MONSTERS OF FOLK!!

Started by Shakeykneez, Jun 10, 2009, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The IFC website said the "Say Please" video would be on around 10:26 pm Eastern.  Acutally came on around 10:23 pm.  Interesting video.  Kinda silly, but if it helps get the music out to the random public, that's cool.  

Anyone have a sense as to MoF popularity outside this cult of ours?  I note it was the number one album in college radio, according to Rolling Stone, for a few weeks.  Dropped to number two in the recent issue.  And the wife saw MoF for sale at Target today, "on sale" for $9.99.  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sidus

Saw the Monsters last Saturday in The Hague. Very, very good, unforgetable  show  :D. Never seen a band having so much fun on stage (especially Conor was jumping all around the place). Show lasted for 2,5 hours and they played 5 or 6 MMJ songs (Bermudia Highway, At Dawn, Look At You, Smokin from Shootin from what I remember). It was really great. They had a 5th Monster as well, Will Johnson, who played the drums. He sang 2 songs as well, he has a great bluesy voice. Yim Yames played a lot on the bass. Dear God was really awesome, unbelieveable! Loved every moment of it, what a show it was!  8-)

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Ruckus

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxjizZJXGg&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

everyone see this yet? more jim i think

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxjizZJXGg&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

everyone see this yet? more jim i think

Awesomeness. Thanks.

...dare I say better than M singing it?  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

As someone who sadly regrets missing out seeing MOF this time around, can anyone confirm or not if a different Monster usually sang different songs/verses live than on teh album?

Meaning like the SB&Me version Dills posted, and this version of Temazcal?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_aQIysiySs[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteAs someone who sadly regrets missing out seeing MOF this time around, can anyone confirm or not if a different Monster usually sang different songs/verses live than on teh album?

Meaning like the SB&Me version Dills posted, and this version of Temazcal?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_aQIysiySs[/media]

They were all done like the album version when I saw them.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BIGVICLBI

In the new rolling stone mag Tom Petty throws out Monsters of Folk as one of the records out there that he is enjoying.

weeniebeenie

QuoteIn the new rolling stone mag Tom Petty throws out Monsters of Folk as one of the records out there that he is enjoying.
Yay!!!! Go Tom.
How loud can silence get?

xmascriminal

Last night in the dining hall the video for Say Please was playing on MTV. It was completely bizarre to look up and see Jim. It actually took me a while to register that it was really him.

The DARK

QuoteFox News Best Albums Of 2009:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2009/11/17/play-skip-new-music-tuesdays-foxcom?slide=2

;D at the idea of Fox News being the "definative unbiased source" on the best albums of the year as well.

I'll admit, they did put some great albums on there (Avett Bros, Morrissey), but some of the pop choices are a tad embarressing.
In another time, in another place, in another face

jones

QuoteFox News Best Albums Of 2009:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2009/11/17/play-skip-new-music-tuesdays-foxcom?slide=2

;D at the idea of Fox News being the "definative unbiased source" on the best albums of the year as well.

I'll admit, they did put some great albums on there (Avett Bros, Morrissey), but some of the pop choices are a tad embarressing.

Come on Dark, don't you think that Bill O'Reilly knows what's up when it comes to current music?
::)

Maybe someone stole one of the intern's iPods and turned it into this list.

SaraBananaBear

QuoteMonsters of Folk got together back in February and recorded for a little while. This particular recording session was definitely more of a collaboration. Getting the glimpse into those three writers' lives or general motions, as far as completing a song, has definitely been insightful and educational.
- Will Johnsson, September 2012

Found here

:D :D :D :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BH

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Sep 06, 2012, 10:40 AM
QuoteMonsters of Folk got together back in February and recorded for a little while. This particular recording session was definitely more of a collaboration. Getting the glimpse into those three writers' lives or general motions, as far as completing a song, has definitely been insightful and educational.

Found here

Sweet!    Speaking of Will, check out his new solo album streaming below.   It's really really good!

http://www.will-johnson.com/
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Sep 06, 2012, 10:40 AM

Found here

Nice.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

LeanneP

I'm just going to say "Hi!" to the thread so I'm tagged in it :) 

I'm so late to the game and only heard the MOF album a month ago, but I listen daily as I'm completely OBSESSED with the darned thing! 

:cheesy:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm just going to say "Hi!" to the thread so I'm tagged in it :) 

I'm so late to the game and only heard the MOF album a month ago, but I listen daily as I'm completely OBSESSED with the darned thing! 

:cheesy:

Welcome to the Monsters of Folk thread! :thumbsup: What's your favorite song off the album? Or top three since it might be hard to pick just one...  :smiley:

LeanneP

I'd have to do at least three, and they could change at any time, but I think right now I find myself singing (around the house, when not listening to the albums, tho it is assumed and a reality that if music is playing, I'm singing out loud, very loud):

• The Right Place
  • The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me
  • Temezcul

Ask me in an hour and the list might change  :grin:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'd have to do at least three, and they could change at any time, but I think right now I find myself singing (around the house, when not listening to the albums, tho it is assumed and a reality that if music is playing, I'm singing out loud, very loud):

• The Right Place
  • The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me
  • Temezcul

Ask me in an hour and the list might change  :grin:

Excellent choices! :thumbsup: