From Streogum

Started by shockadow, Jun 04, 2008, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shockadow

Touch Me I'm Going To Stream (In An Internet Jukebox) If You Don't

You've likely been prematurely evaluating Evil Urges for weeks now, but give credit to MMJ for exploring another mode of experimentation with pre-release album hyping: the internet jukebox preview system. Wired's got a piece detailing how MMJ are helping open this bold new frontier in peddling wares to a captive and wasted audience.

Essentially, anywhere you see an internet-connected jukebox, you'll be able to hear My Morning Jacket's music in advance of its official release.
"When a fan favorite such as My Morning Jacket partners with us before their record is for sale, they reach people in a place where music is one of the most important parts of the experience," said Lisa Tiver, Ecast's senior vice president of business affairs.

Sweet. Next challenge for the music industry: making people remember what they enjoyed listening to while getting wasted in bars. Also, while we don't approve of drinking and driving in reality or in blogging ... I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Jim James brought his omnichord to London for a Black Cab Session and cruised around while singing "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2." Ahh, now the tortured post title sorta makes sense. Watch it http://www.blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1212166715&sort=chronological#.

Evil Urges is out 6/10 via ATO. Stream the whole thing at MMJspace. Or at your local internet jukebox equipped watering hole.

Posted at 4:11 PM by amrit in Video
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

The DARK

That is an amazing idea.  :D
In another time, in another place, in another face

shockadow

Here's some more....

QuoteLouisville's Velocity Weekly profiles local boys My Morning Jacket.

These days, the budget is a little higher, enabling the band to bask in -- or more accurately, hide behind -- one of the more ornate light shows extant, a feature that makes the concert experience a little less attractive to the seizure prone, but one that confirms the desire to elevate every gig to event status. James's flair for the dramatic might well be the single most important factor in My Morning Jacket's ascent from the realm of beer-stained passenger vans. Sure, the ability to extend guitar duels past the 10-minute mark won 'em respect in the jam-band world -- not to mention a goodly number of knowing nods from aging hipsters who search for the new Television as doggedly as record-biz bean-counters once tried to ferret out the next Dylan. But while mere virtuosity isn't in short supply in the underground rock scene these days -- oversized orchestral-pop ensembles seem to lope out of the shadows on a weekly basis, after all -- the ability to reduce an audience to rapt silence, well, that's another story altogether.
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.