - but i have to skip through 1 or 2 tracks and it never "flowed" or tracked as well as At Dawn or ISM.

I have listened to Evil Urges about 25-30 times thanks to a buddy owning a record store...  

It's not a "bad" record by any means... but unfortunately (for ME) - it's not a "special" record... which as we know they have made in the past and are extremely capable of making.

I look at evil urges as a slight bump in the road for 1 of my favorite all time bands.  I have faith in them and know that they can and will continue to make great music in the future...

Again - this is just my opinion (and you know what they say about those!!!)

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade - but just offering just 1 little person's perspective.

songdiver

At Dawn is still my favorite album ever, but Evil Urges is quickly coming close to entering my top 5.  This album combines every genre and era of music, and at times changes genres/eras 4,5,6 times in certain songs.  This has never been done, at least not with this power.  Actually I've never even heard any of this attempted.  

Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Michael Jackson, Prince, Pink Floyd, The Boss, Lennon, Westerberg, James Taylor, Rick James, Guns N Roses, Rammstein, Beegees, Beach Boys, Poison, Alabama, and My Morning Jacket all on one album.  That's just what I heard, but there were a lot of moments I didn't know how to connect.  

1. At Dawn
2. Circulatory System
3. Zaireeka
4. Sunset Tree
5. Yoshimi...

5. Evil Urges?

"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

tbone

QuoteAt Dawn is still my favorite album ever, but Evil Urges is quickly coming close to entering my top 5.  This album combines every genre and era of music, and at times changes genres/eras 4,5,6 times in certain songs.  This has never been done, at least not with this power.  Actually I've never even heard any of this attempted.  

Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Michael Jackson, Prince, Pink Floyd, The Boss, Lennon, Westerberg, James Taylor, Rick James, Guns N Roses, Rammstein, Beegees, Beach Boys, Poison, Alabama, and My Morning Jacket all on one album.  That's just what I heard, but there were a lot of moments I didn't know how to connect.  

1. At Dawn
2. Circulatory System
3. Zaireeka
4. Sunset Tree
5. Yoshimi...

5. Evil Urges?

Top 5 of all time???

hmmm....

let's see...

1.  Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
2.  Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
3.  Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
4.  Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
5.  Flaming Lips - Yoshimi
5a.  My Morning Jacket - At Dawn

...and about 100 other records.... lol

OZs Frozen Castle

This is my first post, I will apologize in advance if I commit a internet etiquette mistake. I can't help but get in on the top 5 record conversation.

1. Astral Weeks-Van Morrison
2. Southern Rock Opera- DBT
3. At Dawn- MMJ
4. Pet Sounds- BB
5. Moby Grape- MG

I am a 32 yo, Chef from Louisville, with varying degrees of interest in all music if that makes any sense.

sweatboard

1. At Dawn
2. On The Beach
3. Revolver
4. Bringing It All Back Home
5. Dookie
There's Still Time.........