Main Menu

questions...

Started by tigrl, Oct 21, 2003, 10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrl

aw, guess I don't read lots of articles..forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question... :o

but found myself wondering this the other day. Does anyone know the significance of the name 'My Morning Jacket'? How that name came to be? Is there any story...?

when I first heard that name, it was kindof unusual and almost not easy to remember...so I actually went out of my way to try to remember it. The jacket part was pretty easy...from there I'd sortof get it..quite easily. Cuz it was important to remember...had to mention them whenever I could...

kinda picture...bunch of guys/dudes...living in the country....waking up on a crisp dewy morning....cows mooing and roosters crowing....grabbing their 'morning jacket'(s)....out in the fresh air...and walking by the ole barn(s)...off to do whatever they gotta do..first thing that day...sun shining down on. (can almost smell the manuer...hey I'm Dutch! so...) Well anyways...something like that....

Question #2: Do they really record 'in a barn'? I mean I really don't care...read somewhere they record 'at home' I think..is that on some land or something? But anyways, last show as I was leaving...I had quite a few little conversations..with whoever was just as buzzed and all as me...I mean on the music and magnificent show. (there were alot of big smiles and happy grins and glowing faces that night..at end of that show I tell ya!) One guy said "ya know, they record in a bar." So anyways...I'm curious...

and 'my evening jacket'...that's funny!

lfish

hey,

Here's the answer to your two questions:

question 1:

The group's christening was as nebulous as the sound they were developing. During James' college stint at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, a bar called Boots next to James' arts building burned down, and James happened to be walking past the charred remains and spied a painting of a woman seemingly floating in mid-air.

"It was like the painting didn't exist," says James. "It was like I could put my hand though it but I could touch it on the wall. I don't even know how to describe it. It was all ripped up and weird looking; it was this lady wearing a robe with MMJ on it and I was thinking what MMJ could mean. To me, it meant My Morning Jacket."

Question 2:

By the following year, James and Quaid had added bassist Two-Tone Tommy and drummer J. Glenn (keyboardist Danny Cash, who learned to play keys just to secure the gig, officially joined three years later) and the band began rehearsing in the space above Quaid's grandparents' three-car garage in remote Shelbyville, Kentucky. The rehearsal space slowly filled with increasingly advanced recording equipment until the band had created the Above the Cadillac Studio, the ruggedly pastoral space where all three of MMJ's albums have been recorded. The importance of Above the Cadillac to the overall vision and ultimate reality of MMJ cannot be overstated.

"It's our refuge, our hiding place," says James. "It's always been a really cool place. We've been lucky enough to go out there in the middle of nowhere and escape from it all and not worry about playing too loud or too late."

If you want to read the whole article, just go to the thread "Amplifier magazine cover story"

Greetz,
Lfish

lfish

my_evening_jacket

and 'my evening jacket'...that's funny!

I am considering having my name legally changed to my evening jacket....... ;)
shake some action

hipkink

Yeah - I always liked your screen name too. It's so simple, and so brilliant. ;)
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

my_evening_jacket

QuoteYeah - I always liked your screen name too. It's so simple, and so brilliant. ;)

;D  :D
shake some action

Flo

Hey tigrl Welcome to the BB, check out the front cover of ISM, the barn is featured rather trippilly (along with the bear) PLUS the video "behind the Scenes" linked on the front page www.mymorningjacket.com shows a lot of interior shots as well. It looks rather expansive so it must be very comfortable and obviously condusive to making excellent music.
52ND STREAM MEDIA, UNLTD.
WWW.52MEDIA.COM
POB 7005 LOUISVILLE KY 40257
SEND PRESS KITS GET ON OUR BROADCASTS

tigrl

omg! I never expected anything like this...this (damn) interesting! that may be just about the most esoteric and trippy meaning of a band name I've ever heard! no wonder I never had the least bit of trouble remembering that name...tho took a bit of effort at first...so worth it now too! wow...what an image! just picturing Jim standing there moved and awed and somehow oddly touched by this moment and image...and making it into such significance as the name of his/their band. I can soo relate to that too! Wonderful.

very cool bout the studio too! so not really a barn..but kindof a barn. (ok, runs off to look at ISM cover again...and with even more curiosity and awe than already before...specially the bear thing...and all) Ok, thank you so much! (btw: a bear actually ran in front of 'our' house..the other day...kinda scary but...)

you guys are kind! I will def check that out. Above the Cadillac is a cool name too..for the studio. So they are wearin masks? Trippy...did I say trippy?! Oh..just reread..yer posts, comments too..you said trippily too! (ok)

btw: did I say...don't think so. I checked the cover notes...lyrics and all...of ISM...and well it seems...I'm gathering that the song titles might be written in Jim's handwriting...??

cuz anyways...well that confirms it...cuz I did some checking....pretty much the same or similar enough...to that 'Neil Young' ahem...autograph I got...at the recent MMJ show here. ha ha! ;D Promise..next time, it's gonna be a MMJ cd cover to sign..if ask at all...Not a Neil Young cd...(tho I actually didn't feel that bad about it really...as Grandaddy guy/band member has said "Neil Young is God!" He's def pretty cool so....)

wow...better check this board more often. These answers are so much more than I expected...and hoped for. Now I love the band even more! (more respect...ya know..artistically and all...) :o

and ya...I so love that...'my evening jacket'...fo sure. (you need a little spinning around head emoticon here..use that alot sometimes...j/k)